PDA

View Full Version : Church Polling places

ASayre
10-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Cali4RonPaul
10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Here in Santa Barbara, the local elections are here in '07 for city council.

As I got my sample ballot, it was printed that my nearest polling place is a church.

I have nothing against any religion, but last I checked, there was supposed to be a separation of church and state?

What if I was Muslim and didn't feel comfortable being in a Catholic church, and all the various decor within? Or Vice versa?

Schools or other buildings would be more acceptable.

I wouldn't worry about a Catholic center being used as a polling station. I grew up Catholic and went to parochial school all the way up to college. Typically they have an auditorium or public center which is neutral. They hold bingo nights there, theater plays, town gatherings..

They would not have polling inside the church itself. ;)

McDermit
10-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeeeeah, no biggie. This has been going on for decades in various parts of the country. Churches, fire houses, municipal buildings, the Jewish community center, schools (parochial and public,) whatever other building is available.

If it's offensive, get an absentee ballot.

Wendi
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
In a lot of small towns in the midwest, the local public school still uses the same building that is a church on Sunday morning.

Ideally, there would be enough neutral buildings to not have to use churches. But I'm glad that, since there is a need, the churches are still willing to provide the space for this important public service.

I'd still vote, even if the polling place was a mosque...

Zarxrax
10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't really see how this is a "seperation of church and state" issue at all. You need buildings to hold the polls in. A church happens to be a building that is available for use. You hopefully aren't going to be required to confess Jesus Christ to be your Lord and savior before they allow you to vote... that would be an obvious problem. Just having to go into a church, though, shouldn't offend anyone, IMO.

micahnelson
10-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Learn 2 Not Be Offended, IMO.

steph3n
10-19-2007, 01:24 PM
churches are in some towns the best most open place, and schools won't allow in some areas, for whatever reason.

tfelice
10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I have nothing against any religion, but last I checked, there was supposed to be a separation of church and state?

No offense, but as a Ron Paul supporter you should be informed enough not to throw this term around. The Establishment Clause in the Constitution does not have anything to do with state & local election boards using church buildings as polling places.

Corydoras
10-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Another less well-known factor is that polling places are supposed to be wheelchair accessible. Many towns have a shortage of wheelchair-accessible buildings, and if a precinct has a church that happens to be, but no other suitable public areas, it will be used. Nursing home and assisted-living community common rooms are good on wheelchair accessibility, for obvious reasons, but not all such facilities are big enough to have a common room.