Live on C-Span: Rally to Restore Sanity
Jon Stewart

http://www.c-span.org/Special/Live-Social.aspx

johnrocks
10-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks! Looks like a lot of people.

TNforPaul45
10-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes, there are quite a few people there. Just goes to show that people respond more to TV personalities than to actual unions, politicians (except us and Ron), etc.

Dreamofunity
10-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Myth Busters currently. Kind of a weird rally.

paulitics
10-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks! Looks like a lot of people.

The guy on stage just said "now that I got 150,000 of you under my control", but to me it looks like much more than that. I would say it looks like more than Beck's rally.

paulitics
10-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Most of these people are there because of image, they think it is fun and cool. My guess is alot of these people aren't all that politically wound up, but are more fans of john Stewart and Colbert. So far, this isn't a political rally.

MRoCkEd
10-30-2010, 10:56 AM
That mythbusters segment was painful. Seemed like they were entertaining little kids at a birthday party.

This isn't the best timing for 150,000 liberals to be rallying rather than GOTV. lol

Kludge
10-30-2010, 10:57 AM
lol, managed to forget about this. Thanks for the link.

Politics are generally so impersonal and disconnected from what's actually happening, I'd be very surprised if unions/politicians were able to pull in more attention than Stewart/Colbert.

TNforPaul45
10-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Hahhaa. "Now we have you all under our control." That's what politicians REALLY want to say.

hillertexas
10-30-2010, 10:58 AM
What a bizarre "rally"

Kludge
10-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Hm. Is this technically a hymn?

heavenlyboy34
10-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Hahhaa. "Now we have you all under our control." That's what politicians REALLY want to say.

qft! :D

Kludge
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
He really seems to be sticking up for Beck a bit in his satire, mocking "news" sources which attacked Beck's rally size & demographics.

paulitics
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Stewart on live. Focuses on race, while insinuating those at the other rally are racists because they are all white. What a dick.

paulitics
10-30-2010, 11:04 AM
If I was there, and they asked me to say my race i would say go fuck yourself.

Kludge
10-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Stewart on live. Focuses on race, while insinuating those at the other rally are racists because they are all white. What a dick.

You're a dumbass if you're being serious, and I'd take a ban for that.

Did you watch Jersey Shore and assume it was an accurate representation of Italians in the US?

Dreamofunity
10-30-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm with Kludge. It seemed like he was defending Beck.

paulitics
10-30-2010, 11:18 AM
You're a dumbass if you're being serious, and I'd take a ban for that.

Did you watch Jersey Shore and assume it was an accurate representation of Italians in the US?

I seriously don't comprehend your post here. I was pointing out how Stewart was the one focusing on race, and at the same time implying the tea partiers were racists for not being more diverse. Sounds like Chris Mathews to me, and we need to get beyond race don't you agree? WTF is your problem with that?

Kludge
10-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I seriously don't comprehend your post here. I was pointing out how Stewart was the one focusing on race, and at the same time implying the tea partiers were racists for not being more diverse. Sounds like Chris Mathews to me, and we need to get beyond race don't you agree? WTF is your problem with that?

He was doing the opposite. Read up on satire. You ever wonder why he comes off as so disingenuous when he's acting like an asshole? It's on purpose.

charrob
10-30-2010, 11:25 AM
oh my GOD it's Cat Stevens!!!!!:)

He just finished his tour of Austrailia!

CaseyJones
10-30-2010, 11:29 AM
god ozzy sounds like crap

HOLLYWOOD
10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
frigin OZZY singing Crazy Train.

Nice comedic pants on these clowns.. Stewart and Colbert

I thought Cat Stevens was banned from entering the US.

libertarian4321
10-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey, if I was still stationed at Ft. Meade (outside of DC), I'd go.

Good free entertainment.

Of course, I'd be wearing my leftover Ron Paul gear :)

CaseyJones
10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
We Are the Love Train!!! Dammit!

libertarian4321
10-30-2010, 11:35 AM
We Are the Love Train!!! Dammit!

ozzy and the Ojays for free- that would have cost big money in ... 1981 , lol

specsaregood
10-30-2010, 11:36 AM
This isn't the best timing for 150,000 liberals to be rallying rather than GOTV.
I disagree with that statement in its entirety.

tangent4ronpaul
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
This isn't the best timing for 150,000 liberals to be rallying rather than GOTV. lol

Never thought of Jon Stewart as a conservative. Great tactic Jon! :D

-t

Kludge
10-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Fantastic jab at NPR.

Kludge
10-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Okay - okay -- Paul, you see how they're selling the merchandise to "merch" an' die for? Souvenirs to remember the most memorable day in your life?

They're not being serious. It's satire.

heavenlyboy34
10-30-2010, 12:02 PM
If I was there, and they asked me to say my race i would say go fuck yourself.

Nah. If they ask you your race, you should just say "human". ;):cool:

HOLLYWOOD
10-30-2010, 12:05 PM
yeah... Rally to Restore Sanity is just Reefer Madness weekend.

Enjoy the comedy hour and music.. screw the Public relations firms to the political parties, MSM.

A little point on INSANITY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5cGYBV2TQ (http://youtu.be/zQ5cGYBV2TQ)

paulitics
10-30-2010, 12:07 PM
He was doing the opposite. Read up on satire. You ever wonder why he comes off as so disingenuous when he's acting like an asshole? It's on purpose.

I'm actually pretty good on satire, but maybe you can explain to a slow person such as myself, instead of the insults. Who was he satiring, Beck, or MSNBC?

Trust me, I get Stephen Colbert, or when Stewart is doing his Beck chalkboard
impression poking fun at his over the top paranoia. Beck is known for his histrionics, so it is funny.

But what was his message here, to make fun of those like Chris Mathews who focus on race, or Beck because he rally was too white? Now if Beck obsessively harps on about how diverse his crowd was at his rally when it wasn't, than I can see the satire in the whole thing because it would be funny, but I don't recall Beck doing this at his rally or anytime thereafter. I do admit that I only watched clips of Beck's rally, so perhaps I missed something douchey that Beck did.

libertarian4321
10-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Mick Foley, a great American!

paulitics
10-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Nah. If they ask you your race, you should just say "human". ;):cool:

Yeah, that's a better response, or like the one girl who said "I'm American", was a better response than I am phlipino, or morrocan, or whatever. Who cares about race? It's old.

Kludge
10-30-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm actually pretty good on satire, but maybe you can explain to a slow person such as myself, instead of the insults. Who was he satiring, Beck, or MSNBC?

Trust me, I get Stephen Colbert, or when Stewart is doing his Beck chalkboard
impression poking fun at his over the top paranoia. Beck is known for his histrionics, so it is funny.

But what was his message here, to make fun of those like Chris Mathews who focus on race, or Beck because he rally was too white? Now if Beck obsessively harps on about how diverse his crowd was at his rally when it wasn't, than I can see the satire in the whole thing because it would be funny, but I don't recall Beck doing this at his rally or anytime thereafter. I do admit that I only watched clips of Beck's rally, so perhaps I missed something douchey that Beck did.

He was bringing up race and said the media would call him racist if he didn't have a good demographics set, so he started having everyone list their ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation.

He wasn't mocking Beck, he was mocking the people who mocked Beck's rally as racist because it was full of White people.

Sorry for going at you like I did, earlier.

GreenCardSeeker
10-30-2010, 12:27 PM
It sure feels stupid the way they're mocking right-wingers, but I guess the audience isn't too sophisticated and will feel at home with it.

Kludge
10-30-2010, 12:32 PM
It sure feels stupid the way they're mocking right-wingers, but I guess the audience isn't too sophisticated and will feel at home with it.

Stewart also mocked liberals (himself) in his "America is the greatest, strongest nation in the world" (or w/e it was) song. He also went after some liberal media sources and "journalists," and specifically jabbed at NPR.

Colbert is not a representation of conservatives. He's a satirical dramatized version of a conservative as stereotyped by the people Stewart/Colbert are also mocking.

Just like The Situation isn't supposed to be a representation of the average Italian-American, Colbert isn't supposed to be a representation of the average conservative.

If you associate Colbert with the average conservative, then I don't think you're sophisticated enough to understand Colbert/Stewart.

Kludge
10-30-2010, 12:38 PM
That clip about the different MSM voices - right and left - using fear as a promotion tactic, was a good example of the real target in this rally.

Kludge
10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
That clip about the different MSM voices - right and left - using fear as a promotion tactic, was a good example of the real target in this rally.

And here's Stewart saying it explicitly.

MsDoodahs
10-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow that was a total bomb.

Depressed Liberator
10-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Wow that was a total bomb.

huh?

EndDaFed
10-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Ozzy for the win. The crazy train is where it's at.

eOs
10-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Thought it was great. Spoke to the underpinnings that make us human..Can't argue with that..great speech at the end by Stewart.

QueenB4Liberty
10-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Thought it was great. Spoke to the underpinnings that make us human..Can't argue with that..great speech at the end by Stewart.

Yeah I liked the end.

paulitics
10-30-2010, 01:11 PM
He was bringing up race and said the media would call him racist if he didn't have a good demographics set, so he started having everyone list their ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation.

He wasn't mocking Beck, he was mocking the people who mocked Beck's rally as racist because it was full of White people.

Sorry for going at you like I did, earlier.

I guess I missed when Stewart said that. All I heard was "look at the diversity of this crowd, it is much more colorful", "there is alot of color in this crowd", and then he proceeded to ask everyone's race, which I though made those people uncomfortable.

Perhaps I missed the context, because I know Stewart does satire on conservatives about 10 to 1, so I wasn't expecting any mocking of the other side.
I was totally expecting Stewart to come out choked up and crying like Beck or something. I will rewatch it again, when it hits the tubes.

AGRP
10-30-2010, 01:15 PM
So it's a concert?

TheeJoeGlass
10-30-2010, 01:26 PM
So it's a concert?

It's silly. Exactly at what point is Stewart supposed to change the country? Before or after Kid Rock's set?

Kludge
10-30-2010, 01:27 PM
So it's a concert?

It had a message and theme, but there was a lot of fun. They gave 4 awards to people in the world who have acted very reasonably (a baseball player who shook the hand of an umpire who made an important call wrong, a woman who questioned Obama but was respectful even though she disagreed, uh.... and two other people). Stewart gave a sincere speech about how dysfunctional MSM has become, and they did their regular satire on false stereotypes.

There was music and comedy, however, and it probably took up the most time, although it all had a theme to it supporting civility.

AGRP
10-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Stewart gave a sincere speech about how dysfunctional MSM has become.

Stewart is owned by Viacom.

http://www.newsbusters.org/search/node/stewart

Kludge
10-30-2010, 01:32 PM
It's silly. Exactlyat hat point is Stewart supposed to change the country? Before or after Kid Rock's set?

Stewart recognizes that a lot of people who vote don't follow politics as regularly as they probably should, and get their news from loud-mouths like Glen Beck and Keith Olbermann.

People don't have to be bored to death to discuss serious topics. Many great movers, like Voltaire, have put out their serious messages with humor. It was likely because of his humor that his books were read.

It's also likely the same reason Paine's pamphlet was read by so many. It wasn't snooty and intellectual - it was vulgar.

Kludge
10-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Stewart is owned by Viacom.

[/URL][URL]http://www.newsbusters.org/search/node/stewart (http://www.newsbusters.org/search/node/stewart)

He's paid by Viacom. So what? Was your link supposed to prove something? That Stewart didn't attack the MSM?

HOLLYWOOD
10-30-2010, 01:34 PM
The best was the Bravey/Fear award to thr 6 year girl because she showed, but the Main Stream Media banned it's employees from attending this event, because they would appear too liberal... they even posted the Corporate Media CGI logos: AP/Reuters, CBS, ABC, NPR.

Funny stuff.

It had a message and theme, but there was a lot of fun. They gave 4 awards to people in the world who have acted very reasonably (a baseball player who shook the hand of an umpire who made an important call wrong, a woman who questioned Obama but was respectful even though she disagreed, uh.... and two other people). Stewart gave a sincere speech about how dysfunctional MSM has become, and they did their regular satire on false stereotypes.

There was music and comedy, however, and it probably took up the most time, although it all had a theme to it supporting civility.

AGRP
10-30-2010, 01:57 PM
He's paid by Viacom. So what? Was your link supposed to prove something? That Stewart didn't attack the MSM?

The link provides ample evidence that he's anything but a promoter of liberty; that he's a part of the MSM.

teacherone
10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
this is good--
So what exactly was this? I can't control what people think this was, I can only tell you my intentions. This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith or people of activism, or to look down our noses at the heartland or passionate argument, or to suggest that times are not difficult and we have nothing to fear. They are and we do.

But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus and not be enemies. But unfortunately, one of our main tools in delineating the two broke. The country's 24-hour politico-pundit- perpetual-panic conflictinator did not cause our problems, but its existence makes solving them that much harder.

The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems, bring them into focus, illuminating issues -- or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden unexpected dangerous
flaming ant epidemic. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing. …

Not being able to distinguish between real racists and tea partiers, or real bigots and Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez, is an insult not only to those people, but to the racists themselves who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate. Just as the inability to distinguish terrorists from Muslims makes us less safe, not more. ...

That being said, I feel strangely, calmly good, because the image of Americans that is reflected back to us by our political and media process is false. It is us through a funhouse mirror, and not the good kind that makes you look slim and maybe taller, but the kind that gives you a giant forehead and maybe an ass shaped like a month-old pumpkin. We hear every damn day about how fragile our country is, on the brink of disaster, torn by polarizing hate. …

The truth is, we work together to get things done every damn day. The only place we don't is here, or on cable TV -- but Americans don't live here or on cable TV. ... We know that as a people if we're going to get through the darkness and back into the light, we have to work together. ...

And sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the promised land, it's just New Jersey, but we do it anyway.