PDA

View Full Version : Protect net-neutrality

MrKoffee
10-19-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt0XUocViE

The internet is one of the main reasons that Dr. Paul has gained so much popularity. There are plans to regulate it though like we've regulated TV and Radio. That is a world I don't want to live in, the internet is the most groundbreaking revolution to occur in my lifetime. It would be a depressing day if the freedom and net-neutrality of the internet comes to an end.

specsaregood
10-19-2007, 10:45 AM

The internet is one of the main reasons that Dr. Paul has gained so much popularity. There are plans to regulate it though like we've regulated TV and Radio. That is a world I don't want to live in, the internet is the most groundbreaking revolution to occur in my lifetime. It would be a depressing day if the freedom and net-neutrality of the internet comes to an end.

You do realize that Ron Paul is AGAINST the Net Neutrality bill, right?

Here he is on the house floor speaking out AGAINST the bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b7_h_OyTI0

It comes to this:
1. Do you want to invite the government into regulating the internet?
or
Would you rather rely on the free market.

The Net Neutrality bill is yet another example of a bill that sounds like a good idea, but once you give the government the right to regulate the internet, where will it stop.

libertarianguy
10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
test

MrKoffee
10-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm a strong believer in free markets and don't believe in ANY government regulation. If I'm not mistaken are you saying that the reason Dr. Paul voted against the net-neutrality bill is because it actually subtly allowed government control of the internet?

I admit I'm not very informed on the issue, all I know is that I appreciate the contributions the internet has given to society and I intend to do what's in my power to ensure it remains that way.

steph3n
10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm a strong believer in free markets and don't believe in ANY government regulation. If I'm not mistaken are you saying that the reason Dr. Paul voted against the net-neutrality bill is because it actually subtly allowed government control of the internet?

I admit I'm not very informed on the issue, all I know is that I appreciate the contributions the internet has given to society and I intend to do what's in my power to ensure it remains that way.

Dr Paul will work tirelessly to insure the internet is not having added taxes or regulation. He said that a few days ago on a Fox business interview.

MrKoffee
10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Dr Paul will work tirelessly to insure the internet is not having added taxes or regulation. He said that a few days ago on a Fox business interview.

Excellent, just another reason to vote for this guy.

specsaregood
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM

Thats EXACTLY it. "Net-Neutrality" is inviting the government onto the internet to regulate it, vs. companies deciding how to regulate it based on the free market.

Besides, EVERYONE already knows that corporations own most of our "Representatives" in congress anyways. So the government passing this "net-neutrality" bill is in my opinion, just a guise of doing us "good" when it is really being pushed behind the scenes by those same corporations that it pretends to protect us against.

Watch that youtube of Ron Paul speaking out against it. As usual, he just makes sense.

Edit: or ask yourself this. Would you like to invite the FCC control of the internet? Or an FCC-type beauracracy? I'd rather keep the government out of it.

murrayrothbard
10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
...just a guise of doing us "good" when it is really being pushed behind the scenes by those same corporations that it pretends to protect us against.

that's pretty much how every "progressive" regulation works... :(

ARealConservative
10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Neutrality - tolerance attributable to a lack of involvement

Network Neutrality Act - Government Involvement in the internet.

There is absolutely nothing neutral about the Network Neutrality Act. The name itself is misleading - similar to the patriot act.

This is how it always happens. We implemented the 16th amendment because of fears of those big corporations eventually stockpiling all the nations wealth - now we can soak the rich with taxes. Soon enough this new law was used against the little guy. You make minimum wage you will be taxed before you see a dime.

We implement the PATRIOT Act out of fear once again.

And here we are today. Fearful of what those dirty rotten rich companies will do so we pass an act giving government power to fix the problem that doesn't yet exist.

I think it's time to remind people that those big rich corporations own Washington. Giving Washington power to protect us from big rich corporations will never work.

Shink
10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Lesson 1: "Net Neutrality"="Fairness Doctrine"="Democracy"="Equality"="PATRIOT ACT"="Terrorism"="Homeland Security." When a phrase is used, created, chewed up and mangled by the government/media, your suspicion should be raised imnediately.

rdenner
10-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Not to beat a dead horse here, but Ron Paul is ADAMANTLY against net neutrality. This is one of those WAR=Peace Lies=truth type issues.

Net neutrality is just the government trying to get it's nose under the tent, under the guise of "fairness".

Don't fall for it.

All but one of the founders of the Internet Protocol(the TCP/IP GUYS) are against this assinine legislation.

DON'T FALL FOR IT...

Robert

jd603
10-19-2007, 12:10 PM
This won't fix the problem, the problem is current regulation that makes it hard for smaller companies to compete.

Net Neutrality is a bandaid.

Malakai0
10-19-2007, 12:12 PM
The 'Net-Neutrality Act' has an insidious name. It's goal was ok, to prevent ISP's from directing traffic one way or the other, but there is a quiet catch.

This would be the first authority given to the government to regulate what someone on it does. Even though it seems like the bill is there to protect the people against the big evil ISP's, its giving regulatory control to the big evil government.

We can switch ISP's if we dont like them, they do stuff custies don't like, they can go out of business. It's a free market, give your money to who you want.
You can't switch government.

Energy
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Just curious, how can a free market prevent a big telco from controlling what you see, or what you don't see?

steph3n
11-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Just curious, how can a free market prevent a big telco from controlling what you see, or what you don't see?

well the telco's wouldn't be so big in a free market, because it wouldn't take million upon millions to enter a phone market in regulation fees.

bbachtung
11-14-2007, 04:08 PM

Come to XYZ Corporation's internet service -- all sites are treated equally!

Consumer Reports rates our internet service the "most neutral."

jpa
11-14-2007, 04:09 PM

if you don't like the service you are getting, you switch ISPs. Consumers choice is the best way to keep the net free. Government regulation is a fools game. Telcom lobbyists are a political MACHINE. Consumers would lose in the long run if government got involved.

ISPs like NetZero would be illegal if net neutrality act was a law. Some consumers are going to want free/cheap internet that subsidized by ads/service providers giving kickbacks to ISP for fast access. Some consumers are going to want full price so they are not hindered to download / upload anywhere (gamers, etc).

Ron Paul would promote choice and fight monopolists (he said he would actually increase the funding to dept of justice, one of the few depts the federal government should have)

JimDude
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Were against Net Neutrality.

Here is a article against net neutrality: http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2006-06-28ba.html

IHaveaDream
11-14-2007, 04:45 PM
After seeing how this campaign has been able to effectively circumvent the political establishment, you can rest assured that some internet regulation is a future certainty.