PDA

View Full Version : Campaign finance question

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
06-08-2007, 11:32 PM
I thought individuals were limited to $2300 and if over $200 had to list their employer by federal law. Yet if you go to the candidates finance reports, this is not the case. There are numerous individual contributions of over $2300 that do not have employers listed.

Giuliani, for instance:
http://www.politicalmoneyline.com/cgi-win/x_candempoccdet.exe?DoFn=&sEmployer=(left%20blank)&rb=08&CandID=P00003251

Can someone please explain this?

Thanks -

BLS
06-09-2007, 12:10 AM
I thought individuals were limited to $2300 and if over $200 had to list their employer by federal law. Yet if you go to the candidates finance reports, this is not the case. There are numerous individual contributions of over $2300 that do not have employers listed.

Giuliani, for instance:
http://www.politicalmoneyline.com/cgi-win/x_candempoccdet.exe?DoFn=&sEmployer=(left%20blank)&rb=08&CandID=P00003251

Thanks -

I would guess that the 4600 contributions are husband/wife, but I saw one for 9200....not sure how that works out.

Try calling Guliani's camp,....tell them you'd like to donate $10,000 but don't know how to get around the $2,300 limit. I'm sure they'll tell you of a loophole.

X_805
06-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Try calling Guliani's camp,....tell them you'd like to donate $10,000 but don't know how to get around the $2,300 limit. I'm sure they'll tell you of a loophole.

Hmm... That could certainly backfire on them if someone at their headquarters were telling people how to effectively get around the law...

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
06-09-2007, 12:18 AM
There is a known loophole but I don't know if this is related

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/compliance.asp

Compliance Funds

A little-known but lucrative loophole in the presidential funding system is the use of what is called General Election Legal and Accounting Compliance funds (GELAC). Under FEC regulations, campaigns may raise money through these "compliance funds" to pay for lawyers and accountants hired to comply with federal campaign finance reporting requirements. The money also can be used to pay for a variety of expenses related to fulfilling these requirements, including fund-raising, payroll, overhead and computer expenses. In addition, GELAC funds can be used to pay for recounts.

Major party nominees who accept public funds cannot accept private contributions for their general election campaigns (except to compensate for a shortage of public funds). Compliance expenses are exempt from all expenditure limits. Practically speaking, establishing a compliance fund allows the campaign to collect an extra $2,000 from donors who have already given the maximum $2,000 to the main campaign committee for the primary election. The money may not legally be used until after the parties' nominating conventions, although in certain circumstances, candidates may borrow from their compliance fund to defray general election expenses incurred before the nomination. If the candidate does borrow from the compliance fund, he or she must reimburse that account upon receipt of public funds for the general election. If the candidate fails to win the party's nomination, the money must be returned to the donors.

austinphish
06-09-2007, 12:48 AM

Giuliani, for instance:

Thanks -

I have read a decent amount of FEC code now. I am not a lawyer but I am happy to help with questions especially anyone who is trying to put together a PAC or fund raising for Ron Paul.

The answer to your question is that a PAC is supposed to put its best efforts to gathering all the required information. Best effort is as explicit as it it details.

I have said this before, and i will say it again - the organizationts that have previously formed, and whom are not solely for RP, this is your time to get your message out. Be wise with it, but you guys are an integral part to getthg of people gaining interest in blue pill. Don't feed them the complex with your pill at first. Make them want to see more.

So for those causes formed but have no federal connections. This is your time, a call to all you wingers out there with your "nutty" causes. You will scare some. but don't push it them. Ignorance is their bliss. Others though can digest the pill but you have to be ready to hook them up to some real good mindblowing shit. There are plenty of good options. I would start with Manufacturing Consent with Noam Chomsky. Anywho, if anyone has a desire to get a 527 going through your non candidate related cause, then the time is now!!!!

denvervoipguru
06-09-2007, 07:23 AM
but I saw one for 9200....not sure how that works out.

Was it from Utah?:rolleyes:

angrydragon
06-09-2007, 11:43 AM
When you goto Rudy's site, it explains the $9200 contributions.

As a result, any initial contribution up to $2,300 is designated for the primary and any additional amount is designated for the general, up to a total of $4600 per person. A couple may contribute $9,200, designated per person in accordance with the preceding sentence. Federal multi-candidate PACs may contribute $5,000 for the primary and $5,000 for the general.