PDA

View Full Version : Thomas DiLorenzo: My Post Election Predictions

Anti Federalist
10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
This made me chuckle...

My Post-Election Predictions

Posted by Thomas DiLorenzo on October 26, 2010 07:01 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/68047.html

Pessimistic Prediction: The Republicans, thanks to TEA Party candidates, take over the House and Senate and make the following deal with Obama: “We won’t object to your socialized medicine if you, in turn, do not object to our invastion of Iran.”

Less Pessimistic Prediction: The TEA Partiers form their own caucus — and eventually their own party — and throw sand into the gears of this insanity.

Optimistic Prediction: The dollar crashes and, as a result, Ron Paul is elected president. Charles Koch packs up all of his GOP/Fed-bootlicking D.C. think tanks and goes home.

heavenlyboy34
10-26-2010, 07:49 PM
lolz ;):)

Mike4Freedom
10-26-2010, 07:49 PM
This made me chuckle...

My Post-Election Predictions

Posted by Thomas DiLorenzo on October 26, 2010 07:01 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/68047.html

Pessimistic Prediction: The Republicans, thanks to TEA Party candidates, take over the House and Senate and make the following deal with Obama: “We won’t object to your socialized medicine if you, in turn, do not object to our invastion of Iran.”

Less Pessimistic Prediction: The TEA Partiers form their own caucus — and eventually their own party — and throw sand into the gears of this insanity.

Optimistic Prediction: The dollar crashes and, as a result, Ron Paul is elected president. Charles Koch packs up all of his GOP/Fed-bootlicking D.C. think tanks and goes home.

The pessimistic prediction is probably most likely. Remember, in todays political world we get f*cked by a big d*ck at both ends.

QueenB4Liberty
10-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I love the optimistic prediction, but I'm thinking the negative will probably be right. :(

wormyguy
10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
1 is by far the most likely (I don't get the bad blood between Rockwell and the Kochs - it's self-defeating), but I'd say "none of the above" is fairly likely as well.

EDIT: Of course, there are variations, such as "we object to your socialized medicine, but we all agree on invading Iran!"

Stary Hickory
10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
1 is by far the most likely (I don't get the bad blood between Rockwell and the Kochs - it's self-defeating), but I'd say "none of the above" is fairly likely as well.

And you must be kidding. Usually I like DiLorenzo, but this idea that the Republicans are going to invade Iran is absurd. There simply is not support for it, and that goes double after the elections. I now must doubt DiLorenzo's intellect or his integrity.

wormyguy
10-26-2010, 08:38 PM
It is inevitable that Iran will be invaded. It does not matter which party controls congress or the presidency, it will happen. We've been beating the war drums for 8 years, and war sentiment is at its highest point yet and increasing. Shortly before the invasion, a large-scale media/political scare effort will be mounted to manufacture support, as before Iraq Wars I and II and Kosovo.

(And the Spanish-American War, and WWI, and WWII to some extent, and Korea, and Vietnam . . .)

Stary Hickory
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Negative Iran will not be invaded. For a very long time, certainly not because of the current issues.

wormyguy
10-26-2010, 08:50 PM
We have a tradition of political parties promising peace and giving us war. This time, the parties (besides some individual candidates) aren't even promising peace.

Stary Hickory
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
But the people are tired of war and they are suspicious of motives. The Neocons have been exposed far more than many people realize. They have lost support in major ways. It's important to remember that it was not long ago when conservatives were very much called isolationists. I mean this was not but maybe 20-25 years ago.

There is a tradition of sane foreign policy to be found in the GOP and at the same time there is major fatigue and anger over the Iraq war. Iran is not something I see ever happening as the Neocons are in full retreat and there is no political will nor resources to go into Iran.

Andrew-Austin
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
And you must be kidding. Usually I like DiLorenzo, but this idea that the Republicans are going to invade Iran is absurd. There simply is not support for it, and that goes double after the elections. I now must doubt DiLorenzo's intellect or his integrity.

The invasion of Iran could be replaced by any number of absurd big government neocon programs/actions they could take. Its a very safe bet to say the large majority of Republican congressman/senators (post or pre-election) are spineless dolts who will ride any wind that comes along, they have no coherent worldview or values and thus its hard not for them to do something stupid given the atmosphere in DC. Most only have a decent sense of what they should do when the Democrats are in majority, they oppose Democrat plans. Once they are the majority who knows what they will do. The only thing different this time will be Rand, who isn't the type to ride the DC winds, he might provide an example to others.

CCTelander
10-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Seems to me that DiLorenzo needs to brush up on his war monger history a bit. The implicit idea that Obama would oppose an invasion of Iran seems ill-advised to me.

Not that I put any stock whatever into the whole Dem/Repub false dichotomy, but in the last century or so:

Wilson, a Dem, led the US into WWI, a war wherein there were no compelling American interests at stake at all.

Roosevelt, another Dem, led the US into WWII.

Korea was Truman's baby. Truman, of course, was also a Dem.

While Eisenhower was the first to send "advisors," it wasn't until the Golf of Tonkin Incident that American Fighting forces were fully committed in Vietnam. That was Johnson, yet another Dem.

Seems to me, when it comes to getting us into wars, the Republicans are way behind. The idea that Obama would oppose another war doesn't seem to be a wise assumption.

wormyguy
10-26-2010, 08:59 PM
But the people are tired of war and they are suspicious of motives. The Neocons have been exposed far more than many people realize. They have lost support in major ways. It's important to remember that it was not long ago when conservatives were very much called isolationists. I mean this was not but maybe 20-25 years ago.

There is a tradition of sane foreign policy to be found in the GOP and at the same time there is major fatigue and anger over the Iraq war. Iran is not something I see ever happening as the Neocons are in full retreat and there is no political will nor resources to go into Iran.

After Vietnam (and WWI, and Korea), the "neocons" of that era went into retreat. Vietnam was a much bigger deal than Iraq. And the "neocons" came back anyway.

The invasion of Iran could be replaced by any number of absurd big government neocon programs/actions they could pull.

Why do just one when they can do them all?

Dystopia
10-26-2010, 09:12 PM
It is inevitable that Iran will be invaded. It does not matter which party controls congress or the presidency, it will happen. We've been beating the war drums for 8 years, and war sentiment is at its highest point yet and increasing. Shortly before the invasion, a large-scale media/political scare effort will be mounted to manufacture support, as before Iraq Wars I and II and Kosovo.

(And the Spanish-American War, and WWI, and WWII to some extent, and Korea, and Vietnam . . .)

Exactly, but I think it will be the Tea Party that leads the charge. They worship the military and would like nothing more than to sacrifice more brown people to their god.

I fully expect the Republicans to regain control and for us to re-enter the "warfare" stage of the welfare/warfare two-party system. The Democrats fulfilled their end of the bargain, bringing in the Stimulus and Obamacare (welfare). Now it's up to the good ol' bloodthirsty GOP to take us back into the warfare stage. It's quite pathetic that people still get suckered into this system.

wormyguy
10-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Exactly, but I think it will be the Tea Party that leads the charge. They worship the military and would like nothing more than to sacrifice more brown people to their god.

I fully expect the Republicans to regain control and for us to re-enter the "warfare" stage of the welfare/warfare two-party system. The Democrats fulfilled their end of the bargain, bringing in the Stimulus and Obamacare (welfare). Now it's up to the good ol' bloodthirsty GOP to take us back into the warfare stage. It's quite pathetic that people still get suckered into this system.

I actually think the Tea Party is a very positive thing (and by that I mean the activists who are actually involved in it, not the people who show up for the Sarah Palin rally), but I doubt they will ever gain more influence than the neocons over GOP policy.