PDA

View Full Version : Backroom GOP deals: Will RP be offered VP?

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I was speaking tonight to someone who understand politics MUCH better than I do and he had an interesting take on things.

He thinks it's entirely possible that we might go through the primaries without a clear winner, in other words, no majority. This would mean for the first time in decades, there would not be a clear choice by the time the GOP convention started. An initial vote at the GOP convention would be taken (this is why it's CRUCIAL to have RP supporters to be delegates), and then after that there would be "some deals made".

He refers to the old-time smoke filled back room deals that used to take place all of the time prior to our current primary system. He thinks that all of the other candidates will court Ron Paul to try and get RP on their ticket so that they can have another vote at the convention and win the nomination. This could obviously present an interesting situation.

The two that would be most likely to seek RP's position as a VP would be Thompson and Rudy.

So I have a few questions I'd like to pose to everyone on here about this...

1 - Would RP take either one?
2 - Would RP be wise to take an offer as VP at all?
3 - What are the alternatives if he refuses?
4 - What other insights do you see to this situation?
5 - How likely are we to get through the primary without a clear victor?
6 - Would Ron's base (us) still support RP for VP even if he was under Rudy or Fred?

Sematary
10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't think he'd accept the invitation and if he did, I still wouldn't vote for the other candidate so it wouldn't do any good.

constituent
10-19-2007, 10:09 AM
No. If he refuses he can keep his seat in Congress... maybe prepare for a stab at the senate... I'd really like to see him run for gov'na because he would be bulletproof!

While he's in the house everyone can shift their activism to lobby mode and seize on every bill he introduces w/ the zeal they've been trouncing obscure news writers with.

steph3n
10-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't think he'd take a VP position without a signed contract from the presidential contract filled with commitments to stick to the constitution, ring the troops home, etc. Basically meaning change all they are saying now, if they are principled they won't do it, but their principles are baseless so they may well attempt such!

M.Bellmore
10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I was speaking tonight to someone who understand politics MUCH better than I do and he had an interesting take on things.

He thinks it's entirely possible that we might go through the primaries without a clear winner, in other words, no majority. This would mean for the first time in decades, there would not be a clear choice by the time the GOP convention started. An initial vote at the GOP convention would be taken (this is why it's CRUCIAL to have RP supporters to be delegates), and then after that there would be "some deals made".

He refers to the old-time smoke filled back room deals that used to take place all of the time prior to our current primary system. He thinks that all of the other candidates will court Ron Paul to try and get RP on their ticket so that they can have another vote at the convention and win the nomination. This could obviously present an interesting situation.

The two that would be most likely to seek RP's position as a VP would be Thompson and Rudy.

6 - Would Ron's base (us) still support RP for VP even if he was under Rudy or Fred?

I can't see that happening really. There is not a single other candidate that wants to reduce the scope and size of the federal government, never mind the Iraq War. How can another candidate convince us that they would support RP positions (especially Rudy .. ewwww)

steph3n
No. If he refuses he can keep his seat in Congress... maybe prepare for a stab at the senate... I'd really like to see him run for gov'na because he would be bulletproof!

While he's in the house everyone can shift their activism to lobby mode and seize on every bill he introduces w/ the zeal they've been trouncing obscure news writers with.

Not sure what state your in, but TX could sure use a man like him, this state is in spending shambles!

Brinck Slattery
I don't think there's any way he would team up with Rudy. Thompson's support is almost nil, he's more or less a creation of the media looking for someone to pin the hopes of "down home" type conservatives on. The tough thing is, Dr. Paul stands against what almost everyone else on the stage is for. Maybe Thompson could be his VP!

But seriously, he said in a recent interview that he wouldn't take Bush's endorsement unless Bush changed his mind on the war and a number of other issues, so I doubt he'd team up with any of the other Team Red folks.

Ron Paul Fan
10-19-2007, 10:11 AM
1- No
2- No
3- Run as 3rd party or just focus on return to the House
4- I think you're delusional if you think Paul will even be offered the VP position.
5- 0%
6- Some might, most wouldn't. If people threw a fit about Paul not accepting matching funds because it went against his principles, just imagine if he became Giuliani's VP! He wouldn't accept and he won't be offered. This is a non-issue. Let's focus on Ron Paul becoming President!

micahnelson
10-19-2007, 10:12 AM
I will vote for any ticket with Ron Paul on it. I trust his judgment enough that if he thinks a Ron Paul VP is the best thing for the cause of liberty, I would support him.

If it came down to Hillary/Whoever or Neocon/Ron Paul, id certainly support the Republican ticket.

If it is Hillary/Whoever or Neocon/Neocon then I'm voting libertarian.

Ron Paul as VP is not the win we are looking for, but talk about giving him a bully pulpit. Its not something we should snub out of hand.

But it doesn't matter anyway because we are going to win the nomination.

steph3n
This is all great news, they know and FEAR him because he is bringing in boatloads of NEW republicans the ones that won't be voting for them in any case, they realize this and are trying to win their vote without changing their tune, sorry guys we aren't buying it.
your Politics may be a game, but we have a revolution to take back our country for the people!

reduen
Personally I will not vote if Dr. Paul does not get the nod for President. I also doubt very much that he would take the V.P. spot with anyone currently running.

kylejack
10-19-2007, 10:13 AM
I won't vote for RP as VP.

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Why are we even talking about this!?

Ron Paul is in this campaign to WIN THE NOMINATION!

Grandson of Liberty
10-19-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't believe there is any way this will happen.

It would give RP "legitimacy," exactly against what the GOP has been bending over backwards to prevent. All of the sudden he'd have a ton of media, public support, and it would be a P.R. coup to say he'd much rather be President and run as third party/indy.

steph3n
10-19-2007, 10:19 AM

That's right lets close this topic, it is dead, we aren't going for VP!

constituent
10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
HAH! Maybe a b(ath)room deal!

HAH!

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
That's right, this topic should be closed!

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
4- I think you're delusional if you think Paul will even be offered the VP position.Ummm.... all of his opponents want to replicate his grassroots support. If they could get us on their side, they would absolutely win against Hillary. If the nomination is actually decided at the convention, the quickest way to get the nomination is to team up with another candidate, combine their votes, and take a majority of the delegates.

You bet your ass they will all be asking RP to be on their team because (they think) that RP's supporters will follow him even if it is just for VP. My question is to what extent will us RP supporters continue to support RP even if he happens to be on a Fred or Rudy ticket.

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't believe there is any way this will happen.

It would give RP "legitimacy," exactly against what the GOP has been bending over backwards to prevent.Ummm... as VP RP would be marginalized in my opinion. Sure he'd kind of have the bully pulpit, but he serves at the direction of the President.

DrNoZone
10-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I hope he doesn't, because I for one wouldn't vote for him on any other ticket. At least, not one with the current crop of authoritarians.

M.Bellmore
10-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Maybe you should reverse the question and ask, "Which of the candidates would be the best for VP for Ron Paul politically?" After all, we do want RP as president :D

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 10:28 AM
That's right, this topic should be closed!

That's right lets close this topic

Absolutely not!!
What the hell is wrong with the two of you?
:confused:

This is a potential scenario and should be investigated, evaluated, and discussed. For being RP supporters, the two of you sure are quick to stifle open debate. :mad:

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 10:29 AM

I've had similar conversations with some R hack friends here (and I mean that in the nicest way). I disagree with some of the premises and agree with some. Because of the dynamics of the race and the changed calendar, yes, I agree, it's possible that no one will win a majority of the delegates during the primaries. Yes, I think another candidate could approach Dr. Paul for his support and to join his ticket.

It's also possible that over the summer in this period of uncertainty that Dr. Paul would pick up the LP, CP, rump Reform and other parties' nominations.

Where I disagree: the "old-time smoke filled back room deals" would take place AFTER the primaries but BEFORE the convention. Not "all of the other candidates" would try to get Dr. Paul on their ticket: Rudy & Paul not gonna happen, and it would not make sense for Fred or Huckabee (geography, etc.). Mitt would be the most likely one, possibly McCain (but he isn't going to be a contender anyway).

Mitt and Dr. Paul complement each other well: MA & TX (JKF/LBJ all over again--Boston/Austin axis). Mitt has demonstrated managerial experience & Dr. Paul is philosophically grounded with DC experience. Ying and yang.

I actually want Dr. Paul to put Mitt in his administration. Seriously. I want Dr. Paul to name him the head of all of the cabinets, departments, programs, etc., we need to get rid of and tell Mitt he's got four years. He'd do it better than anyone. Mitt is a great administrator--I just want Dr. Paul setting the agenda and Mitt to carry it out.

McDermit
10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Uh.. lol.

HQ is already thinking of these things. No front runner will ask RP. The backroom deals will be with other "mainstream" candidates. One will ask McCain or Huck if they are still in.. or perhaps Rudy will ask Fred, something along those lines. The only pair that might team up, if still in it, would be RP and Tancredo.

1. Not from Rudy. Guaranteed.
2. No. If anything, he'd get Tancredo under him. Although Tancredo will be gone by then. Maybe someone else under him, depending how we fare in the coming months.
3. We have enough delegates to take it. EVERYONE needs to be working on this!
4. See above.
5. There's a VERY good chance we'll have a brokered convention. In fact, there are some close to RP that are actually counting on it.
6. Moot. Would never happen. If it did though, I think they would... and then tons of RP supporters would be attempting an assassination at every turn. We all know that we have people crazy (dedicated?) enough to do it.

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Maybe you should reverse the question and ask, "Which of the candidates would be the best for VP for Ron Paul politically?" After all, we do want RP as president :DThat's a good point. A RP for Prez and Huck as VP could make a very solid conservative working ticket. But if this scenario comes about I don't think there would be enough delegate votes in the convention between RP and Huck to get the nomination, especially if Fred/Rudy team up or something like that. Perhaps Fred/Romney would team up to carry North and South.

SpicyItalian739
10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
No matter what happens, I will be writing in Ron Paul's name for POTUS... he is the only person I could vote for in 2008 and sleep at night.

Even if he is the Vice Presidential pick for somebody LESS nuts than the media darlings, like Huckabee... I will STILL write in Ron Paul for POTUS.

I would hope that all of you will follow suit. If Ron Paul got snubbed by the Republicans and STILL won a sizable portion of the vote via write-ins... we could make the best of the situation by forcing the leaders to realize our numbers.

We can not acquiesce or we will get more of the same.

McDermit
10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Absolutely not!!
What the hell is wrong with the two of you?
:confused:

This is a potential scenario and should be investigated, evaluated, and discussed. For being RP supporters, the two of you sure are quick to stifle open debate. :mad:
It actually probably shouldn't be here. We don't really want other camps knowing what we know. They'll be thinking the same things, but most will assume we know nothing.

If they know what we're doing, they can work to counter it.

goldstandard
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM

1 - No.
2 - No.
3. - Third party
4. - These backroom deals go against all the principles RP stands for.
5. - Very likely regarding the shifted primaries.
6. - No. This is of course hypothetical but the message is more important than the man himself and I can't see him under Rudy McRomphson. RP wouldn't support Rudy. We should write him in or die.

steph3n
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Matt,

We are not running to get Dr Paul a VP position but PRESIDENT.
I'd take Mitt romney as VP under Dr Paul however :D

speciallyblend
10-19-2007, 10:38 AM
It's Ron Paul For President or i leave the republican party.

speciallyblend
10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Matt,

We are not running to get Dr Paul a VP position but PRESIDENT.
I'd take Mitt romney as VP under Dr Paul however :D

I'd approve a Paul/Romney ticket;0 maybe

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I would throw myself under an oncoming bus for Dr. Paul if he asked, and I know that most of the others I've worked with for him would do the same. No questions asked.

If Dr. Paul ONLY asked you to vote for him on a national ticket to lead the country as vice-president, how could one even consider refusing that request? :confused::mad::eek::(:o

quickmike
10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Its pretty simple for me.

If Ron Paul doesnt get the nomination, I wont vote for any other republican, even if Ron Paul is the VP choice. If he runs Libertarian, which I doubt he will, I would vote for him. If he doesnt run Lib ticket, im voting for Hillary Clinton just as a great big F--- You to the republican party. The way I see it, this country deserves her corrup, lying, crooked ass if they cant see the opportunity they had to elect someone who TRULY stands for what america was founded on and threw away.

Most likely, I wont have to make this terrible choice because I truly feel that Ron can WIN!!!

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I would NEVER support a Ron Paul and Mitt Romney campaign.

There is not a SINGLE Republican other than Ron Paul I would vote for!

Ron Paul is the ONLY true small-government, pro-peace, and pro-liberty candidate!

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Bradly,

Let's make something PERFECTLY CLEAR. I will vote for Ron Paul for PRESIDENT because he is the ONLY true small-government, pro-peace, and pro-freedom candidate. There are ZERO other Republicans I would EVER vote for!

To be blunt, I refuse to vote for EVIL and in my opinion all of the other Republicans are EVIL!

I would NEVER vote for another Republican even if it meant Ron Paul getting the vice-presidency.

Quite frankly, if Ron Paul would accept the vice-presidency and campaign with a big-government neo-con he would not be worth having as vice president!

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 10:45 AM

Agreed. But in politics we know we can't know anything. Some six-year old Cuban kid could wash up on the beach and THAT would be the deciding issue in an election. Who knows?

saahmed
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't understand the whole delegate thing. Say he wins in a certain county and the delegates are chosen. When those delegates go to the state convention they are not obligated to vote for Paul. What if they don't? And then the state delegates go to the national convention, same thing. Do the delegates come from the supporters of the winning candidate or can it be any republican?

kylejack
10-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I would throw myself under an oncoming bus for Dr. Paul if he asked, and I know that most of the others I've worked with for him would do the same. No questions asked.

If Dr. Paul ONLY asked you to vote for him on a national ticket to lead the country as vice-president, how could one even consider refusing that request? :confused::mad::eek::(:o
Because it would involve putting a man I find detestable into the Presidency.

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
kyle,

I totally agree. I detest ALL the other Republicans.

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Bradly,

Let's make something PERFECTLY CLEAR. I will vote for Ron Paul for PRESIDENT because he is the ONLY true small-government, pro-peace, and pro-freedom candidate. There are ZERO other Republicans I would EVER vote for!

To be blunt, I refuse to vote for EVIL and in my opinion all of the other Republicans are EVIL!

I would NEVER vote for another Republican even if it meant Ron Paul getting the vice-presidency.

Quite frankly, if Ron Paul would accept the vice-presidency and campaign with a big-government neo-con he would not be worth having as vice president!

One, please either learn how to spell my name or stop using it (you do that consistently, is there a reason?)

Two, we're on the same side on this.

Three, when Dr. Paul IS the presidential nominee, you ARE going to have to vote for another Republican--on HIS TICKET! ;)

KingTheoden
10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
No way. The office of the vice-president is probably the most insignificant part of government that has been with us from the start of the country. By the way, John Adams said the same thing albeit in a more polished fashion.

I think Ron Paul would prefer to keep his seat in the Congress. I like the idea of him running for governor of Texas, although he might prefer to retire from politics by then(I think he will be 75 come the next election over there). If he decided to do that, I have no doubt he would be a formidable candidate.

But of course our job is very clear: get him elected President!

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Bradley,

I don't worry too much about getting names exactly right on here. If I were talking to you formally I would. However, this is just a casual online forum.

To be blunt, if Ron Paul has any other Republican on his ticket I will note vote for him. Quite frankly, I think there is ZERO chance of Ron Paul selecting any other Republican!

I'm hoping he will choose someone like Steve Kubby!

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't understand the whole delegate thing. Say he wins in a certain county and the delegates are chosen. When those delegates go to the state convention they are not obligated to vote for Paul. What if they don't? And then the state delegates go to the national convention, same thing. Do the delegates come from the supporters of the winning candidate or can it be any republican?

There is a subforum on this topic. Most states have straight primaries with no other conventions. If you are getting your information from Anson's website, he is confused and the information there is all wrong (which explains a lot of people's confusion).

Rules vary greatly by state, but a few generalities: State rules and RNC by-laws govern how delegates to the national nominating convention are chosen. In most states, the delegates to the national nominating convention chosen by the voters are legally "bound" to vote for that person (at least for the first, or first few, votes) unless "released" by the candidate.

kylejack
10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
One, please either learn how to spell my name or stop using it (you do that consistently, is there a reason?)

Two, we're on the same side on this.

Three, when Dr. Paul IS the presidential nominee, you ARE going to have to vote for another Republican--on HIS TICKET! ;)

John Stossel's not a Republican, as far as I can tell. I don't know that Walter Williams is a Republican. You don't have to be a member of the Party to run on its ticket.

PaleoForPaul
10-19-2007, 11:20 AM
No way. The office of the vice-president is probably the most insignificant part of government that has been with us from the start of the country.

That depends on the VP and the President. Cheney holds a lot of power, he meets with Bush once a week and 'suggests' what Bush should do about key issues. He's in a most staff meetings, etc.

Gore had some voice in the Clinton whitehouse, but it diminished as the years went by.

I doubt any candidate, except maybe Tancredo would consider Paul as a VP. Rudy will take Suckabee or McCain to appeal to pro-lifers if this situation unfolds. It would actually be interesting because McCain is friends with Fred Thompson, and would be more likely to take up with Thompson than Rudy.

Rudy of course could pick up Romney, or vice versa, but I don't know how far that will get either of them.

I just can't see them picking up Paul, because of idological differences. Maybe McCain could tolerate Paul, and Paul tolerates Tancredo (and is kinda friends with him!) so who knows. Thompson might ask for Paul, but can any of you guys really see Paul accepting?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Paul as VP if he didn't get a shot at the nomination. I would vote for his ticket just to get him into higher office. I just don't think it would happen.

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Kylejack,

I'm hoping that Ron Paul will pick someone as boldly pro-freedom and pro-liberty as himself to join his ticket. There is NO WAY such a person could be ANY of the other current candidates. They are all big government fascists.

steph3n
10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Kylejack,

I'm hoping that Ron Paul will pick someone as boldly pro-freedom and pro-liberty as himself to join his ticket. There is NO WAY such a person could be ANY of the other current candidates. They are all big government fascists.

Whoever it is, they won't have the power that Cheney has now in any case :D

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Bradley,

I don't worry too much about getting names exactly right on here. If I were talking to you formally I would. However, this is just a casual online forum.

To be blunt, if Ron Paul has any other Republican on his ticket I will note vote for him. Quite frankly, I think there is ZERO chance of Ron Paul selecting any other Republican!

I'm hoping he will choose someone like Steve Kubby!

(Name thing: was just wondering. You seemed to get everyone else's right but consistently misspelled mine the same way--was wondering if there were some conspiracy :D)

I'm betting on either Mark Sanford or Gary Johnson. I don't think he'd pick Kubby (can't explain why, my opinion only, but I just don't see the personal dynamic between them working; Dr. Paul's going to pick someone with whom he's personally very comfortable).

After Dr. Paul gets a ticket out of Iowa (top three), I think Sanford will endorse him before NH so that he has momentum going into his SC. (Sanford was part of Dr. Paul's Liberty Caucus in the House and they worked closely and well together.) At that point....

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 11:29 AM
It actually probably shouldn't be here. We don't really want other camps knowing what we know. They'll be thinking the same things, but most will assume we know nothing.

If they know what we're doing, they can work to counter it.Good point (I'm all about security), but I think this is common knowledge to any professional political operative. Besides, there is a delicate balance of making things SO secure that no one is able to communicate and nothing gets done. If we start closing/censoring every strategic topic on this forum then it will be a MAJOR handicap to us.

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Whoever it is, they won't have the power that Cheney has now in any case :D

We're doing all this so NO ONE has the power Cheney now has! ;)

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Bradley,

I think Ron Paul knows that this nation needs EXTREME change. After a very quick search of the names you mentioned I don't think they would go along with most of Ron Paul's initiatives after becoming president. Lets be frank, Ron Paul is EXTREME in his positions (which is a GREAT thing of course). He thinks EVERYONE has the right to put whatever they want into their own bodies, the IRS is not only "bad" but an ABOMINATION, we need to bring ALL our troops home (not just from Iraq but EVERYWHERE), and the federal government needs to be reduced by a HUGE amount.

For Ron Paul to have a chance of getting ANY of the above accomplished he needs a vice president as PASSIONATE as himself on these issues. I think he will pick someone FAR from "mainstream" politics!

To be blunt, he needs someone willing to SPEAK THEIR MINDS and CARE LESS what other people think!

I think Steve Kubby or someone else would fit into Ron Paul's administration much better than a "mainstream" politician.

reduen
10-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I've had similar conversations with some R hack friends here (and I mean that in the nicest way). I disagree with some of the premises and agree with some. Because of the dynamics of the race and the changed calendar, yes, I agree, it's possible that no one will win a majority of the delegates during the primaries. Yes, I think another candidate could approach Dr. Paul for his support and to join his ticket.

It's also possible that over the summer in this period of uncertainty that Dr. Paul would pick up the LP, CP, rump Reform and other parties' nominations.

Where I disagree: the "old-time smoke filled back room deals" would take place AFTER the primaries but BEFORE the convention. Not "all of the other candidates" would try to get Dr. Paul on their ticket: Rudy & Paul not gonna happen, and it would not make sense for Fred or Huckabee (geography, etc.). Mitt would be the most likely one, possibly McCain (but he isn't going to be a contender anyway).

Mitt and Dr. Paul complement each other well: MA & TX (JKF/LBJ all over again--Boston/Austin axis). Mitt has demonstrated managerial experience & Dr. Paul is philosophically grounded with DC experience. Ying and yang.

I actually want Dr. Paul to put Mitt in his administration. Seriously. I want Dr. Paul to name him the head of all of the cabinets, departments, programs, etc., we need to get rid of and tell Mitt he's got four years. He'd do it better than anyone. Mitt is a great administrator--I just want Dr. Paul setting the agenda and Mitt to carry it out.

Are you crazy? (This is a retorical question..) ;)

Remeber that the Vice is second in line should something happen to our man!!

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
You want MITT to hold political office?!

That is INSANE!

steph3n
10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
SouthernGuy,

He did not say hold elected office, like maybe be an aide helping with paperwork :D

KewlRonduderules
10-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I cannot vote for Ron Paul even if he decides to become the vice presidential nominee. I simply cannot stand the others.

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't want Mitt Romney anywhere close to Ron Paul!

Mitt Romney is a MONSTER that loves having the blood of our soldiers and innocent men, women and children on his hands!

McDermit
10-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Good point (I'm all about security), but I think this is common knowledge to any professional political operative. Besides, there is a delicate balance of making things SO secure that no one is able to communicate and nothing gets done. If we start closing/censoring every strategic topic on this forum then it will be a MAJOR handicap to us.

Yeah, but the campaign is hoping others will underestimate our knowledge of this particular aspect of things. In that respect, having it here hurts us more than it helps.

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 11:55 AM
This thread is simply meaningless.

1) Ron Paul is in this to WIN!

2) Ron Paul would NOT campaign with a neo-con.

End of Story

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Are you crazy? (This is a retorical question..) ;)

Remeber that the Vice is second in line should something happen to our man!!

Aren't we all at least a bit on here? ;) I mean supporting Dr. Paul and all...

I wasn't arguing FOR a Paul-Romney ticket (I'm publicly for Sanford as first choice and Gary Johnson as second), but yes, we do talk about these kinds of things up here. Shop talk, I suppose. :D

nayjevin
10-19-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah, he certainly won't accept any invitation for VP from any of these other knuckleheads.

tancredo as VP for RP might be an advantage, but not the best choice, IMO. He doesn't see eye to eye with ron on the role of government anyway.

he will choose someone outside of politics, as he has stated in the past. john stossel or walter williams or karen kwiatkowski. mark my guesses.

fred thompson and mike huckabee have the most overlap with potential RP supporters. (fred=guns, mike=constitution rhetoric) so either of those guys could ask RP to join their ticket - but there would be repurcussions. it would legitimize paul to an extent they would not want.

here's a stab at what i think might happen:

1. fred asks RP to be his VP
2. Ron says no (as of course fred knew he would)
3. fred says stuff like "i guess he wants to go against the party like he always has, i wish he would have joined me in my fight for the constitution"
4. fred asks huckabee, huckabee accepts
5. giuliani and the fred/mike ticket split the pro-war vote
6. ron paul chooses John Stossel as his running mate, john mayer sings a lovely lullabye about it
7. ronjohn wins the nomination

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but the campaign is hoping others will underestimate our knowledge of this particular aspect of things. In that respect, having it here hurts us more than it helps.Simple economics. As supply goes up, price goes down. Knowledge is very cheap and very proliferated. We should keep strategy confidential, but general atmospheric conditions like this and possible "what-if" scenarios, are fair game.

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Bradley,

I think Ron Paul knows that this nation needs EXTREME change. After a very quick search of the names you mentioned I don't think they would go along with most of Ron Paul's initiatives after becoming president. Lets be frank, Ron Paul is EXTREME in his positions (which is a GREAT thing of course). He thinks EVERYONE has the right to put whatever they want into their own bodies, the IRS is not only "bad" but an ABOMINATION, we need to bring ALL our troops home (not just from Iraq but EVERYWHERE), and the federal government needs to be reduced by a HUGE amount.

For Ron Paul to have a chance of getting ANY of the above accomplished he needs a vice president as PASSIONATE as himself on these issues. I think he will pick someone FAR from "mainstream" politics!

To be blunt, he needs someone willing to SPEAK THEIR MINDS and CARE LESS what other people think!

I think Steve Kubby or someone else would fit into Ron Paul's administration much better than a "mainstream" politician.

Agree with the rest, but it won't be Kubby. If you don't know Sanford and Johnson well, keep an open mind. I think you in particular would be pleasantly surprised by Johnson.

Oh, and I would keep a few guards at our embassies rather than bring ALL the troops home...:D

steph3n
10-19-2007, 03:18 PM
yep marines are still needed at embassies

Pete
10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Knowing what we do about Ron Paul, that his support is almost split between Dems and Republicans, plus he has all Libertarians, I think he could take the nomination with as little as 20% of the delegates. If the GOP got behind him, his popularity would soar.

He ought to have someone really exciting as VP, either a brainiac like Judge Z or Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, who has administrative experience, seems very libertarian-minded, and is drop-dead gorgeous.

John Stossel for press secretary!

adpierce
10-19-2007, 03:55 PM
I was actually really surprised. I was in my constitutional law class... a class which has a lot of politically active twenty-somethings and I actually was hearing a ton of them saying that they thought Ron Paul had a great chance at securing the nomination. I was taken aback. I mean I was hearing democrat and republican alike saying that if they were to guess Ron Paul could take it. Absolutely incredible, and these people are law school bound people... not dumb people, not people who are out of step with politics.

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Alaska Governor Sarah Palinand is drop-dead gorgeous.Yeah, she is the only chick in the state! I'd hit it for sure though although I can't say the same for Pelosi, Hillary, Boxer, Condi, etc...

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 04:03 PM
these people are law school bound people... not dumb peopleBe advised one does not equal the other :D

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 08:24 PM
marines are still needed at embassiesAbsolutely. Them and the DSS.

brandon
10-19-2007, 08:30 PM
If RP was the vice president, I would be willing to bet some extreme truther (no offense) would try to assasinate the prez.

Kacela
10-19-2007, 08:38 PM
...He ought to have someone really exciting as VP... Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, who has administrative experience, seems very libertarian-minded, and is drop-dead gorgeous...

http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/redstate_commentary/WindowsLiveWriter/RonPaulAdministration_F03B/Paul-Palin%5B1%5D.jpg

Works for me :D

ACJohn
10-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Here the deal Ron paul needs to make: GOP ( and Fox) back off and give me a fair shot at the nomination, do this and I will not run as a third party. Keep up the shit and I piss in your corn flakes.

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 08:56 PM
He ought to have someone really exciting as VP, either a brainiac like Judge Z or Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, who has administrative experience, seems very libertarian-minded, and is drop-dead gorgeous.

Well, last time Dr. Paul ran for president, he runningmate was from Alaska...

Delaware
10-19-2007, 08:58 PM
It's much better with Ron on top, but if he is he must have someone who is ideologically like himself for VP. If Ron Paul is vp, which i highly doubt, it is ok i suppose. I'm not really sure if id support, or just write him in.

ButchHowdy
10-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Paul/Hagel, Chuck Hagel, NE is likable, has a great voting record, and is soon to be 'unemployed'

Paul/Duncan, Jimmy Duncan, TN who also voted NO to Iraq, 2 clear headed politicians

Paul/Sanford, SC . . . NO WAY . . . Sanford was messing around with Jeb Bush this past week making him damaged goods, plus he doesn't seem to be helping Ron Paul any in SC

And, the remote chance that RP doesn't make the primary, I'll just WRITE HIM IN!!

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 09:27 PM
http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/redstate_commentary/WindowsLiveWriter/RonPaulAdministration_F03B/Paul-Palin%5B1%5D.jpg

Works for me :D

Yeah, I'd like to be there to watch when the Dr. gives her an exam :D

Adamsa
10-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Ron would never get VP from any of the candidates, that has to be blatantly obvious.

Matt Collins
10-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Ron would never get VP from any of the candidates, that has to be blatantly obvious.Philosophically of course not, but strategically it might be an option.

Jordan
10-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I think he should run for Governor and make Texas an real example of a working state in a republic.

Bradley in DC
10-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Paul/Hagel, Chuck Hagel, NE is likable, has a great voting record, and is soon to be 'unemployed'

Paul/Duncan, Jimmy Duncan, TN who also voted NO to Iraq, 2 clear headed politicians

Paul/Sanford, SC . . . NO WAY . . . Sanford was messing around with Jeb Bush this past week making him damaged goods, plus he doesn't seem to be helping Ron Paul any in SC

And, the remote chance that RP doesn't make the primary, I'll just WRITE HIM IN!!

There is NO WAY it would be Hagel--his views and style are opposite ours in just about every way. Sanford and Johnson are by far the best choices, IMHO.

Matt Collins
10-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Matt Collins
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Bump one more time

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 08:30 PM
After thinking about it I don't think RP will be offered VP now that Huck is in a "much better" position.

My guess is that if it goes this far it'll be Fred+Romney vs Rudy+Huck

Midnight77
11-24-2007, 08:33 PM
What a pivotal time in our Nation's history. Never have we been more divided as a country. Maybe this is good in a way, because this is forcing America to look at all viewpoints and hopefully learn from them.

Ron LOL
11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
If Romney gets to the point where he announces a VP, I suspect it'll be yet another business mind so that he can even more credibly argue for "fiscal conservatism" -- remember, Karl Rove has stated he's confident that eventually this election is going to come back around to the economy in a big way. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Rudy try to pick up the Huckster at all. Huckabee must know he couldn't possibly win in the general election...but he seems like enough of a narcissist to accept a VP offer just to put himself in the White House.

hocaltar
11-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't know, I think we are interesting times. The GOP is desperate, it isn't even getting money from the military industrial complex that has been booming since Afghanistan.

I think the message went out, "treat him fairly, let's see what he can do." Personally, for a long time I think the GOP was thinking, "this guy is dividing our party." Now, I believe they are saying, "holy hell. this guy has 70,000 people campaigning for him it isn't even time for the general election. He is outraising everyone else and his following is rock-solid.

As far as the VP position goes. He already said, 'it probably wouldn't be offered, and I probably wouldn't accept because I would lose credibility.' Now, I don't entirly agree with that. VPOTUS serves a legitimate function independent of the POTUS. So, I wouldn't have a problem at all with him as a VP. That being said, if it were RUDY/Ron, Romney/Ron, Huck/Ron I don't think I could support any of those lineups.

Personally, what I can see happening is this. Some billionaire libertarian Constitution loving independent comes out of the blue and offers RP his VP slot. Now, that I could get behind. The mystery man would have to be of incredible integrity and have virtually the same platform. But hey, stranger things have happened.

idiom
11-24-2007, 09:05 PM
If he picks someone that is more anti FED and anti MIEC than him then he will be less likely to be retired early.;)

fedup100
11-24-2007, 09:11 PM
They would only offer him VP to make sure he was out of the race. Even if he was VP, he would be kept on a leash....NO WAY!

hocaltar
11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
If he picks someone that is more anti FED and anti MIEC than him then he will be less likely to be retired early.;)

I am so using this qoute.:D

ronpaulfan
11-24-2007, 09:17 PM

I personally think Romney is the most likely but here are my answers.....

doubt it

I think so, but i doubt he would. But only if it gets very hairy in the convention, and if some of the other guys change their position on the war by then.

1) 3rd party run
2) move to a different country

I personally think Romney is the least CFR-supported (he's had to fund his run with his own wealth). Also, Romney is the only one running that hates Rudy more than Dr. Paul

Something will happen. They aren't going to let Hillary run unopposed :p

Rudy: Fuck no
Fred: He would have to do a complete 180 on his foreign policy.

sharedvoice
11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I would support Ron Paul on any ticket because of his platform. However, it is VERY unlikely he would be offered, or even accept such an offer from any of the other candidates. The REAL question is who will be Ron Paul's running mate. :)

Conza88
11-24-2007, 09:26 PM
CAN I just say... Ron Paul would NOT take it.. but if he DID...

Whose sacrificing themselves for liberty? i.e by by Rudy... [catch my drift?] LOL. You'd be my hero... :P

CoreyBowen999
11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, When Ron DOES win the election, Ross Perrot for VP! :D

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-24-2007, 11:29 PM
he has higher values then that.
and I wouldn't vote for them.

LibertyEagle
11-24-2007, 11:46 PM

Because he would NOT be leading the country, Bradley. Vice-presidents have about zero authority, unless the President wants to give them some.

Taco John
11-25-2007, 12:58 AM

No offense to you, but I think your friend is doing a little bit of wishful thinking. I give this scenario 0% chance of playing out where Ron Paul accepts a VP nomination.

Matt Collins
11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
I give this scenario 0% chance of playing out where Ron Paul accepts a VP nomination.I don't think he would either. In fact he said he wouldn't.

me3
11-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Those delegates at the state and national convention also vote on party matters IIRC. I think the State delegates vote on Congressional bids and such.

It's important to have the delegates to influence party platform.

VP wouldn't be any kind of victory.

Goldwater Conservative
11-27-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't see it happening, considering that the establishment wants a unified face. Being a conservative and an independent thinker like Paul is would get in the way of that. Nor would Paul ever accept the VP slot on a pro-empire, pro-police state, pro-welfare state GOP ticket.

And if by some bizarre reason it should come to pass, I wouldn't vote for such a slate anyway, given that the vice presidency is a good way to become politically irrelevant. Besides, I think the powers that be would be frightened of what would happen in the slim but always present chance that Paul had to assume the presidency.

quickmike
11-27-2007, 11:53 PM
If it came down to a Rudy/Paul ticket or a Thompson or Romney/Paul ticket, I would vote Independant or whoever is the Libertarian candidate. Never again will I vote for a "lesser of the two evils" candidate even if RP is the VP running mate. For me, its a win for Ron Paul or screw the two party monopoly.

TheNewYorker
11-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I want to see RP as Prez, and that should be all of our goal.

But I'd rather see RP as VP, than as nothing.

slantedview
11-28-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't think he'd accept the invitation and if he did, I still wouldn't vote for the other candidate so it wouldn't do any good.

Agreed on both points.

Matt Collins
11-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah - I wouldn't vote for RP if he was VP to anyone running at the moment either.

alicegardener
11-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I read the Kucinich would consider RP for his VP. Reverse the order. Take even more anti-war votes and unite red/blue to win. Then guard Doctor Paul with your very lives until he can convert his friend on other issues. Just a thought.

J Free
11-28-2007, 01:08 PM
If this convention is brokered, a platform fight is going to be far more important than the Prez pick. Ron Paul personally is not going to be able to change the GOP. Not even Ronald Reagan could change the GOP (he was coopted into picking a Rockefeller Republican as veep and chief-of-staff).

The reason the GOP was able to avoid change when pressured by Reagan was because his supporters were labelled "Reagan Democrats". ie - everyone wanted to jump on Reagan's coattails but in making the necessary institutional changes - those who didn't really understand what Reagan was all about thought in terms of attracting Dems. Likewise, the Dems moved more towards the "small government" rhetoric in hopes of getting those Reagan Dems back.

As long we RP supporters avoid the smelly sordid work of internal backroom party politics, we will allow others to make the decisions. And even if those others are well-intentioned (ie they really want to bring back small govt, decentralized, non-intervention ideas), they just won't get it. Esp if we allow the media/pundits/pollsters/consultants to label us as something other than Republican.

Matt Collins
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Not even Ronald Reagan could change the GOP (he was coopted into picking a Rockefeller Republican as veep and chief-of-staff).

Good point

mconder
11-28-2007, 05:19 PM
He would not except VP with any of the current candidates. As a recent article surmised, "Ron Paul's support is non transferable" to any of the other Republicans this cycle.

Matt Collins
11-28-2007, 11:23 PM
He would not except VP with any of the current candidates. As a recent article surmised, "Ron Paul's support is non transferable" to any of the other Republicans this cycle.

I think Tancredo would be the closest except of course for the Iraq occupation.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
11-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I really dont think this type of talk helps at all. I know its nighttime but do something constructive. Not waste time thinking what if....

Matt Collins
11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I really dont think this type of talk helps at all. I know its nighttime but do something constructive. Not waste time thinking what if....

Well I think it is always good to explore possible scenarios.