PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Soros donates $1,000,000 to Prop 19...

RileyE104
10-26-2010, 01:24 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/proposition-19-campaign-gets-1-million-donation-from-george-soros.html

Did I miss something? When did Soros become a lover of Liberty..

There has to be a reason behind this... I hate Soros but is it possible for us to agree on this?? lol

My immediate thought is that he sees a market will develop in the future if Prop 19 passes.

Still, does anyone else feel like there's something more sinister behind this??
I can't help but feel that Soros is not to be trusted.

dannno
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Soros has always been pro-cannabis.

I honestly don't know what to think of it, but he's right, so I'm not going to argue.

Though not a huge fan of this particular bill, it will send a huge message which I support.

FrankRep
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM

There has to be a reason behind this... I hate Soros but is it possible for us to agree on this?? lol

Don't let this fool you. Soros is anti-liberty.

JoshLowry
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
That's great.

His late public support is for scoring easy political points. There's a reason most bookies won't take a bet on the winner of a football game 30 seconds before it's over.

Better late never I suppose. I doubt he would have donated a million if the polls were different.

nobody's_hero
10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Maybe he's trying to use reverse psychology?

Fredom101
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Prop 19 is not pro-liberty. :(

Cowlesy
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Maybe he looks at weed as SOMA

BenIsForRon
10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I think he just likes the adoration of liberals. This will score him some brownie points.

That said, I'm very glad he did it. Prop 19 needs some more support.

JoshLowry
10-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Nah, this confirms that Prop 19 is passing.

If not I need to re-evaluate what I think of big photo-op type moves like these.

RileyE104
10-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Prop 19 is not pro-liberty. :(

How is preventing thousands of people from being locked up not pro-Liberty?

Maximus
10-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Very happy to see this

Brian4Liberty
10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Soros has always been pro-cannabis.

Yep. Goes back to when it was a leftist hippie issue.

wormyguy
10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Soros supports anything left.

libertybrewcity
10-26-2010, 04:06 PM
THIS IS EXCELLENT NEWS!

Better a million spent on Prop 19 than a million spent trying to defeat Rand, Angle, Miller, or Buck.

Brett85
10-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Soros has always supported drug legalization. He supports liberty as long as it's a "left wing liberty." Soros would never support a proposition affirming 2nd amendment rights.

wormyguy
10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Soros has always supported drug legalization. He supports liberty as long as it's a "left wing liberty." Soros would never support a proposition affirming 2nd amendment rights.

The same could be said, only in reverse, about right-wingers.

libertybrewcity
10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
More big guns donating to prop 19:

Peter B. Lewis, a retired insurance company executive, recently donated $209,005 to the campaign, and George Zimmer, the founder and CEO of Men’s Wearhouse, recently gave $50,000. Both businessmen
supported past initiatives to change the state’s drug laws.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/multibillionaire-investor-george-soros-backs-proposition-19.html

Brett85
10-26-2010, 04:13 PM
The same could be said, only in reverse, about right-wingers.

True. Neither one are really consistent. I'm one of the rare right wingers who would at least decriminalize pot.

silentshout
10-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Good for him.

oyarde
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Soros will support anything if there is something in it for him .

oyarde
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
True. Neither one are really consistent. I'm one of the rare right wingers who would at least decriminalize pot.

I do not think that is rare anymore .

low preference guy
10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
this might increase leftist turnout and influence other elections, plus he apparently is actually anti-pot.

oyarde
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
this might increase leftist turnout and influence other elections, plus he apparently is actually anti-pot.

Low Pref is onto something here . For Soros , this may have more to do with , say Boxer or something . She will vote for the evil crap and tax and he would make money from that .

Fredom101
10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
How is preventing thousands of people from being locked up not pro-Liberty?

Because the government will now have even more control over mj, and the law is all F'd up. :(

dannno
10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Because the government will now have even more control over mj, and the law is all F'd up. :(

How?!

Right now it is banned for non-medicinal users.. you go to jail.. how much MORE control can you have over a substance than a ban where you put the offender in jail?? Execution, perhaps? But prop 19? I don't think so.

ghengis86
10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
How?!

Right now it is banned for non-medicinal users.. you go to jail.. how much MORE control can you have over a substance than a ban where you put the offender in jail?? Execution, perhaps? But prop 19? I don't think so.

Any move towards the liberty end of the spectrum is good. The police state wasn't built in a day, and it won't be torn down in a day. Honestly, we haven't even gotten rid of idiotic alcohol laws in almost a century...

Agorism
10-26-2010, 07:11 PM
It's a wedge issue basically.

squarepusher
10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/proposition-19-campaign-gets-1-million-donation-from-george-soros.html

My immediate thought is that he sees a market will develop in the future if Prop 19 passes.

prop 19 is anything but pro-liberty which is what you are missing.

idirtify
10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
prop 19 is anything but pro-liberty which is what you are missing.

It is only pro-liberty on a relative comparison basis, where little is more controlled than a scheduled drug. I think 19 will at least reduce control.

libertarian4321
10-30-2010, 09:29 AM
That's great.

His late public support is for scoring easy political points. There's a reason most bookies won't take a bet on the winner of a football game 30 seconds before it's over.

Better late never I suppose. I doubt he would have donated a million if the polls were different.

He's been donating money to pro-marijuana initiatives for at at least 15-years. This is hardly a "last minute" political opportunist move.

torchbearer
10-30-2010, 09:32 AM
He's been donating money to pro-marijuana initiatives for at at least 15-years. This is hardly a "last minute" political opportunist move.

what i don't understand- he sends money to a pro-marijuana legislation, but spends money against a pro-marijuana candidate like Rand.
rand gets the feds out of the drug war game, then the state could decide without fear.

libertarian4321
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
what i don't understand- he sends money to a pro-marijuana legislation, but spends money against a pro-marijuana candidate like Rand.
rand gets the feds out of the drug war game, then the state could decide without fear.

I'm assuming he's against the insane war on drugs, but opposes Rand Paul on other issues (e.g. the wars).

paulitics
10-30-2010, 09:39 AM
It largely helps get out the vote this election cycle for liberals in california. I also noticed the establishment change its tune on pot about four years ago. I predict it will be legal in most states real soon. None of this surprises me.

torchbearer
10-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm assuming he's against the insane war on drugs, but opposes Rand Paul on other issues (e.g. the wars).

so, the war has a higher value to Soros than marijuana legalization.
rand will be no friend to the military industrial complex, so i don't think he would be good for globalist who often profit from both sides of these "wars on people".

libertarian4321
10-30-2010, 09:49 AM
so, the war has a higher value to Soros than marijuana legalization.
rand will be no friend to the military industrial complex, so i don't think he would be good for globalist who often profit from both sides of these "wars on people".

Perhaps.

Based on what I've read from/about Soros, he probably has other issues as well.

But while he may disagree with Rand on a number of other issues, he's been against the insane drug war for a long time.

He's right on this issue, and I'm glad he's using his clout to help win on this issue.

dannno
11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
OMG.... WTF is up with the logo at the end of this ad?!! You can actually see it above the cannabis selling store-front in the still frame below, but checkout the zoomed in version at the end:

YouTube - Proposition 19 - The New Leaf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnfJWypjjno)

Edit: Here - http://c.thenewleaf.org/logo.png

Throwing around phrases like "health of the state" as well..

Already voted "Yes", but this is pretty scary.

jmdrake
11-02-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm assuming that Rand Paul is against the wars too. He was clearly antiwar when campaigning for his dad. Yes he downplayed being antiwar during the campaign to keep the tea party Johnny come latelies (as opposed to the original tea partiers) on board. But if Rand legislates as anything but an antiwar candidate there will be hell to pay.

But there are other issues on the table other than just war and drugs. There's abortion, healthcare, social security privatization, deregulation etc. Don't forget how hateful some people at DailyKos were back in 2007/2008 even though that was still the primary and Ron was the only antiwar candidate in the race. Ron scares liberals because he takes war off the table and leaves them only to talk about the economy.

jmdrake
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Maybe he likes to smoke pot. Does that possibility not occur to anyone?

If you want the "conspiracy" angle, try Alex Jones.

http://www.infowars.com/george-soros-legalize-marijuana

Basically the theory is Soros wants prop 19 to pass so that pot can be taxed. While sometimes AJ has some good stuff, I think his writers over thought this one.

BenIsForRon
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
OMG.... WTF is up with the logo at the end of this ad?!! You can actually see it above the cannabis selling store-front in the still frame below, but checkout the zoomed in version at the end:

Edit: Here - http://c.thenewleaf.org/logo.png

Throwing around phrases like "health of the state" as well..

Already voted "Yes", but this is pretty scary.

It's just an eyeball, what are you so afraid of? The guys who made the logo probably have an intended meaning for the eyeball, but they're not freaking Illuminati.

dannno
11-02-2010, 01:05 PM
It's just an eyeball, what are you so afraid of? The guys who made the logo probably have an intended meaning for the eyeball, but they're not freaking Illuminati.

Do you know who George Soros is :confused:

BenIsForRon
11-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Do you know who George Soros is :confused:

Danno, take a second and breathe. The website who made that video has nothing to do with Soros. You're lumping them together in your head.Check it out:

http://www.ishothim.com

It looks like they're a group of graphic artists who lend their talents to various causes and businesses they believe in. The eye seems to be part of their trademark. You'd have to ask them why they put it in their work.

EonBlue
11-02-2010, 03:06 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/02/some-encouraging-news-from-the

From the Yes on 19 campaign itself, their on-the-ground troops are reporting "youth turnout is so high that the polling location at San Diego State University has completely run out of provisional ballots. We're hearing that it will take 3 or 4 more hours to re-stock the ballots there."

Well, let's hope this has some bearing on the outcome, though past guarantees are no performance of future results, and all that.

Running out of ballots! Does that mean these college kids can't vote for 3-4 hours? Shamtastic.

tremendoustie
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Broken clocks are right twice a day.

dannno
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/02/some-encouraging-news-from-the

Running out of ballots! Does that mean these college kids can't vote for 3-4 hours? Shamtastic.

Wow, that's really bad, but also really great!!

Promontorium
11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
God knows where any Prop 19 money went.

I'm depressed by how dumb people are here. Those who smoke marijuana frequently, cite their preference to black markets to the idea of any "evil corporation".

Meanwhile illegal corporations commonly called cartels are killing the innocent wholesale to provide America with its drugs.

What really depresses me the most about it is that their reasons for being pro black market get to the heart of free market capitalism, but they are too brainwashed to see that. California hates success. Hates it.

RideTheDirt
11-02-2010, 04:16 PM

I believe he gave 3 million for medical pot in CA.

speciallyblend
11-02-2010, 04:19 PM
if it wasn't for the dam hard headed right winger big gov loving flat-earther republicans and dems! this issue would be dead 75 yrs ago!!

speciallyblend
11-02-2010, 04:23 PM
rand paul kicking ass;) so far

dannno
11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
God knows where any Prop 19 money went.

I'm depressed by how dumb people are here. Those who smoke marijuana frequently, cite their preference to black markets to the idea of any "evil corporation".

Meanwhile illegal corporations commonly called cartels are killing the innocent wholesale to provide America with its drugs.

What really depresses me the most about it is that their reasons for being pro black market get to the heart of free market capitalism, but they are too brainwashed to see that. California hates success. Hates it.

Wait, I just bumped with a story about how SDSU area ran out of provisional ballots and the lines were astronomical!!

I don't think it's fair to judge cannabis users like that. Although one of my roommates is a techno-communist and I agree that it is ridiculous he can't see how pro-free market his pro-black market views are (the non-cartel, home grown version of the black market..), to be fair, he is also in the military and doesn't actually toke herb.. though you would think he wasn't in the military and did toke herb if you met him.

speciallyblend
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Wait, I just bumped with a story about how SDSU area ran out of provisional ballots and the lines were astronomical!!

I don't think it's fair to judge cannabis users like that. Although one of my roommates is a techno-communist and I agree that it is ridiculous he can't see how pro-free market his pro-black market views are (the non-cartel, home grown version of the black market..), to be fair, he is also in the military and doesn't actually toke herb.. though you would think he wasn't in the military and did toke herb if you met him.

>>>>>>>>>> hold on,;) give me a minute!!!!!!!!!! go cali:) hold on puff puff pass;)

go vote cali;)

dannno
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
>>>>>>>>>> hold on,;) give me a minute!!!!!!!!!! go cali:) hold on puff puff pass;)

go vote cali;)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7AiC506owg7jSM:http://weeddaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/blunt-1213.jpg&t=1

Do you know what Ron Paul would say about the above picture?

"If that were HEMP, he STILL wouldn't even get high cause it isn't as big as a telephone poll! And hemp is illegal!!"

speciallyblend
11-02-2010, 04:53 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7AiC506owg7jSM:http://weeddaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/blunt-1213.jpg&t=1

Do you know what Ron Paul would say about the above picture?

"If that were HEMP, he STILL wouldn't even get high cause it isn't as big as a telephone poll! And hemp is illegal!!"

i got some cookies for ron paul, chocolate chip:)

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't let this fool you. Soros is anti-liberty.
Which billionaire isn't?