AGRP
10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Thoughts about throwing people out of their own homes? :D

Dripping Rain
10-25-2010, 11:22 PM
South Park had an amazing episode on hoarding a few weeks back LOL

haaaylee
10-26-2010, 05:50 AM
CSI just had an episode of a hoarder who had so much shit in there she didn't know there was a dead body, ha.

Bern
10-26-2010, 06:31 AM
koyaanisqatsi

MelissaWV
10-26-2010, 07:47 AM
CSI just had an episode of a hoarder who had so much shit in there she didn't know there was a dead body, ha.

That's actually happened before, only it was the hoarder's body that was lost in the rubble.

As to the OP, I think that people to whom the obligation/mess might pass if the person dies, or who just generally care about the hoarder, should be able to check up on the person in question. Most of the time it seems they decide to enable instead, but that's a whole 'nother story. I'm of two minds as to whether it's ever okay to enter the home. I am certain that, if it should be okay, it should be an utterly last resort undertaken with full realization that an angry hoarder may decide you are trespassing and take appropriate action.

If I were living next door to a hoarder in some of these neighborhoods where the houses are literally a couple of feet apart, I would think the smell would eventually drive me over to ask what the hell is going on. It behooves neighbors to work with the hoarder and their family to see if the problems can be remedied.

Should the police be going in and declaring a house "unsafe"? That seems very much like a victimless crime to me, or maybe it's better characterized as "suicide by clutter."

TheState
10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Obviously, I don't think the government should have any role in removing people from their own houses because they are "unsafe" or "unsanitary", but some of the houses have gotten so bad that they are affecting neighboring properties (with vermin, smells, or other hazards). I think there can be a case made there for intervention since the property rights of others are being violated, but I'm sure the way they go about it is wrong and could probably be better handled through private HOA contracts in the community or something like that.