PDA

View Full Version : Bush Responsible for Creation of Tea Party

AuH20
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Insightful article. The GOP will reap the whirlwind.

http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Tea-Started-Brewing-Under-Bush.html

When Governor Bush articulated his vision for “compassionate conservatism” at a speech to the Manhattan Institute in 1999, he rejected the typical Republican “disdain for government,” and sided with Benjamin Franklin, arguing that “the general opinion of the goodness of government” is foundational to America. The government must concern itself with the “human problems that persist in the shadow of affluence,” and conservative ideals should be utilized in the interest of “greater justice, less suffering, more opportunity.” Bush even criticized the Republican-controlled Congress for “balancing the budget on the backs of the poor.” Instead, the showcase for his compassionate conservative government was to be his education plan, which would not shrink or dismantle the Department of Education but would use it to deliver substantial sums of money to vouchers and charter schools, spurring competition for federal dollars in order to fund a free market reform of the American educational system.

Democrats misread the moment of their ascendance. They thought Bush represented conservatism itself, rather than a particular strand of conservatism, and they interpreted the electorate’s repudiation of Bush as a repudiation of traditional conservatism. Whether the Democrats would have done anything differently, if they had better understood the world outside the echo chamber, is debatable. But they might at least have known that the American people as a whole were not ready for a rapid expansion of government amidst debts and deficits unseen since the Second World War. America as a whole has remained center-right, and it is entirely natural that those who rejected Bush for his government growth and deficit spending would become, when Obama exploded that growth and spending, the leaders of the Tea Party movement. Further, for many conservatives there was some amount of trust that Bush would not go too far, that his policies were pro-growth, that his deficits were more sustainable. Obama came along and tripled the rate at which the debt is growing, budgeted for trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye could see, and punishes the very same private sector that he so desperately needs to create jobs. This alone, without reference to racism or bigotry or irrational hatred, is sufficient explanation for the Tea Party movement.

Yet the rejection of big-government conservatism, amongst libertarians, reaches further back. A Cato Institute article from 2003 calls Bush “the most gratuitous big spender to occupy the White House since Jimmy Carter.” It was not possible to blame this on the wars alone, since non-defense discretionary spending had increased by even more (20.8%) than total spending (15.6%). “Government agencies that Republicans were calling to be abolished less than 10 years ago, such as education and labor, have enjoyed jaw-dropping spending increases under Bush of 70 and 65 percent respectively.” While some expenditures are matters of political expediency, this only means that Bush “spends like Carter and panders like Clinton.” The chairman of Cato even hoped for a divided government, and Doug Bandow at The American Conservative lamented the Republican majority that was “promoting larger government at almost every turn.”

HOLLYWOOD
10-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Nope... I've owned my Revolutionary War Uniform for 20 years! :)

ARealConservative
10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Nope... I've owned my Revolutionary War Uniform for 20 years! :)

but you guys were not household names.

akforme
10-26-2010, 12:09 AM
That's one of the biggest obstacles of our movement. For example, liberals hate Reagan, and Reagan was for massive Keynesian government, but since the neocons and Reagan called it "small government" that's what gets blamed when it's the complete opposite.

JoshLowry
10-26-2010, 12:23 AM
but you guys were not household names.

But his and Ron Paul's butterfly effect before he was even a household name is the reason we are here today.

ARealConservative
10-26-2010, 01:01 AM
But his and Ron Paul's butterfly effect before he was even a household name is the reason we are here today.

whatever allows you guys to sleep at night.

I would of started the group myself, but I was busy explaining to Harry Reid how to stave off the next big depression.

JoshLowry
10-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Hold on a sec, someone writes an article about how Bush is the cause of the tea party.

Hollywood who is a great activist beats his chest with a wink and says he's been doing tea party stuff for 20 years. Literally. He dresses up in that uniform and you're going to crap on his actions with a "Quite peon, you're a no name and can't gloat!"

I mention a small simple action can change the world and then you throw a fit?

Cranky much?

ARealConservative
10-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Hold on a sec, someone writes an article about how Bush is the cause of the tea party.

Hollywood who is a great activist beats his chest with a wink and says he's been doing tea party stuff for 20 years. Literally. He dresses up in that uniform and you're going to crap on his actions with a "Quite peon, you're a no name and can't gloat!"

I mention a small simple action can change the world and then you throw a fit?

Cranky much?

whoa.

you think this is throwing a fit?

none of this is even serious

JoshLowry
10-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I took Hollywood's post as being a light hearted chest beat from someone who has been working hard a long time and finally happy to be a part of something that looks like it has legs.

Esor
10-26-2010, 02:04 AM
someone who has been working hard a long time and finally happy to be a part of something that looks like it has legs.

Until we step on a landmine.

acptulsa
10-26-2010, 10:05 AM
And that article sets out to be such a land mine. Dubya 'started conservatism' (even though all he ever did is try to sound like Reagan) and the Democrats misread the conservatives' reactions? Try, Dubya finally precipitated the growth of fundamental conservatism by ignoring it (the umpteenth Republican president to do no more than pay lip service to it) and in fact running up horrible deficits right in conservatives' faces. If he's responsible for the rise of the so-called Tea Party Movement, that's how. Not by succeeding, but by failing in an epic way.

The implication that We, the People do nothing that has political meaning and that the things we create either wouldn't exist without this or that figure from recent history, or that what we create means nothing until we get a few old washouts with recognizable names or recognizable schtick haircuts (Newt comes to mind) to jump on board, sets my teeth on edge.

HOLLYWOOD
10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I think my Tactics, Marketing and Sales have been effective over the past 15-20 years, but more so sucessful over the past 5 years.

While many were holding up signs that TV viewers needed a magnifying glass to kinda recognized, I realized what is required for visibility on the power of Media and exploited them, just as much as they have exploited US. I used them much more affective to the viewing audience and did get on National broadcasts as well in Print/Newspapers, Call In show, C-SPAN, and rallies. I ensured Freedom, Liberties, and Ron Paul's fight for us is not forgotten... or how this rigged political Cess Pool inside the DC Beltway and global media control this establishment.

Try to recognize were you can use them... kinda what Mike Huckster's campaign manager (Ed Rollins)exploited free MSM in 2008. Back in 2008 SpecialtyBlend and I had the posts on here of forming the Tea Party... that's in black and white, on this forum's history. By uniting disgrunted Dems/Reps with Independents, Constitutionalists, Greenies, Peace & Freedom, etc etc, it then becomes a force to take on TPTB. It's the only way to beat the establishment Duopolies Empire. You witnessed how the establishment and their MSM paid media pundits discredited us as we became populer and powerful. It's all working, just have to keep the TPers from following the synthetic hijackers.

I educated 100's if not 1000's personally, and if half of them do the same, I consider it a sucess and even if it's taken years as it has grown slowly but surely... I consider it a complete sucess.

PS: Bush ain't Sh!T... he just may have accelerated my, yours, ours, "We The People" destiny, that's all.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/FOX_happyHour.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/DSC01290.jpg
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/DSC01291-1.jpg

georgiaboy
10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
hooray for Hollywood

acptulsa
10-31-2010, 03:40 PM
hooray for Hollywood

LOL and three more cheers!

Indy Vidual
10-31-2010, 06:35 PM
I think my Tactics, Marketing and Sales have been effective over the past 15-20 years, but more so sucessful over the past 5 years.

While many were holding up signs that TV viewers needed a magnifying glass to kinda recognized, I realized what is required for visibility on the power of Media and exploited them, just as much as they have exploited US. I used them much more affective to the viewing audience and did get on National broadcasts as well in Print/Newspapers, Call In show, C-SPAN, and rallies. I ensured Freedom, Liberties, and Ron Paul's fight for us is not forgotten... or how this rigged political Cess Pool inside the DC Beltway and global media control this establishment.

Try to recognize were you can use them... kinda what Mike Huckster's campaign manager (Ed Rollins)exploited free MSM in 2008. Back in 2008 SpecialtyBlend and I had the posts on here of forming the Tea Party... that's in black and white, on this forum's history. By uniting disgrunted Dems/Reps with Independents, Constitutionalists, Greenies, Peace & Freedom, etc etc, it then becomes a force to take on TPTB. It's the only way to beat the establishment Duopolies Empire. You witnessed how the establishment and their MSM paid media pundits discredited us as we became populer and powerful. It's all working, just have to keep the TPers from following the synthetic hijackers.

I educated 100's if not 1000's personally, and if half of them do the same, I consider it a sucess and even if it's taken years as it has grown slowly but surely... I consider it a complete sucess.

PS: Bush ain't Sh!T... he just may have accelerated my, yours, ours, "We The People" destiny, that's all.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/FOX_happyHour.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/DSC01290.jpg
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/DSC01291-1.jpg

hooray for Hollywood

LOL and three more cheers!

Hollywood TV star... Good going.

legion
10-31-2010, 07:12 PM
I appreciate you Hollywood, even if William Krystal doesn't.

I spell the word Krystal, rather than Kristol, as a hat tip to that person's probable place of employment.