PDA

View Full Version : NJ weighs new bullying laws after Rutgers suicide (article)

Krugerrand
10-25-2010, 01:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101025/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_bullying

New Jersey lawmakers introduced an "anti-bullying bill of rights" Monday that one advocate said would be the toughest state law of its kind in the nation, a proposal that follows the widely publicized suicide of a Rutgers University student who was humiliated online.

Notice, we can never teach people how to deal with bullies themselves. Otherwise, the government would be left powerless.

Cowlesy
10-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Notice, we can never teach people how to deal with bullies themselves. Otherwise, the government would be left powerless.

Completely agree.

Everytime something horrible happens, here comes GOVERNMENT to the rescue.

paulitics
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
The great paradox is that bullying occurs most in "liberal" neighborhoods. I have no real data to back that up by the way, but I think our intuition tells us that inner cities, poor neighborhoods, and areas where reliance on government is high experience the most bullying.

These laws won't do anything by the way other than give the parents another excuse to take their minds off their kids.

Kregisen
10-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Why is this a state's issue? Leave it to the district or school or something.

cooker263
10-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Posting the video was a terrible idea and an invasion of privacy. It put that kid in an incredibly awkward position and I can't imagine the embarrassment. But what really bothers me is how this kid is almost seen as a hero by people across the country. Sure, bullying sucks, but the kid took the easy way out and killed himself. Shouldn't the message be that people need to be able to look at tough situations and deal with them themselves? Instead, the message seems to be we're going to build a massive campaign against bullying and defer any responsibility away from need for defensive action.

osan
10-25-2010, 08:28 PM

Strong, adroit, intelligent, well educated, self-possessed, accountable citizens render government irrelevant. That is why the public schools are as they are - to best ensure that the critical mass of helpless, clued out, irresponsible, emotionally stilted citizens is maintained into eternity.

specsaregood
10-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Posting the video was a terrible idea and an invasion of privacy. It put that kid in an incredibly awkward position and I can't imagine the embarrassment. But what really bothers me is how this kid is almost seen as a hero by people across the country.

Worth noting the "kid" also regularly jerked off in front of webcam for the benefit of lots of other gay men. At least that's what I heard. So it isn't like he hadn't been filmed before and put on the internet.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Tyler_Clementi