PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian Party of Georgia Urges Defeat of All Ballot Amendments

Zatch
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM
ATLANTA - The Libertarian Party of Georgia released their recommendations for the constitutional amendments and referendum to appear on November's ballot today. The Libertarian Party is urging voters statewide to cast a "No" vote on each of the five proposed constitutional amendments, as well as the proposed referendum.

In their recommendation release, Georgia Libertarians took a position on Amendment 1 that may surprise voters. Their position calls for a "No" vote, citing a stifling of marketplace expansion by enforcing employment contract clauses that prohibit former employees of a company to go to work for a competing firm or to start their own venture. They note that by protecting the interests of big business, by adding a barrier to entry into the marketplace, is not a solution for economic growth.

"When a large company releases an employee, or an employee leaves a firm of their own will, punishing that employee beyond their term of employment by contractually barring them from joining a competitor or starting their own firm in the same field hurts the potential economic growth," said Operations Director, Brett Bittner. "By preventing employees from choosing the 'best fit' for their abilities, you stifle the free market that exists for labor."

The remaining amendments also receive a "No" vote recommendation from the Party, citing increases in taxes and fees and budget concerns for Amendments 2-4. Amendment 5 receives a "No" vote due to the irrevocable annexation clause, should a property owner choose removal from an industrial area.

To see the full report of recommendations, click here:

http://lpgeorgia.com/pdf/LPGeorgiaBallotAmendments.pdf

nobody's_hero
10-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Voted early yesterday.

Voted "no" on 1 and 2.

Left 3 and 4 blank because I didn't have a clue as to what they meant.

5 I voted "yes."

Referendum, I voted "yes". I think the libertarian party is dead wrong on this one.

I have a friend who owns a firearms store and he's having to wait until January to stock his inventory because he'll have to pay taxes on any unsold guns and ammo at the end of this year, regardless of the fact that he'll only have been open for about 4 months.

I appreciate that the libertarian party has a tendency to be the party of "no" (I mean that in a positive way), but there comes a point at which you start inadvertently shooting-down some fairly good ideas because you habitually say "no" so often.

Taxing a business for not selling is about as rediculous as taxing a person's income for working. And threatening businesses with an end of year tax which leads them to pawn off their wares doesn't exactly paint the picture of "market forces" as much as it "forces markets."

Zatch
11-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's C4L recommendations:

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=38983