PDA

View Full Version : The Libertarian Virtues of Dumpster Diving

Matt Collins
10-23-2010, 08:29 AM
http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2010/10/libertarian-virtues-of-dumpster-diving.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HumbleLibertarian+%28The+Humb le+Libertarian%29

dannno
10-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Great article!!

I've never taken the dive myself, but I have some friends who have done it fairly regularly for years. The economy has already produced the food, which is still perfectly good, why not put your resources towards other goods and services rather than increasing the demand (and price) of food when u can dive for it?

Most of the time perfectly good food is thrown into the dumpster due to govt. regulations. My friends have thrown bbqs for dozens of people where nearly all of the food supplied was dumpstered, often from high end health food stores. They don't tell the people at the bbq unless they are 'down' with that sort of stuff, and nobody ever complains and in fact they are usually very good and successful due to the high quality of the food.

Legend1104
10-23-2010, 11:27 AM
My papaw taught me the value of dumpster diving. When I worked at winn Dixie the bakery department every night would throw out all the bread and pastries made the same day because they only wanted to sell it fresh. Usually two or three large garbage bags a night. Sadly, they locked the dumpster though so you couldn't get in it.

denison
10-23-2010, 11:38 AM
respect for private property doesn't apply?

in a libertarian society how can you go onto someone's property and take something from their dumpster?

and what if you step on a dirty needle?