PDA

View Full Version : Republican house candidate: violent overthrow of government is 'on the table'

Rael
10-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Republican congressional candidate says violent overthrow of government is 'on the table'

12:00 AM CDT on Friday, October 22, 2010

By MELANIE MASON / The Dallas Morning News
mmason@dallasnews.com

WASHINGTON – Republican congressional candidate Stephen Broden stunned his party Thursday, saying he would not rule out violent overthrow of the government if elections did not produce a change in leadership.

In a rambling exchange during a TV interview, Broden, a South Dallas pastor, said a violent uprising "is not the first option," but it is "on the table." That drew a quick denunciation from the head of the Dallas County GOP, who called the remarks "inappropriate."

Broden, a first-time candidate, is challenging veteran incumbent Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson in Dallas' heavily Democratic 30th Congressional District. Johnson's campaign declined to comment on Broden.

In the interview, Brad Watson, political reporter for WFAA-TV (Channel 8), asked Broden about a tea party event last year in Fort Worth in which he described the nation's government as tyrannical.

"We have a constitutional remedy," Broden said then. "And the Framers say if that don't work, revolution."

Watson asked if his definition of revolution included violent overthrow of the government. In a prolonged back-and-forth, Broden at first declined to explicitly address insurrection, saying the first way to deal with a repressive government is to "alter it or abolish it."

"If the government is not producing the results or has become destructive to the ends of our liberties, we have a right to get rid of that government and to get rid of it by any means necessary," Broden said, adding the nation was founded on a violent revolt against Britain's King George III.

Watson asked if violence would be in option in 2010, under the current government.

"The option is on the table. I don't think that we should remove anything from the table as it relates to our liberties and our freedoms," Broden said, without elaborating. "However, it is not the first option."

Reactions

Jonathan Neerman, head of the Dallas County Republican Party, said he's never heard Broden or other local Republican candidates advocate violence against the government.

"It is a disappointing, isolated incident," Neerman said. He said he plans to discuss the matter with Broden's campaign.

Ken Emanuelson, a Broden supporter and leading tea party organizer in Dallas, said he did not disagree with the "philosophical point" that people had the right to resist a tyrannical government.

But, he said, "Do I see our government today anywhere close to that point? No, I don't."

Emanuelson said he's occasionally heard people call for direct action against the government, but that they typically do not get involved in electoral politics.

That Broden is "engaged in the election and running for office shows he's got faith in the system as it is," Emanuelson said.

Other statements

Also in the interview, Broden backed away from other controversial statements he has made at rallies and on cable news appearances.

In June 2009, he described the economic crash in the housing, banking and automotive industries as "contrived" and a "set up" by the Obama administration.

Asked Thursday about the validity of these, Broden said they were "authentic crises facing this nation."

Broden also retreated from other remarks last year that chided Americans for not being more outraged over government intrusion, comparing them to Jews "walking into the furnaces" under the Nazi regime in Germany.

"They are our enemies, and we must resist them," he said of government leaders.

Broden said Thursday that he wasn't trying to compare President Barack Obama to Hitler and he mistakenly linked the U.S. in 2010 to Nazi Germany.

In the uphill campaign against Johnson, Broden has sought to capitalize on her misuse of scholarship funds from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, a nonprofit entity.

In late August, The Dallas Morning News reported that Johnson provided 23 scholarships over five years to two of her grandsons, two children of her nephew, and two children of her top aide in Dallas. None of those recipients were eligible under the foundation's anti-nepotism rules or residency requirements. She has repaid the foundation more than $31,000.

Anti Federalist
10-22-2010, 10:57 PM
~~~~Vapors~~~~~

Quick, get the smelling salts.

FFS...

Read the Declaration of Independence.

What does "alter or abolish" mean to you???

legion
10-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Well you know what they say when they're talking about Iran.

You can't take anything off the table.

Does the same principle apply here?

Knightskye
10-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Long train of abuses and usurpations. Bush/Obama does not = King George. It's just not.

Anti Federalist
10-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Long train of abuses and usurpations. Bush/Obama does not = King George. It's just not.

Damn right.

Bush/Obama are much worse.

Even King George wouldn't "black bag" a colonial citizen and ship him off for torture and execution in Persia.

Rael
10-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Damn right.

Bush/Obama are much worse.

Yes

Indy Vidual
10-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Of course, a better-known Republican congressman from Texas named Ron Paul, wants to lead a peaceful movement.
How will the modern American story end? :D

cindy25
10-23-2010, 01:25 AM
almost surely there will be civil unrest on the French/Greek level; and although not likely several states could attempt to leave the union.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-23-2010, 01:27 AM
I disagree that violence will solve our problems when violence is the problem in the first place. Non-violent resistance is often times the most successful means of achieving your goals, and not to mention that it is a better means to the end.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-23-2010, 02:35 AM
I agree violence is not a good solution to violence but I don't like the people who flout around the founding fathers and the Declaration of Independence and then say.

Well, I don't actually believe in any of that destructive of these ends crap.

Stary Hickory
10-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Sometimes violence is all that is left, if the state thought it could do anything it wanted without repercussion there would be no end to the atrocities it would commit. Let us never forget that the state commits acts of violence everyday, in fact the state is an institution of coercion and violence.

I think you would have to be crazy to not to fight if there was no other recourse to getting others to simply leave you alone and live in peace. Never forget the violent aggressors are the government and the statists behind it. If they would drop all forms of violence used against peaceful people those people might remain peaceful, otherwise it is their right to defend themselves and their liberty,.

ItsTime
10-23-2010, 07:17 AM

We are less free than we were in 1776.

LibertyBrews
10-23-2010, 07:24 AM
The Constitution encourage the people to overthrow tyrants, the way i see it, it can be done with both peaceful AND violent means. The last hundred years, the executive branch powers have been widened at the expense of the legislative branch, i strongly believe the founding fathers would have been against such widened mandates.

lynnf
10-23-2010, 07:44 AM

we've already suffered more than the founding fathers did overall at the beginning. the origin of their discontent was a small tax stamp.

lynn

Stary Hickory
10-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I am not going to surrender my freedoms any more. No matter what laws they may or may not pass I will not obey. If lawless politicians are making laws then those laws were made to be broken. The government has overstepped it's bounds in so many ways that it is mind boggling.

In Russia breaking the law is the only way to survive. It won't be any different here. I just hope we can organize and get rid of oppressive government before it gets that bad.

klamath
10-23-2010, 08:19 AM
idiot.

kahless
10-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I do not believe there will be violence over policy if things do not get any worse then they are now. But if the US dollar collapses all hell will probably break loose. You would have riots from those losing government benefits and government jobs. The real gasoline on the fire will be Americans losing their life saving and retirement accounts.

xd9fan
10-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Read the Declaration of Independence.

What does "alter or abolish" mean to you???

No $hit..........

The D of I is not a joke, its not just an old piece of paper

we will try elections and hope it works out......

The only way the Federal govt will stop is by an Article 5 convention by the states ( if the states have the balls to take back their powers.....they created the Fed Govt, they can chain it down)

If the fed govt will not back down........then their is your sign that "working through the law and Constitution" will no longer work and force will be needed.

I for one dont not believe the Fed Govt will back down. States will need to leave the current "union" as a last resort before war. (which like the first civil war....may cause it.....oh well......the fed govt cancer has been out of control for far to long)

Wachington DC will not self-correct. Waiting every two year to correct the problem may not be enough.......thinkin thats why the Founding Boys wrote the D of I.......

FrankRep
10-23-2010, 09:40 AM
History and Reality is on the side of Stephen Broden.

Anti Federalist
10-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Sometimes violence is all that is left, if the state thought it could do anything it wanted without repercussion there would be no end to the atrocities it would commit. Let us never forget that the state commits acts of violence everyday, in fact the state is an institution of coercion and violence.

I think you would have to be crazy to not to fight if there was no other recourse to getting others to simply leave you alone and live in peace. Never forget the violent aggressors are the government and the statists behind it. If they would drop all forms of violence used against peaceful people those people might remain peaceful, otherwise it is their right to defend themselves and their liberty,.

That ^^^

fj45lvr
10-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Liberty does not happen by "accident" but follows resistance. That's the way it works.

Anti Federalist
10-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Broden Backtracks: Violent Revolution Is ‘Not on the Table Today’

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/broden-backtracks-violent-revolution-is-not-on-the-table-today/

https://www.brodenforcongress.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/speaking%203%20resized.jpg

Impressed by his conservative views, The Dallas Morning News editorial board endorsed Stephen Broden back on October 4. But after his controversial interview with WFAA’s Brad Watson this week, they called him back to clarify what he meant by this exchange:

BRODEN: “Our nation was founded on violence.”

WATSON: “In 2010 you would urge that as an option, though?”

BRODEN: “The option is on the table. I don’t think that we should ever remove anything from the table as relates to our liberties and our freedoms.”

Speaking by telephone with the News’ William McKenzie, Broden tried to walk that statement back.

McKENZIE: “Are you saying, unequivocally, that violent revolution is not on the table today?”

BRODEN: “It is not on the the table today.”

But by the time he made that retraction, Broden was already drawing harsh reaction from former supporters like radio host Glenn Beck.

“Pastor Stephen Broden said that? That’s crazy!” Beck said.

Broden blamed the statement on Watson’s interview techniques, but when pressed by The News, he agreed that there might come a time for a rebellion.

BRODEN: “I believe that this is an option that is available to us as a nation, but only in the worst-case scenario, and we are nowhere near anything like that.”

Instead, Broden repeatedly told The News editors that violence is not the solution

BRODEN: “Let me be clear; the only way to protect liberty is through peaceable change at the ballot box.”

While The Dallas Morning News may have accepted Broden’s clarifications, its editors now question his judgment. In Saturday’s paper, they are withdrawing their endorsement.

They now offer no recommendation in the District 30 congressional race between Broden and Eddie Bernice Johnson.

Bossobass
10-23-2010, 01:42 PM
That ^^^

Agreed.

If someone breaks into your home and announces the intent to steal everything, then rape and torture your wife, I would tend not to think of running into my garage to paint a protest sign.

Bosso