PDA

View Full Version : Schiff hanging with neocons?

itshappening
10-22-2010, 09:44 AM
I dont get it...

A recently leaked list of attendees to a meeting held by the powerful billionaire Koch brothers is causing problems for some of the attendees, who thought they would be able to attend the meeting in secret.

Now that the list has been leaked, Washington Examiner columnist, Tim Carney, has gone so far as to write a column admitting that he gave a speech at the meeting and that he was "invited to speak on the condition of confidentiality, but now that the guest list is out there, I’ll fess up. Yes, I was the speaker at a dinner."

Other names that have come to light as attendees, because of the leaked list, include: Glenn Beck, Karl Rove operative/fundraiser David Malek, Denver-based billionaire and owner of, The Weekly Standard, Phil Anschutz, Steve Bechtel, Ed Meese, Peter Schiff and Steve Moore, a member of the Wall Street Journal editorial board.

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2010/10/carney-busted-explains.html

Epic
10-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Not all of those are neocons. Beck, Carney, and Schiff are not.

MRoCkEd
10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Sounds like conservatives, neocons, and libertarians

specsaregood
10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Not all of those are neocons. Beck, Carney, and Schiff are not.

Of course thread title implies no such thing.

itshappening
10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Beck supports war and bailouts, he's a fake

Seraphim
10-22-2010, 09:55 AM
The ruling class take the smart ones and try to bribe and coddle them into the group. Schiff is part of the intelectually elite. His message is powerful and true. To the social elite who run things, Schiff is an adversary. What better way to neutralize that threat than try to get him to join "the dark side"?

Just a thought.

I don't think Schiff would give in. As one poster for the article said, Schiff as a mole is possible and beneficial.

erowe1
10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
The thread title makes it sound like it was a neocon meeting, not just a meeting hosted by the Koch brothers (who are not neocons) that a lot of people went to, including some neocons.

If you're not supposed to attend a meeting that some neoconservatives also attend, where does that leave us? CPAC is out. Every state GOP convention is out. Congress itself is out.

specsaregood
10-22-2010, 09:58 AM
not just a meeting hosted by the Koch brothers (who are not neocons)

What are they then?

Bern
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Wait a minute! Hold the phones!

Are you telling me the media is suddenly interested in secret meetings involving the rich and media barons? Suddenly it's not tin foil hat territory to examine them?

erowe1
10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
What are they then?

They're relatively libertarian. They're cozy with the GOP, but have never supported neoconservative policies.
http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2010/08/29/in-defense-of-the-kochtopus/

hugolp
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Wait a minute! Hold the phones!

Are you telling me the media is suddenly interested in secret meetings involving the rich and media barons? Suddenly it's not tin foil hat territory to examine them?

Only if they are libertarian leaning or conservative. If it is a meeting of liberal rich then its not news. Its called populism because they are going to loose in November.

specsaregood
10-22-2010, 10:03 AM
They're relatively libertarian. They're cozy with the GOP, but have never supported neoconservative policies.
http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2010/08/29/in-defense-of-the-kochtopus/

I seem to recall them supporting Grayson in the primary against Rand, they have never support Ron have they? Maybe they aren't neocons and just part of "the establishment".

itshappening
10-22-2010, 10:04 AM
they hate Ron Paul because the Koch brothers are Fed lovers

erowe1
10-22-2010, 10:05 AM
I seem to recall them supporting Grayson in the primary against Rand, they have never support Ron have they? Maybe they aren't neocons and just part of "the establishment".

You're right about them supporting Grayson and not supporting Ron Paul. I'm not sure what the explanation for that is (or why Raimondo doesn't mention it in that article). But it seems to be something other than neoconservatism. Your last distinction seems appropriate.

gls
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Aren't the Koch brothers huge proponents of central banking/the Federal Reserve? "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer", maybe?

Bern
10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Only if they are libertarian leaning or conservative. If it is a meeting of liberal rich then its not news. Its called populism because they are going to loose in November.

I guess the Bilderbergers can breath easy then.

Jordan
10-22-2010, 10:11 AM
I hate to break it to you, but hanging with libertarians means getting 1% of the vote.

specsaregood
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
I hate to break it to you, but hanging with libertarians means getting 1% of the vote.

Just how they like it.

Bern
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM

Must be why the NYT et al are so preoccupied with them.

Imperial
10-22-2010, 10:32 AM
You're right about them supporting Grayson and not supporting Ron Paul. I'm not sure what the explanation for that is (or why Raimondo doesn't mention it in that article). But it seems to be something other than neoconservatism. Your last distinction seems appropriate.

My theory is that their activities in government (lobbying against EPA regulations, giving money to all types of establishment politicos, etc.) are for their short-term gain- that is, to ensure the highest profits possible for Koch Industries.

On the other hand, their activities with the network of non-profits, think tanks, and activist groups they support don't have to worry about profit. Their purpose is the same as the network of Soros-funded think tanks- to shift discussion to their views.

Corto_Maltese
10-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Guys, if anyone calls in today at Peter Schiffs radio show, pls ask him about it. If im up at that hour (CET here) I might ask myself.

Brian4Liberty
10-22-2010, 11:01 AM
My theory is that their activities in government (lobbying against EPA regulations, giving money to all types of establishment politicos, etc.) are for their short-term gain- that is, to ensure the highest profits possible for Koch Industries.

On the other hand, their activities with the network of non-profits, think tanks, and activist groups they support don't have to worry about profit. Their purpose is the same as the network of Soros-funded think tanks- to shift discussion to their views.

Interesting. Do you ever wonder if some "philosophies" are co-opted and nurtured for nefarious reasons?

Are there any true libertarians on Wall St?:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=265393

jtstellar
10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
maybe the OP just doesn't know schiff well enough

but again why should others that do know him over his work on economic liberty the past few decades comfort you that it's not something out of the ordinary.. either way why are you acting like schiff belongs to you? he is a person like every other.. we have our activities and not all of our actions are going to be black and white and we certainly don't need your approval on every step of our way
you sound like an emotionally fragile member of some paranoid fraternity

specsaregood
10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
maybe the OP just doesn't know schiff well enough
you sound like an emotionally fragile member of some paranoid fraternity

One thing is certain though, nobody here knows you well enough.
Welcome to the site though. :)

Fredom101
10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Beck supports war and bailouts, he's a fake

Schiff also supports invading Iran. :(

AGRP
10-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I believe libertarians/constitutionalists eventually have to "hang out" with EVERYONE since the constitution relates to everyone. It must be done in order to convert those who are misled.

I can relate just as much to a hard core peace protester then I can a neo-con. They just need a bit of information to see the light.

Corto_Maltese
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Schiff also supports invading Iran. :(

I wouldnt call it invading. He supports boming a suspected nuclear facility it they are certain that there are weapons there, but he is against sending ground troops and occupying the country.
Of course I disagree with him. The second a bomb drops on Iran you will have WW3. Funny to see in a O'reilly factor that even Bill acknowledges that.

Fredom101
10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I wouldnt call it invading. He supports boming a suspected nuclear facility it they are certain that there are weapons there, but he is against sending ground troops and occupying the country.
Of course I disagree with him. The second a bomb drops on Iran you will have WW3. Funny to see in a O'reilly factor that even Bill acknowledges that.

Ok, invading or bombing, Schiff's inner war monger is there..and I don't like it. You're right, bomb drops on Iran, WWIII is underway. No thanks.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
10-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Schiff will do a conference with anybody who will listen to him.

johngr
10-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I read but have not been able to find the video, that he spoke a the Zeitgeist 2007 conference. This one:

http://www.youtube.com/v/C2ahWHbUVVU

http://www.youtube.com/v/43sUEFcD4Ro

If that's true, it could mean he's onboard with the NWO globalist one world government/currency crowd.

Flash
10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Ron Paul always advocated talking with your enemies and exchanging ideas.

jtstellar
10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
One thing is certain though, nobody here knows you well enough.
Welcome to the site though. :)

this is the third forum for me and interestingly member seniority is always the first thing people mention, rather than addressing the issue.

and there's nothing to be known about me, i'm not a leading activist in the movement.

on the other hand, i'm tired of some people (out of forums i have visited thus far) expecting anything and everything out of these "movement heads", as if schiff attending one party less will somehow change anything. but i guess massive in-fighting/drama and pulling down of leading figures is just a libertarian thing. you should check the rand paul bashing on dailypaul. it's quite something.

specsaregood
10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
this is the third forum for me and interestingly member seniority is always the first thing people mention, rather than addressing the issue.

When your initial post on the forum includes assumptions that the OP --a longtime member --doesn't know much about schiff, then concludes with an attack such as, "you sound like an emotionally fragile member of some paranoid fraternity " you must expect people to wary of your new membership. A quick search would show that the OP has posted great deal about schiff over time.

and there's nothing to be known about me, i'm not a leading activist in the movement.

Really? You don't have thoughts, ideas, opinions? Most of the people here aren't "leading activists", I still know quite a bit about them.

but i guess massive in-fighting/drama and pulling down of leading figures is just a libertarian thing.
Well, can't really argue about that. ;)

I did welcome you to the site, try not to take things too emotionally/seriously and you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it.