PDA

View Full Version : Senate Balance of Power: Dems 48 GOP 47 Toss-Ups 5

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/election_2010_senate_balance_of_power

Check it out - good stuff!

-t

Anti Federalist
10-21-2010, 09:00 PM
nvm

Ekrub
10-21-2010, 09:01 PM
because it went from solid to leans.

Anti Federalist
10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
because it went from solid to leans.

I know, read it wrong...:(

Fox McCloud
10-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I kind of hope the GOP retakes the house and the senate...not because I think the GOP has suddenly had a change for heart, but merely because it'll lock up the entire legislative process and keep from anything horrendous (like the healthcare bill or the stimulus package) from passing.....better to have a gridlock than go hurtling down a bad road.

TCE
10-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I kind of hope the GOP retakes the house and the senate...not because I think the GOP has suddenly had a change for heart, but merely because it'll lock up the entire legislative process and keep from anything horrendous (like the healthcare bill or the stimulus package) from passing.....better to have a gridlock than go hurtling down a bad road.

The Clinton Administration saw many horrible actions even with a GOP Congress. Back then, the GOP wasn't for pre-emptive war, now they are. "Gridlock" is a myth. Both parties agree on enough that liberties can still be taken away rapidly no matter which party controls what. If anything, I am more worried about a ton of "compromise" legislation getting passed. Legislation will still be passed, but instead of just neo-liberal crap, it'll have some neo-con thrown in there, too.

Something to think about.

Fozz
10-21-2010, 10:05 PM
The Clinton Administration saw many horrible actions even with a GOP Congress. Back then, the GOP wasn't for pre-emptive war, now they are. "Gridlock" is a myth. Both parties agree on enough that liberties can still be taken away rapidly no matter which party controls what. If anything, I am more worried about a ton of "compromise" legislation getting passed. Legislation will still be passed, but instead of just neo-liberal crap, it'll have some neo-con thrown in there, too.

Our government became smaller during the course of Clinton + GOP Congress.

anaconda
10-21-2010, 11:50 PM

So did our civil liberties.

Fozz
10-21-2010, 11:53 PM
So did our civil liberties.

Bill Clinton was vile.

NewFederalist
10-22-2010, 08:10 AM
All the really toxic stuff will get passed during the lame duck session when Democrats have nothing to lose. The only way it won't happen is if the GOP win in Illinois and/or Delaware since both of those new Senators will be seated immediately.

klamath
10-22-2010, 08:35 AM

My reasons to. If the republican try and pass some shitty legislation Obama will veto it. If Obama trys to push cap n trade the republicans will refuse.

klamath
10-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Some shit will get passed but it will slow it WAY down.

tangent4ronpaul
10-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Some shit will get passed but it will slow it WAY down.

I think you are onto something here... The Feds dictate that we have to have floride in our water supply and Obama's health czar wants to put steralants in the water supply - I say the people vote to put Quaaludes in Congresses water supply! That will slow um down! :D

-t

klamath
10-22-2010, 08:49 AM
I think you are onto something here... The Feds dictate that we have to have floride in our water supply and Obama's health czar wants to put steralants in the water supply - I say the people vote to put Quaaludes in Congresses water supply! That will slow um down! :D

-t

:D

erowe1
10-22-2010, 08:49 AM

Got a source for that? I'm pretty sure it didn't.

oyarde
10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
All the really toxic stuff will get passed during the lame duck session when Democrats have nothing to lose. The only way it won't happen is if the GOP win in Illinois and/or Delaware since both of those new Senators will be seated immediately.

I am thinking Illinois is in play .

TCE
10-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I am thinking Illinois is in play .

It is, but Kirk is atrocious. I am voting Libertarian. Kirk is worse than the Democrat. He crosses over on so much that he will rank, over a six-year period, much worse than standard Obama Democrat. Kirk is a Moderate who votes for anti-liberty bills from both parties. He never met a food safety bill he didn't like, voted for Cap-and-Trade, and the list goes on.

Klamath: The heavily partisan stuff will, but be fearful of all of the stuff they agree on. I am not as optimistic about "gridlock" as most on this forum. Until there is a liberty coalition in the Senate and House that can halt any unconstitutional bill in the Senate, and cause bills to fail in the House, we will lose liberty. A loss of liberty at a slower rate is still a loss.

Fozz
10-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Got a source for that? I'm pretty sure it didn't.

Look at the 1990s.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5094410494_edb06634ef.jpg

TCE
10-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Family and Medical Leave Act.
Brady Bill.
SCHIP.
The Iraq Liberation Act.

The list goes on. We were not more free under Clinton, even with Republicans controlling Congress.