PDA

View Full Version : Why have conservatives traditionally been so against Pot?

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I remember growing up and how my conservative relatives and conservatives in general on TV used to preach that pot was the most evil thing in the world.

I believed their hype until I tried pot for the first time not until I was in college and was like "This is it?" from being totally surprised how uneventful and boring being stoned was compared to all the fear-mongering I was taught about it. Part of me wanting to try it, apart from my curiosity of wondering why people are so forbidden against something, was learning about the wonders of Hemp.

Have conservatives traditionally been so against pot because they associate it with long-haired tied-died-wearing patchouli-smelling draft-dodging Grateful Dead-listening lettuce-eating anti-American liberal-lovin dirty hippies?

low preference guy
10-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Have conservatives traditionally been so against pot because they associate it with long-haired tied-died-wearing patchouli-smelling draft-dodging Grateful Dead-listening lettuce-eating dirty anti-American hippies?

That's the most offensive part!

torchbearer
10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
well, one- its easy to say the obvious: "drugs are bad, mmkay". because for the most part- drugs are bad.
So its easy to campaign on it, people agree with the statement without much thought.

its a harder sell to say, "drugs should be legal" because then your opponent runs ads saying you want to give drugs to kids, and then the sheeple run away.

Reagan made his bones on 'just say no' and 'dare'. what parent wouldn't get behind that?
no one ever talks about the unintended consequences of prohibition.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I can't speak for all such conservatives, but it seems to me that they are interested in protecting big medicine/insurance/pharma. That is, since pot can't be patented and mass produced, the pharma corps and the FDA(and other government criminals) can't get their grubby, regulatory hands on it. Thus, they would rather keep it illegal than allow people to act in a way that benefits themselves without benefiting the regime at the same time.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2010, 04:59 PM
well, one- its easy to say the obvious: "drugs are bad, mmkay". because for the most part- drugs are bad.
So its easy to campaign on it, people agree with the statement without much thought.

its a harder sell to say, "drugs should be legal" because then your opponent runs ads saying you want to give drugs to kids, and then the sheeple run away.

Reagan made his bones on 'just say no' and 'dare'. what parent wouldn't get behind that?
no one ever talks about the unintended consequences of prohibition.

Including "legal" ones, like Xanax, ritalin, etc. ;)

oyarde
10-21-2010, 05:00 PM
That's the most offensive part!

Chuckle , I do not want any patchouli .

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 05:01 PM
@torchbearer

But that's for drugs in general. I want to know why conservatives seem to hate pot the most out of all drugs.

torchbearer
10-21-2010, 05:03 PM
@torchbearer

But that's for drugs in general. I want to know why conservatives seem to hate pot the most out of all drugs.

i don't get that vibe. i get an anti-drug for political reasons vibe.

ChaosControl
10-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Drugs suck in general.

torchbearer
10-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Including "legal" ones, like Xanax, ritalin, etc. ;)

every friend of mine that has died from drug O.D., has died from a prescribed drug. they can be very dangerous.

Kregisen
10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
I think for the most part, the majority of conservatives want everyone to life their lifestyle i.e. Christian, straight (ban gay marriage), no illegal drugs (associate with hippies and gangs and crime).....just cookie cutter people.

The reason so few of them want more freedom is because the freedom doesn't affect them. Ban marijuana, or gay marriage, and it's a good thing.....end public prayers in public schools, "You're trying to ban Christianity!!!"

(I'm a christian by the way)

torchbearer
10-21-2010, 05:07 PM
I think for the most part, the majority of conservatives want everyone to life their lifestyle i.e. Christian, straight (ban gay marriage), no illegal drugs (associate with hippies and gangs and crime).....just cookie cutter people.

The reason so few of them want more freedom is because the freedom doesn't affect them. Ban marijuana, or gay marriage, and it's a good thing.....end public prayers in public schools, "You're trying to ban Christianity!!!"

you speak truth to the hypocrisy-
everyone wants their freedom, but have no problem taking away someone else's.

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Because DuPont pays generous bribes.

It's all about nylon and market share - baaabbbeeeeyyy!!!

-t

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks conservatives have traditionally hated pot more than any other illegal drug?

torchbearer
10-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Am I the only one who thinks conservatives have traditionally hated pot more than any other illegal drug?

well, i'll keep an open mind to your point of view,
explain to me- what leads you to believe there is a bias against just pot amongst conservative?

heavenlyboy34
every friend of mine that has died from drug O.D., has died from a prescribed drug. they can be very dangerous.

Absolutely! Plus, there's the fact that we still don't know what will happen when the drugs end up in the water supply (because people urinate them out, mostly-and some people flush unused meds). The subsidization of big pharma was one of the WORST ideas ever hatched by the regime.

Jordan

You're not the only one.

I think it comes back to the stoned democratic hippie thing plus the fact that marijuana is the only drug people actively consider legalizing.

osan
10-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Have conservatives traditionally been so against pot because they associate it with long-haired tied-died-wearing patchouli-smelling draft-dodging Grateful Dead-listening lettuce-eating anti-American liberal-lovin dirty hippies?

That's one superficial reason. The deeper reason is that most are imbeciles, not unlike their liberal counterparts, in that they want "freedom" so long as people toe only their line. In other words, they want their particular flavor of pretty slavery and not actual freedom. If I had to choose between a conservative world and a liberal one, I would choose the former - but I must point out that the choice is similar to dying by boiling in oil or by being dipped in hydrofluoric acid. The result is the same and each method plenty unattractive.

I believe that we need to face the centrally important and very disheartening truth that most people have no interest in freedom, but rather in a gilt cage decorated to their liking. I am not sure such people can be brought around to a new way of thinking - their notions of "freedom" are pretty convincing to them. I suppose giving up is really not an option, but I can't figure how to get people to be brave because that is precisely what is required in order to want real freedom.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2010, 05:13 PM
That's one superficial reason. The deeper reason is that most are imbeciles, not unlike their liberal counterparts, in that they want "freedom" so long as people toe only their line. In other words, they want their particular flavor of pretty slavery and not actual freedom. If I had to choose between a conservative world and a liberal one, I would choose the former - but I must point out that the choice is similar to dying by boiling in oil or by being dipped in hydrofluoric acid. The result is the same and each method plenty unattractive.

I believe that we need to face the centrally important and very disheartening truth that most people have no interest in freedom, but rather in a guilt cage decorated to their liking. I am not such people can be brought around to a new way of thinking - their notions of "freedom" are pretty convincing to them. I suppose giving up is really not an option, but I can't figure how to get people to be brave because that is precisely what is required in order to want real freedom.

+a whole bunch

GreenLP
explain to me- what leads you to believe there is a bias against just pot amongst conservative?
On the topic of illegal drugs, I always seemed to hear that talking about pot the most and hearing them bring up hippies a lot while on the same topic. :p

Plus, don't you remember people always trying to scare people that pot was laced with PCP? Why didn't they ever say PCP was mixed in with cocaine to try to scare us away from cocaine? Seemed like they went the extra mile to scare us away from pot versus any other illegal drug.

dannno
It also makes people more passive and anti-war.

Anti Federalist
Drugs suck in general.

<raspberries>

That's cuz you haven't tried any good ones yet.

;)

Jordan
10-21-2010, 05:15 PM

I believe that we need to face the centrally important and very disheartening truth that most people have no interest in freedom, but rather in a guilt cage decorated to their liking. I am not such people can be brought around to a new way of thinking - their notions of "freedom" are pretty convincing to them. I suppose giving up is really not an option, but I can't figure how to get people to be brave because that is precisely what is required in order to want real freedom.

I'm afraid to quote this because I think it was some neocon who said it...but here goes nothing:

"Liberals only want freedom when it comes to sex and drugs"

silentshout
10-21-2010, 05:16 PM

^^^

dannno
10-21-2010, 05:17 PM
<raspberries>

That's cuz you haven't tried any good ones yet.

;)

True dat.

Travlyr
10-21-2010, 05:22 PM
"Marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." (http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2008/jan/18/marijuana_after_30_years_nebrask)

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm afraid to quote this because I think it was some neocon who said it...but here goes nothing:

"Liberals only want freedom when it comes to sex and drugs"
So that's it, conservatives are afraid people will have fun.

Fox McCloud
10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
because they have a skeptical view of civil liberties, in general.

Mark my words, one day, you'll see the GOP oppose gun rights and the Democrats cautiously supporting it.

Theocrat
10-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Christian conservatives have been against marijuana because of certain Scriptural passages which teach that our bodies are a holy temple for God to dwell in as well as maintaining a sober mind:

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." (1 Corinthians 3:17)
"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach, not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre..." (1 Timothy 3:2, 3)
"Young men, likewise, exhort to be sober minded." (Titus 2:6)
"Wherefore, gird up the loins of your mind, be sober..." (1 Peter 1:13)

There are other passages, too, that they use, but if you take the context of those passages, you can see they do not prohibit the use of substances like pot, per se. They usually are dealing with soberness as it relates to doctrinal fidelity or prohibition of an excess of a substance (as in drunkenness from wine).

Basically, the prohibition of pot stems from a poor exegetical study of what the Scriptures teach about what things a person is allowed to consume, at least for conservative Christians who argue that pot is bad.

dannno
10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Basically, the prohibition of pot stems from a poor exegetical study of what the Scriptures teach about what things a person is allowed to consume, at least for conservative Christians who argue that pot is bad.

:eek::cool:

mczerone
10-21-2010, 05:42 PM

There's a danger in making broad generalizations in groups of people. I know many "conservatives" that identify with the Republican party every time they vote, yet quietly admit they think cannabis (and usually only cannabis) should be legal.

I don't think that cannabis is the "most hated" drug for conservatives in general, but those who do place it as their "most dangerous" drug probably only do so because of its prevalence around them. There might be someone within 20 miles of them that uses other drugs, and it goes unnoticed and/or they become isolated. Cannabis use is more noticeable because its more accepted by some - have you ever noticed a group of people going outside to the parking lot at a wedding reception together for about 20 minutes? These conservatives have too - and they want to make the biggest stink about it so that they can stop witnessing it.

A conservative witnessing the use of a drug - an illegal drug! - brings on great internal discomfort. They are the ideology of "a law is the law" and of the pietist reasoning that they will go to hell if they don't prevent others from sinning. When illegal behavior is outside their sphere, they don't care. But when someone breaks a law in front of them, they must condemn the behavior loudly to distance themselves from it, and they must intervene as much as possible to make sure the behavior stops.

But as I said before, many conservatives don't care about what a person does with themselves, with drugs or sex or rock and roll. The only reason the Republican Party cares about those issues is because of the Christian Coalition voting bloc - and they hardly represent all Christians or conservatives.

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 06:18 PM
There's a danger in making broad generalizations in groups of people. I know many "conservatives" that identify with the Republican party every time they vote, yet quietly admit they think cannabis (and usually only cannabis) should be legal.

I don't think that cannabis is the "most hated" drug for conservatives in general, but those who do place it as their "most dangerous" drug probably only do so because of its prevalence around them. There might be someone within 20 miles of them that uses other drugs, and it goes unnoticed and/or they become isolated. Cannabis use is more noticeable because its more accepted by some - have you ever noticed a group of people going outside to the parking lot at a wedding reception together for about 20 minutes? These conservatives have too - and they want to make the biggest stink about it so that they can stop witnessing it.

A conservative witnessing the use of a drug - an illegal drug! - brings on great internal discomfort. They are the ideology of "a law is the law" and of the pietist reasoning that they will go to hell if they don't prevent others from sinning. When illegal behavior is outside their sphere, they don't care. But when someone breaks a law in front of them, they must condemn the behavior loudly to distance themselves from it, and they must intervene as much as possible to make sure the behavior stops.

But as I said before, many conservatives don't care about what a person does with themselves, with drugs or sex or rock and roll. The only reason the Republican Party cares about those issues is because of the Christian Coalition voting bloc - and they hardly represent all Christians or conservatives.
I think you are spot on. Good post!

idirtify
10-21-2010, 06:54 PM
@torchbearer

It seems you want a logical explanation for a prejudice, for which the definition is “discrimination without good reason”. So your answers are only gonna be the same ones that explain any deep-rooted prejudice.

idirtify
10-21-2010, 06:57 PM

I would say they hate LSD more.

Indy Vidual
10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
+1
Why don't more people here know this?

Because DuPont pays generous bribes.

It's all about nylon and market share - baaabbbeeeeyyy!!!

-t

Nylon + many other products too

Cannabis activist Jack Herer has researched DuPont and in his 1985 book The Emperor Wears No Clothes, Herer concluded DuPont played a large role in the criminalization of marijuana cannabis. In 1938, DuPont patented the processes for creating plastics from coal and oil and a new process for creating paper from wood pulp. If hemp had been largely exploited, Herer believes it would have likely been used to make paper and plastic (nylon), and may have hurt DuPont's profits...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_history_of_cannabis_in_the_United_States#DuP ont.2C_William_Randolph_Hearst.2C_and_hemp

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I would say they hate LSD more.
Another "hippie" drug!

Indy Vidual
10-21-2010, 07:13 PM
LSD used to be used successfully...

LSD used to treat terminally ill patients in clinical trials (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1043943/LSD-used-treat-terminally-ill-patients-clinical-trials.html)

History of LSD Therapy (http://www.psychedelic-library.org/grofhist.htm)

Another "hippie" drug!

I thought LSD was an abused drug in that it was never meant for a person to drop and then go walking down the street. ~Peter Fonda

I took a lot of LSD over many years. ~Noel Redding

I volunteered for an LSD session. It was such a powerful opening of my own unconscious that I became more interested in psychedelics than in psychoanalysis. ~Stanislav Grof

I've tried everything. I can say to you with confidence, I know a fair amount about LSD. I've never been a social user of any of these things, but my curiosity has carried me into a lot of interesting areas. ~Dan Rather

LSD was designed for you to look inside yourself. Quite a liberating experience if you can pull it off. ~Peter Fonda

zade
10-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Does anyone feel that at least partly the motivation could be that people who use marijuana or drugs might be more likely to be free thinkers or dissidents, and so the government profits from turning them into criminals and removing them from society? Of course that's a generalization, but I've heard this put forward

idirtify
10-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Another "hippie" drug!

Like with any prejudice, it’s fear; fear of the unknown. Even though these drugs have the potential to intensify pleasure, unknown pleasure is more feared than pain. At least pain is familiar. As with any prejudice, it’s technically a mental illness. And any mental illness suffered by a whole society translates into tyranny against those who are saner. The sad reality is that our species has known pain quite well (see “natural selection”), but pleasure not so well; especially exotic foreign pleasures. And as the cycle of violence predicts, pain will become the preference and happiness the fear (hatred/prejudice). Look at civilization like a child who was traumatized and is expected to act like a healthy adult; it ain’t gonna happen. The cycle virtually dictates that each generation will carry on and re-inflict the pain that it suffered. It’s really just an extension of your basic psychology of domestic violence. And America has a little more severe case, since immigrants who were more apt to have suffered more childhood trauma mostly populated it.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, that’s my armchair analysis.

idirtify
10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Does anyone feel that at least partly the motivation could be that people who use marijuana or drugs might be more likely to be free thinkers or dissidents, and so the government profits from turning them into criminals and removing them from society? Of course that's a generalization, but I've heard this put forward

Yeah, it’s technically part of the disorder. Most victims of childhood trauma dislike individuals who appear “too happy / intelligent / spontaneous / etc”. In the case of hallucinogens, the jealously is compounded by the fear of the unknown experience.

“I hate that person because he is too happy, and I am afraid to experience the source of his happiness; but since I cannot reveal my fear, I will overcompensate by expressing MORE hatred.”

Of course this also translates to the group, in politics & government – and becomes…well, what we have today: a fucking nightmare.

JustinTime
10-21-2010, 07:53 PM
I can't speak for all such conservatives, but it seems to me that they are interested in protecting big medicine/insurance/pharma. That is, since pot can't be patented and mass produced, the pharma corps and the FDA(and other government criminals) can't get their grubby, regulatory hands on it. Thus, they would rather keep it illegal than allow people to act in a way that benefits themselves without benefiting the regime at the same time.

Yep, crony capitalism. Heavy on the cronyism, light on the capitalism.

Brett85
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't have a high opinion of pot myself and would never use it, but I don't care what other people do. The government shouldn't have the right to control what people put into their own bodies.

amy31416
10-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't have a high opinion of pot myself and would never use it, but I don't care what other people do. The government shouldn't have the right to control what people put into their own bodies.

Never say never. My mother was very conservative and never did any (non-pharma) drugs, but would have tried it if it helped her get through chemo.

oyarde
10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Never say never. My mother was very conservative and never did any (non-pharma) drugs, but would have tried it if it helped her get through chemo.

I am in my 40's and have not smoked since I was 20 . If I was going through chemo I would pick up a quarter ounce before I even went to treatment .

amy31416
10-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I am in my 40's and have not smoked since I was 20 . If I was going through chemo I would pick up a quarter ounce before I even went to treatment .

Same here. I've tried the stuff, thought it was ehh, and am not motivated to smoke it, legal or otherwise, but if I had to go through chemo--it's a no-brainer.

Sola_Fide
10-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Why have conservatives been against pot?

Because conservatives are Statists who don't understand Liberty, just like liberals.

idirtify
10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Same here. I've tried the stuff, thought it was ehh, and am not motivated to smoke it, legal or otherwise, but if I had to go through chemo--it's a no-brainer.

Like any drug, pot is REALLY good for certain things and not good for lots of things. The hypocrisy reveals itself when you look at the amount and number and kind of drugs taken by the people who are generally negative about pot, and then you consider its toxicity level (virtually nil). Bottom line: if pot keeps you off ANY other drug, health wise you are going to be miles ahead.

amy31416
10-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Like any drug, pot is REALLY good for certain things and not good for lots of things. The hypocrisy reveals itself when you look at the amount and number and kind of drugs taken by the people who are generally negative about pot, and then you consider its toxicity level (virtually nil). Bottom line: if pot keeps you off ANY other drug, health wise you are going to be miles ahead.

Yes indeed. And unlike so many pharmaceuticals, it does not destroy your liver and kidneys. I think my mother was on about 13 different meds, and it was quite destructive.

You're also right on it not being good for some things, some people and in all circumstances, as some would like us to believe. Pot, apple cider vinegar and vitamin C will not save you from all of life's ills.

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't have a high opinion of pot myself and would never use it
Is that because it's "illegal"? Have you ever gotten drunk off alcohol?

johngr
10-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Partly engineered public opinion, courtesy of Rockefeller, Dupont and Hearst. Even the ones who conclude logically that the world would be better if it were leagle know that their base is brainwashed, nonetheless (though if honest they probably wouldn't put it that way). Partly cultural. It wasn't really an issue until the '60s hippie generation (another cultural change/divide manufactured out of whole cloth).

tangent4ronpaul
10-22-2010, 07:05 AM
You're also right on it not being good for some things, some people and in all circumstances, as some would like us to believe. Pot, apple cider vinegar and vitamin C will not save you from all of life's ills.

Yeah, but colloidal silver will save you from anything! j/k!!!!

Though not eating processed foods just might...

-t

LibertyEagle
10-22-2010, 07:35 AM

I think for the most part, you're right. That's surely what it has become over time. But, I think a lot of it started because they were scared. When pot really started being used a lot by kids, there was so much bad information put out there that parents were told it was akin to taking acid. Remember Reefer Madness? If you haven't seen it, you should. lol. Parents were really scared for their children. I don't recall them really wanting to get the people smoking pot; it was more the "pushers", as they were called. They were depicted as shady, evil people who showed up at schools to sell to your children and I guess that was kinda true in some places with harder drugs.

Some also, were scared about the agenda that was being pushed with drugs being so prevalent all of a sudden and so many kids taking them. Yes, agenda. And I think some of that is true, actually. I mean, think about it. Our government is probably one of the biggest drug runners that exist. Think about the number of times that they've been shown to be drug running. And those are only the ones that we know about. Beyond money, there were probably more than a few reasons why some less than wonderful people would have benefited from getting American kids really interested in drugs.

I'm sure you've heard about Gloria Steinem and the role she played in the whole women's rights movement. Now, we know she was with the CIA. Why do you think the CIA might have had an interest in pushing the whole women's rights movement?

How about the environmental movement? I mean, who doesn't care at all about the environment? We do, but we think property owners do a much better job of taking care of their own property, than government could ever do. But, just like with the women's rights movement, there are a whole lot of people who have been convinced otherwise and don't understand their recourse if a big 'ol corporation was just polluting like ever lovin' heck, for example. So, they look to big government to take care of it instead.

But, who really started the big environmental movement? It wasn't just people like you and me. There was an agenda here too. If you trace the money, you'll find some interesting Foundations at the root.

I always ask myself who has what to gain. I think it's pretty evident now, how the war on drugs and the environmental movement have been used to convince so many to give up more liberty. It's easy to see now. But, it probably wasn't so easy on at least drugs, because they were scared for their children, back when drugs first started to become a big issue.

It's really the same 'ol thing as the War on Terror, Global Warming and so many others. Scare the crap out of people and lead them over to a supposed "solution" and nevermind that you are handing more of your liberty over to the same people who orchestrated the emergency.

Working Poor
10-22-2010, 07:36 AM
"Young men, likewise, exhort to be sober minded." (Titus 2:6)

So since I am not a man and I am not young does that mean it is okay if I get stoned?

RedStripe
10-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Because conservatives, from my experience, don't like to think for themselves.

LibertyEagle
10-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Because conservatives are Statists who don't understand Liberty, just like liberals.

You sure paint with a broad brush. Especially considering that the Libertarian party used to be largely composed of disgruntled Christian CONSERVATIVES who had left the Republican Party.

LibertyEagle
10-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Partly engineered public opinion, courtesy of Rockefeller, Dupont and Hearst. Even the ones who conclude logically that the world would be better if it were leagle know that their base is brainwashed, nonetheless (though if honest they probably wouldn't put it that way). Partly cultural. It wasn't really an issue until the '60s hippie generation (another cultural change/divide manufactured out of whole cloth).

Yup.

RM918
10-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Probably because they figure if you don't ban something, you'll get more of it when the opposite is true.

Jaykzo
10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I was very recently arrested and charged with 3 pot related felonies, all of which were horribly blown out of proportion or just flat out false. What I learned from being through the whole experience is that my state, Illinois, needs to arrest people like me to keep its citizenry working.

By getting arrested, I gave so many people a job to do that they otherwise wouldn't have. If we only arrested the murders, rapists, thieves, and serious offenders in my state, then half the jobs I encountered wouldn't exist because there would be no need for them. So they arrest everyone they can to create these jobs.

A significant portion of America's work force lies in the prison/law enforcement sector. If we stop arresting and incarcerating non-violent drug offenders, then most of those jobs will disappear. It's a sad reality, but we do incarcerate more of our citizens than any other advanced nation.

I also learned that the cops can flat out lie and put your face in the newspaper and publicly humiliate you without any evidence to back them up. I'm a good citizen- I volunteer at public schools to help their music programs, I volunteer my time at a local non-profit organization, I've never stolen anything or driven drunk or beat anyone up. Yet my state defines me as a felon.

I'm starting to really dislike this country.

idirtify
10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
I was very recently arrested and charged with 3 pot related felonies, all of which were horribly blown out of proportion or just flat out false. What I learned from being through the whole experience is that my state, Illinois, needs to arrest people like me to keep its citizenry working.

By getting arrested, I gave so many people a job to do that they otherwise wouldn't have. If we only arrested the murders, rapists, thieves, and serious offenders in my state, then half the jobs I encountered wouldn't exist because there would be no need for them. So they arrest everyone they can to create these jobs.

A significant portion of America's work force lies in the prison/law enforcement sector. If we stop arresting and incarcerating non-violent drug offenders, then most of those jobs will disappear. It's a sad reality, but we do incarcerate more of our citizens than any other advanced nation.

I also learned that the cops can flat out lie and put your face in the newspaper and publicly humiliate you without any evidence to back them up. I'm a good citizen- I volunteer at public schools to help their music programs, I volunteer my time at a local non-profit organization, I've never stolen anything or driven drunk or beat anyone up. Yet my state defines me as a felon.

Great points. I sympathize with your story. Good luck getting though it. Hopefully you’ll find lots of support here. All I can say from experience is that the only good thing to come from state victimization is a priceless first-hand education. Exploit it. My higher learning has been going on for nine years now. I’m barely the person I was before.

Love the country. Dislike the government.

johngr
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Yup.

Interesting Tom Tancredo's position on the issue, though. I think for his support base, boiled down, immigration trumps drugs laws.

jclay2
10-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Thats really what it is all about, money! One fourth of the world's prison population yet only 1/20th of the worlds population.

youngbuck
10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Cannabis contributes more to lung cancer than cigarettes, makes it more likely to crash your car and have premarital sex than alcohol, and even increases violence (especially assassinations) and the crime rate in general. Coupling the aforementioned with the proven link between cannabis and the exponential explosion in severe psychosis - the following is clear: the government should strictly regulate the use, possession, sale, and production of genus cannabis.

Jaykzo
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Great points. I sympathize with your story. Good luck getting though it. Hopefully you’ll find lots of support here. All I can say from experience is that the only good thing to come from state victimization is a priceless first-hand education. Exploit it. My higher learning has been going on for nine years now. I’m barely the person I was before.

Love the country. Dislike the government.

Thank you. I must say that spending a night in a county jail was one of the most enlightening experiences I've had. I would have never fully realized how redundant and inefficient our legal system is unless I was subjected to it first-hand.

I do question though- if my country consistently elects a government that suppresses my freedom, how much longer should I continue to try to "love my country"?

Kregisen
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Cannabis contributes more to lung cancer than cigarettes, makes it more likely to crash your car and have premarital sex than alcohol, and even increases violence (especially assassinations) and the crime rate in general. Coupling the aforementioned with the proven link between cannabis and the exponential explosion in severe psychosis - the following is clear: the government should strictly regulate the use, possession, sale, and production of genus cannabis.

"especially assassinations" lmao

Jaykzo
10-22-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but just to be safe-

THC Kills Brain Cancer Cells- http://www.worldhealth.net/news/thc_initiates_brain_cancer_cells_to_dest/

Pot Smoking not linked to lung cancer- http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer

The rest of what you posted is truly laughable.

Kregisen
10-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but just to be safe-

THC Kills Brain Cancer Cells- http://www.worldhealth.net/news/thc_initiates_brain_cancer_cells_to_dest/

Pot Smoking not linked to lung cancer- http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer

The rest of what you posted is truly laughable.

It was a joke buddy.

Jaykzo
10-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I hoped so :)

pcosmar
10-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Why have conservatives traditionally been so against Pot?

Propaganda
Ignorance
Stupidity

:(

Acala
10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
They are jealous because they weren't invited to the party.

idirtify
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
It was a joke buddy.

Yeah it was a joke, but how was it intended?

oyarde
10-22-2010, 06:28 PM

I am try to picture a really high assassin , coming up blank .

oyarde
10-22-2010, 06:29 PM
They are jealous because they weren't invited to the party.

Good idea , invite everybody .