PDA

View Full Version : Armored surveillance truck to be parked in "bad" neighborhoods.

Anti Federalist
10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
'Exterminator' armored truck will watch Illinois neighborhoods

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_1a7a1334-7e9a-5b0e-832e-a7cbf0a23c62.html

BELLEVILLE • Creative law enforcement isn't new to St. Clair County Sheriff Mearl Justus.

Last year, the dean of the region's chief cops sponsored a "haunted crack house" that used an old grange hall to depict the life of a young drug addict.

Before that, Justus publicized a "drug house of the week," aimed at shaming dealers into leaving town.

On Tuesday, his deputies lifted a plastic tarp to unveil his newest idea: an armored truck to park in problem neighborhoods as a vandal-proof platform to transmit live pictures.

"I thought about a lot of names ... I thought 'The Cockroach' would've probably been appropriate, but we settled on 'The Exterminator,'" Justus told reporters.

The donated and rebuilt armored truck, once used to carry cash, is fitted with cameras, digital recorders and gear to stream live video. Deputies will park it in front of the "dwellings of troublemakers" — for days at a time, if necessary — to reduce nuisance crimes.

oyarde
10-21-2010, 01:06 PM
OK , who determines if I am a " troublemaker" ? Say I have never been arrested , do I get a free pass as a good citizen ? Or , say I have been , am I now a trouble maker ?

jkr
10-21-2010, 04:10 PM
what would they have done with bOb dylan?
suspicious person cold pass for "troublemaker"

where do these people come from?

HOLLYWOOD
10-21-2010, 04:14 PM
OK , who determines if I am a " troublemaker" ? Say I have never been arrested , do I get a free pass as a good citizen ? Or , say I have been , am I now a trouble maker ?

AND THAT's... Ladies and Gentlemen, is the Slippery Slop to Tyranny...

Next we need them in safe neighborhoods to keep them safe or safer.

Look for BackscatterZ units next across Americana.

awake
10-21-2010, 04:37 PM
I remember a time when ice cream trucks visited the neighborhood, much to the delight of all the children, now it will be I screen trucks, much to the delight of the government employed pedophiles in the back.

amonasro
10-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Chicago has been battling escalating crime for a few years now. Of course, the underlying problem is the massive welfare state, but it shows you that they are getting creative (or desperate) amid huge budget problems. I sincerely doubt these trucks will be seen in middle class or wealthy neighborhoods.

Seriously, the bad Chicago neighborhoods are like demilitarized zones. Check out Cabrini Green if you want a story about a social engineering problem gone massively wrong. At its worst, cops didn't want to even go near the project because they got shot at from highrise windows. And Chicago cops are tough... the mere fact that they're resorting to these tactics is not a good sign for the future. Ugh.

phill4paul
10-21-2010, 05:10 PM
On Tuesday, his deputies lifted a plastic tarp to unveil his newest idea: an armored truck to park in problem neighborhoods as a vandal-proof platform to transmit live pictures.

Seems like they provided the answer to blocking the lenses.

Liberty Rebellion
10-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Chicago has been battling escalating crime for a few years now. Of course, the underlying problem is the massive welfare state, but it shows you that they are getting creative (or desperate) amid huge budget problems. I sincerely doubt these trucks will be seen in middle class or wealthy neighborhoods.

Seriously, the bad Chicago neighborhoods are like demilitarized zones. Check out Cabrini Green if you want a story about a social engineering problem gone massively wrong. At its worst, cops didn't want to even go near the project because they got shot at from highrise windows. And Chicago cops are tough... the mere fact that they're resorting to these tactics is not a good sign for the future. Ugh.

Just an FYI, St. Clair County is part of the St. Louis Metropolitan area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Clair_County,_Illinois

GreenLP
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I hope the community starts tagging these armored vehicles. :D