PDA

View Full Version : AP Story: Candidate tries for ultimate upset — Nancy Pelosi

Brian4Liberty
10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
A new AP story. Available on the major SF Media websites:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/congress/candidate-tries-for-ultimate-upset-x2014-nancy-pelosi-105454433.html

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/10/21/politics/p110017D57.DTL

Candidate tries for ultimate upset — Nancy Pelosi
By: ROBIN HINDERY
Associated Press
10/21/10 11:10 AM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO — It's a popular refrain among Republicans throughout the country this year: A vote for me is a vote to fire Nancy Pelosi.

But only one candidate means it literally.
Dennis has tapped into the anti-Pelosi anger to raise nearly $2 million. He also made national headlines last month with a campy online ad featuring a Pelosi look-alike as the Wicked Witch of the West from "The Wizard of Oz." In the spot, Dennis ultimately defeats Pelosi by dousing her with water from a bucket labeled "Freedom."
He also is staunchly anti-war, supports legalizing marijuana and opposes Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage — positions he hopes will help him with independent voters.

He says the reaction he receives most often on the campaign trail is surprise.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/congress/candidate-tries-for-ultimate-upset-x2014-nancy-pelosi-105454433.html

Rothbardian Girl
10-21-2010, 12:51 PM
I love this guy. Finally someone who shares my view on foreign policy. It would be AMAZING if he somehow upset Pelosi, but I'm not going to be idealistic.

I hope this election will sort of serve as a name-recognition thing though. Hopefully he will be elected someday, even if it's not this year.

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/10/poll_dems_abandoning_pelosi_do.php

Politics
Poll: Dems Abandoning Pelosi. Does Nancy-Challenger John Dennis Have a Chance?

John Dennis may live in Pacific Heights, but his similarities to fellow posh neighborhood resident Nancy Pelosi end there. The Republican challenger to most-powerful San Franciscan Pelosi supports Proposition 19, wants a repeal of the Defense of Marriage act, and is even OK with gays serving in the military.

That puts him more in step with most San Franciscans (who admittedly haven't seen much of Nancy Pelosi lately). But does that mean he stands a chance in hell of unseating the Speaker of the House of Representatives from her Eighth District perch? According to a poll, mathematically... no.

But he's getting there.

An internal poll conducted over the summertime revealed that roughly 35 percent of local Democrats and Independents were fed up with Pelosi's leadership. That led SF Weekly to do some math.

Pelsoi was re-elected last year with 220,000 votes, or 71 percent of the vote (next runner-up Cindy Sheehan received 46,000 votes, or 16 percent). If 35 percent of Democrats who supported Pelosi did abandon her and vote for Dennis, that'd be another 75,000 votes. So if they all voted for Dennis, that'd be 121,000 votes to Pelosi's 150,000.

Keep in mind that former Board of Supervisors president Matt Gonzalez endorsed John Dennis, as did Sheehan. That's getting there... but even all this is a stretch. A huge stretch, according to political analyst David Latterman.

"Dennis has no chance," he told SF Weekly. "He'll get more votes than Sheehan, but that's it."

So the dream is just a dream for now. But who knows what November will hold? Yes: a Pelosi reelection, probably.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/assets_c/2010/10/john-dennis-anti-pelosi-ad-cropped-proto-custom_2-thumb-200x150.jpg

-t

HOLLYWOOD
10-21-2010, 04:31 PM
John Dennis should be wearing a Tie-Dye shirt and hanging out in SF pushing Freedoms and Liberties.

libertarian4321
10-21-2010, 04:32 PM
In before libertarian4321...

Thrashertm
10-21-2010, 04:34 PM
i'd love to see a recent poll.

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2010, 04:35 PM
YouTube - Wicked Witch of the West, Pelosi.flv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCMpFslZIYk)

Michigan11
10-21-2010, 04:35 PM
If we could get John Dennis a blimp to just sit right over that city til election dropping propoganda we could win this!

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2010, 04:47 PM
e-mail from Dennis:

(btw: there have only been one or two polls done of this race and they are months old - all the polling organizations assume Pelosi can't be beaten)

Dennis Within Striking Distance of Pelosi

Our most recent research shows that we are capitalizing on strong grassroots support from progressives, moderates and independents along with general disapproval of Pelosi as the CA-8 Representative.

Last week, former Board of Supervisors President Matt Gonzalez endorsed our campaign and former congressional antiwar candidate, Cindy Sheehan wrote a letter criticizing Nancy Pelosi’s inadequate representation of the district. With this support, we are winning votes from Democrats and Independents and what we are doing is really working!

Because of your financial support we have been able to achieve the following in just the last week alone:

We have passed out over 15,000 push cards, hung over 25,000 door hangers, made over 50,000 phone calls, mailed 150,000 residents, and received 300,000 views on our YouTube videos. The media is taking notice; In this same week we have been featured on DrudgeReport.com, HuffingtonPost.com, SFGate.com, in print in the San Francisco Chronicle, and over the air waves on multiple nationally syndicated talk radio shows.

Internal polling shows that we are within striking distance of Nancy Pelosi and if we continue our current momentum, we can win.

To keep the campaign operating at such a high level we need your continued financial support.

Your contribution of $20, $50, $125, $500, $1,000 or whatever you can afford will be used to to keep up the momentum and win votes this November.

Hold Pelosi Accountable

Nancy Pelosi is so reviled that even her own party is turning against her. “The Daily Caller” has reported that over a dozen Congressional Democrats want to fire Pelosi even if they keep their majority and she is still in office after November.

She has led the charge for higher taxes, bailouts, massive debt, never ending wars, privacy violations and torture. It is time someone held her accountable! I’m just the person to do this.

I have been taking the fight to Nancy Pelosi for over a year now. The more we teach people about her voting record, the more they decide they want to support my candidacy.

Many of you have been with me since the beginning, and I not only consider us partners in this fight, I consider you my friends.

I’m asking you to contribute whatever you can to our campaign so that we can purchase as much media as possible to educate the voters of Pelosi’s lies and voting record.

There are just 11 days until the election, we have made huge strides but there is still a lot of work left.

Will you help? Your contribution of $100 or whatever you can afford will be used to hold Pelosi accountable. Click here to contribute today.

Thanks again for your dedication to our shared cause.

In Liberty,

[IMG] John Dennis Signature

John Dennis

Our mailing address is:

John Dennis for Congress
1592 Union Street, San Francisco, CA 94123
(415) 729-5846

Donate here:

http://www.johndennis2010.com/contribute/?utm_source=pol-c-striking

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Donation challenge!

I just donated $20, will 3 ppl match me?

If I get 6 matchers, I'll donate another $20!

He's trying to raise 2.5 Million and he's close - still needs in the 300,000 range. Lets get his ad blitz out there and maybe, just maybe de-thrown Pelosi!!!!

You just made a payment of
$20.00

Paid to
John Dennis for Congress
415-673-9800

Your transaction ID for this payment is: 5V643298F58015303.

-t

dannno
10-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Does Pelosi even run ads in the district or does she just assume she will win :confused:

Brian4Liberty
10-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Nancy Pelosi has never won in a year when the Giants went to the World Series! Woohoo!!!

(except for 2002) So if the Giants win, Dennis wins...

RonPaulCult
10-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Does Pelosi even run ads in the district or does she just assume she will win :confused:

No she does not run ads or run anything close to a campaign. This is awesome because we completely control the conversation.

We had 15 people today at campaign headquarters phonebanking all day today along with dozens throughout the country. We made 3000 phone calls in one day (it may only take 80,000 votes to win).

We had 20 other volunteers walking the hills of San Francisco in the RAIN today who dumped about 8000 pieces of literature into the hands of voters. We've been doing this for weeks. We've handed out about 50 to 60 thousand pieces this month alone).

John has been mailing every likely voter in the city several times over and will continue to do so between now and the election. He's on the radio and we're getting tons of local and nation press.

We just released this ad tonight:

YouTube - A Few Good Debts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_8SCpuAwO4&feature=player_embedded)

Exciting times!

Brian4Liberty
10-23-2010, 10:22 PM
We just released this ad tonight

Lol! Good one.

Indy Vidual
10-23-2010, 11:11 PM
YouTube - Wicked Witch of the West, Pelosi.flv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCMpFslZIYk)

great ad :D

LibertyEagle
10-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I LOVE that wicked witch ad. How funny!!!