PDA

View Full Version : Now is Our Chance to Get Congress to Strip NPR of Government Funding

Dan Chisholm
10-21-2010, 10:10 AM
We should all "like" the face book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-NPR-for-Their-Unjust-Firing-of-Juan-Williams/160464413984353

There is some back-story there, but basically National Public Radio fired Juan Williams without even giving him a chance to explain for simply being honest and explaining how he felt. Our taxpayer money should not be going to places that suppress free speech.

specsaregood
10-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd like to know the backstory, how do we know that is why he was fired?

brandon
10-21-2010, 10:46 AM
He was fired for saying he is scared of muslims on O'reillys show.

specsaregood
10-21-2010, 10:49 AM
He was fired for saying he is scared of muslims on O'reillys show.

Yeah, maybe. I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe they have wanted to fire him for awhile and he just provided them a reason.

Stary Hickory
10-21-2010, 10:54 AM
So he said he was scared of Muslims big freaking deal. If you said you were scared of Christians people would care less. What a load of krap.

Fozz
10-21-2010, 11:01 AM
If Rick Sanchez and Helen Thomas were fired, then it is totally fair that Juan Williams is also booted.

Vessol
10-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Can't say I've ever liked NPR. Beyond their crappy programming, their voices are just grating and so robotic.

KCIndy
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Can't say I've ever liked NPR. Beyond their crappy programming, their voices are just grating and so robotic.

I'm stuck in a vehicle for most of the day, so I listen to a lot of radio. NPR does occasionally have some interesting programming, but there's no doubt the entire thing is hard-left liberal.

I would happily vote to exterminate government funding for them.

KCIndy
10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, maybe. I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe they have wanted to fire him for awhile and he just provided them a reason.

I'm guessing they've been pissed at him for a long time for being willing to work for Fox. To them, that's not just crossing the aisle, it's akin to treason to their way of thinking.

So much for supporting free speech, huh?

Dr.3D
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I've never had any respect for NPR. I used to work at a radio station and had to run their networked broadcast. Nearly every one of those programs were so biased against liberty, I nearly puked.

ravedown
10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
i thought i read somewhere NPR only receives 12-13% of their funding from the government..the rest is made up from sponsorships and donations. I imagine Juan being the easy going liberal-lite/Fox token Dem, was probably pissing off the hard lefty's who from everything i see -is in crisis mode, blindly firing in every direction. i personally have liberal friends that have turned very nasty over the last few months, flat out rejecting opposing views as "fucking stupid/racists/homophobic etc. there's a panic out there- Jaun is an innocent casualty.

Dr.3D
10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Government funded media is never a good thing. It just leads to propaganda.

Zatch
10-21-2010, 01:48 PM
If Rick Sanchez and Helen Thomas were fired, then it is totally fair that Juan Williams is also booted.

CNN and Hearst Corp. don't get subsidies though...NPR does.

acptulsa
10-21-2010, 01:51 PM
i thought i read somewhere NPR only receives 12-13% of their funding from the government..the rest is made up from sponsorships and donations...

...from some of the most frightening foundations in the nation.

No, National Rubric Playdough doesn't need any help from my taxes. They've been putty in the hands of power for a couple of decades now. Let the money which controls them finance them without further assistance.

oyarde
10-21-2010, 01:54 PM
So he said he was scared of Muslims big freaking deal. If you said you were scared of Christians people would care less. What a load of krap.

Correct .

oyarde
10-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm stuck in a vehicle for most of the day, so I listen to a lot of radio. NPR does occasionally have some interesting programming, but there's no doubt the entire thing is hard-left liberal.

I would happily vote to exterminate government funding for them.

I , also would happily strip them of tax monies.

oyarde
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
CNN and Hearst Corp. don't get subsidies though...NPR does.

Correct .

oyarde
10-21-2010, 01:57 PM
i thought i read somewhere NPR only receives 12-13% of their funding from the government..the rest is made up from sponsorships and donations. I imagine Juan being the easy going liberal-lite/Fox token Dem, was probably pissing off the hard lefty's who from everything i see -is in crisis mode, blindly firing in every direction. i personally have liberal friends that have turned very nasty over the last few months, flat out rejecting opposing views as "fucking stupid/racists/homophobic etc. there's a panic out there- Jaun is an innocent casualty.

Quite possible . Jaun is probably the least likely person to offend anyone .

acptulsa
10-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Quite possible . Jaun is probably the least likely person to offend anyone .

Yeah. And I'm lost about what there is that's offensive about saying, 'The terrorists succeeded in terrorizing me.' I mean, it isn't anything to be proud of or anything, but that's what it amounted to.

I say the more people that say it, the more moderate muslims will get pissed enough at the radicals to do something about them in self defense.

Kludge
10-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm not interested in working toward stripping them of funding. It's a relatively insignificant amount and I generally end up listening to NPR because I dislike everything else on the radio.

I can't find a proper source, but most the Google results suggest that NPR receives only 16% of its funding from federal sources.

Not saying NPR's gov't funding is justified, but it's not a concern for me relative to all else the gov't is doing. This is a distraction.

oyarde
10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm not interested in working toward stripping them of funding. It's a relatively insignificant amount and I generally end up listening to NPR because I dislike everything else on the radio.

I can't find a proper source, but most the Google results suggest that NPR receives only 16% of its funding from federal sources.

Not saying NPR's gov't funding is justified, but it's not a concern for me relative to all else the gov't is doing. This is a distraction.

It is in the teens , whichever number it is , it is that much too much .

acptulsa
10-21-2010, 02:08 PM

80% of the hot button issues on this forum are a distraction. Fire departments? What has that to do with the federal government? Social Security? With two and three bureaus doing the same job job after job, and demonstrably non-vital turkeys like Education and Amtrak out there, what libertarian regime would start with the tough stuff?

Kludge
10-21-2010, 02:13 PM
It is in the teens , whichever number it is , it is that much too much .

Sure, but so what? Going off NPR's 2009 audited financial statement (http://www.npr.org/about/aboutnpr/statements/fy2009/2009_LA_NPR_Cons.pdf), they're probably receiving about a million and a half dollars from the government. That's an irrelevant number considering federal budget deficits over a trillion dollars per year.

Found a proper source on funding, btw (it's ~15.9%): http://www.npr.org/about/aboutnpr/publicradiofinances.html

Kludge
10-21-2010, 02:16 PM
80% of the hot button issues on this forum are a distraction. Fire departments? What has that to do with the federal government? Social Security? With two and three bureaus doing the same job job after job, and demonstrably non-vital turkeys like Education and Amtrak out there, what libertarian regime would start with the tough stuff?

Amtrak costs taxpayers nearly two billion dollars per year, and I'm sure fire departments and public education accounts for much, much more than that.

Again, NPR takes just about a million and a half million per year in gov't funding. There's no practical point in making an issue of NPR's public funding when there are so many - much greater - problems with gov't.

Omphfullas Zamboni
10-21-2010, 03:14 PM

Thank you. If fashion sense were the voice of reason, you would be very well-dressed.

furface
10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
It's a good idea to try to get NPR stripped of funding. It's also a good idea to bring up the issue of "political correctness." The Fox News types are asking for it, well I think they should get it. For starters the people who attacked on 9/11 were more justified in their actions than we are with our military troops all over the world creating havoc. They want to get rid of politically incorrect topics? I say give it to them.

aravoth
10-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Who cares if Juan Williams was fired?

The problem here is a that there is a News Organization in existence that receives money from the government to fund it operation. Thats just stupid as hell.

I don't care of they only get 20 bucks a month they shouldn't get shit.

Depressed Liberator
10-21-2010, 06:02 PM

Why are you so bigoted? I always see you try to take a hit against Muslims whenever the opportunity arises. Same with FrankRep.

amy31416
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Why are you so bigoted? I always see you try to take a hit against Muslims whenever the opportunity arises. Same with FrankRep.

I consistently defend Muslims, and I feel pangs of anxiety when there are Muslims on the same plane with me.

Of course, I feel the same way when the last open seat is next to me and a really fat dude gets on too.

Political correctness has gone too far in this case, but yeah--it's just a stupid distraction.

rprprs
10-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm guessing they've been pissed at him for a long time for being willing to work for Fox. To them, that's not just crossing the aisle, it's akin to treason to their way of thinking.

So much for supporting free speech, huh?

Juan was just on with O'Reilly and this is exactly the point he made. Juan seemed genuinely upset about the whole affair. O'Reilly's attack on NPR was scathing... to put it mildly.

JustinTime
10-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I think it was a silly thing to say, but no matter. The important thing is that every opprotunity be taken to destroy this useless government branch.

JustinTime
10-21-2010, 07:50 PM

I thought only Stephen Hawking worked for NPR.

BlackTerrel
10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
The RPF reaction to this VS Sanchez or Dr. Laura firing is amusing.