PDA

View Full Version : Project Halloween - Planning: Door to door? Pass out flyers with candy?

RyanRSheets
10-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Hmmm... Halloween is actually an interesting idea. Imagine how easy it would be to do door-to-doors with so many people outside?

JoshLowry
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Hmmm... Halloween is actually an interesting idea. Imagine how easy it would be to do door-to-doors with so many people outside?

Please start working on this with the other boots on the ground. If you need help with a postcard design let me know.

Run with it!

RyanRSheets
10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Please start working on this with the other boots on the ground. If you need help with a postcard design let me know.

Run with it!

I'm creating a Meetup for it now and I'll try to spread the idea around as much as I can to see if it generates interest. We need to come up with some literature and a way to distribute it to people who would participate. Even without literature, it could be greatly successful, but something for them to read after the approach will help a lot. A great touch would be a number to call in case the person has any trouble making it to the booth that day.

I do think there is a lot of potential in this, because anyone who is planning to take their kid out trick-or-treating could help, and anyone planning to hand out candy could help from the opposite end. Furthermore, it always seems like the older folks really enjoy handing out candy and talking to everyone, so this would be an outstanding opportunity to extend to them a ride or whatever else is needed to get them there.

It could be a double-edged sword if we're reminding the wrong people. Not sure what could be done about that, if anything. Anyone have any ideas on this?

JoshLowry
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm creating a Meetup for it now and I'll try to spread the idea around as much as I can to see if it generates interest. We need to come up with some literature and a way to distribute it to people who would participate. Even without literature, it could be greatly successful, but something for them to read after the approach will help a lot. A great touch would be a number to call in case the person has any trouble making it to the booth that day.

I do think there is a lot of potential in this, because anyone who is planning to take their kid out trick-or-treating could help, and anyone planning to hand out candy could help from the opposite end. Furthermore, it always seems like the older folks really enjoy handing out candy and talking to everyone, so this would be an outstanding opportunity to extend to them a ride or whatever else is needed to get them there.

It could be a double-edged sword if we're reminding the wrong people. Not sure what could be done about that, if anything. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Wear ghost sheets and say you are Ghosts from the Future here to warn you that economy will collapse unless we elect a candidate that is serious about cutting spending.

sailingaway
10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Wear ghost sheets and say you are Ghosts from the Future here to warn you that economy will collapse unless we elect a candidate that is serious about cutting spending.

Nothing that covers your face if you want to get people to talk to you, I would suggest.

sirgonzo420
10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Nothing that covers your face if you want to get people to talk to you, I would suggest.
I concur.

JoshLowry
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Yea, that was mostly in jest.

RyanRSheets
10-20-2010, 11:21 AM

Costumes of some sort would be good for anyone who isn't taking their kid out, but I'm thinking this would be easiest to sell to people who are going to be out in the cold anyhow. It always seemed to me, as a kid, that there were a lot of older folks out on their porch on Halloween, and those are precisely the kind of people who might need help or encouragement getting to the booth.

What could we do for people who are handing out candy? I thought about Rand Paul candy wrappers for a second that unfold to propaganda the parents would see, but it sounds like a liability. There has to be some kind of a cute spin we could put on a simple flier to either hand to the child with some candy or to the parent. This could be good for anyone who is going to just use it as an opportunity for door-to-doors as well.

sailingaway
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Costumes of some sort would be good for anyone who isn't taking their kid out, but I'm thinking this would be easiest to sell to people who are going to be out in the cold anyhow. It always seemed to me, as a kid, that there were a lot of older folks out on their porch on Halloween, and those are precisely the kind of people who might need help or encouragement getting to the booth.

What could we do for people who are handing out candy? I thought about Rand Paul candy wrappers for a second that unfold to propaganda the parents would see, but it sounds like a liability. There has to be some kind of a cute spin we could put on a simple flier to either hand to the child with some candy or to the parent. This could be good for anyone who is going to just use it as an opportunity for door-to-doors as well.

I'd suggest you hand it to the parent if you like, or have it in a separate basket that has an obvious a Rand Paul 2010 sticker on it to offer to the adults but you will turn off a lot of parents giving it to the little kid.

For that matter you could hand out bumperstickers or Rand Fan stickers if you could get some.

TheDriver
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/209640469.jpg

JoshLowry
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
If you are handing out candy on Halloween it might work to staple your candy bar to a post cards that can be printed out.

"Want to get spooked?" "Want to spook your parents?" "Show them this!"

Facts about spending

Facts about jobs

Facts about economy

Vote Rand Paul 2010.

TheDriver
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
if you are handing out candy on halloween it might work to staple your candy bar to a post cards that can be printed out.

"want to get spooked?" "want to spook your parents?" "show them this!"

facts about spending

facts about jobs

facts about economy

vote rand paul 2010.

lol!

JoshLowry
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
This one should be easy.

Somebody want to volunteer making an 8.5 x 11 divided into four or six of the same paragraphs?

If you give me the plain text then I will make and host it.

RyanRSheets
10-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I'd suggest you hand it to the parent if you like, or have it in a separate basket that has an obvious a Rand Paul 2010 sticker on it to offer to the adults but you will turn off a lot of parents giving it to the little kid.

For that matter you could hand out bumperstickers or Rand Fan stickers if you could get some.

The hardest part will probably just be getting supplies to people, but I think that can be done quickly enough. Agreed on handing it to the parent, unless you're just saying something like "and could you give this to your mom (or dad)?"

ItsTime
10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
No, leave holidays alone and leave it to the family to relax and enjoy it. Dont dress up and make a fool out of Rand.

RyanRSheets
10-20-2010, 11:41 AM
No, leave holidays alone and leave it to the family to relax and enjoy it. Dont dress up and make a fool out of Rand.

Nobody ever suggested making it confrontational or unenjoyable. It should be a kind reminder and a flyer, at most.

sailingaway
10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Nobody ever suggested making it confrontational or unenjoyable. It should be a kind reminder and a flyer, at most.

It should be a non intrusive reminder, like 'Remember to vote! Want a bumper sticker?'

Aimed at the adult, only.

JoshLowry
10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
All good points. Anyone want to take on the text?

ItsTime
10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Making all the same mistakes we made with Ron... But this time we have a chance to win... sigh.

JoshLowry
10-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Making all the same mistakes we made with Ron... But this time we have a chance to win... sigh.

I've been looking for ideas since last night.

Please feel free to add or do your own thing.

RyanRSheets
10-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Maybe something like:

"Over the next x days, our federal government will spend more than y billion dollars more than we give it.

This is on top of the mortgage and auto loan your child already owes.

Scary, isn't it?

This Tuesday, November 2nd, help Washington balance their checkbook.

As a business owner, Rand Paul has to balance his checkbook every day. He can't simply raise prices to get out of debt, nor can he borrow more than he can pay back. Rand Paul believes Washington should have to live with these same restraints. Rand Paul has pledged to never vote for an unbalanced budget, and never vote to raise taxes.

This Tuesday, November 2nd, vote!"

x being the number of days before Rand is sworn in, y being x times the average deficit per day (4.18 billion)?

Matt Collins
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I have to wonder how many people in KY will be going as Aqua Buddha for Halloween?