PDA

View Full Version : Ban on smoking in your own apartment coming soon?

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-20-2010, 08:19 AM
http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/19/study-secondhand-smoke-a-risk-of-apartment-living/

mike73
11-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Well, technically, it's not your apartment. You're renting it.

DamianTV
11-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Whoever goes for something like this, just ask yourself if you should have stuck up for the smokers before the food police starts coming after your bacon and salt.

TexanRudeBoy
11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Whoever goes for something like this, just ask yourself if you should have stuck up for the smokers before the food police starts coming after your bacon and salt.

As Mike above you said, its not your apartment. Nobody renting space from someone has any right to complain about the rules they enforce if you agreed to abide by their rules. I completely get the slippery slope you're referring to, but in this kind of case we have no argument.

dannno
11-05-2010, 01:27 PM
As Mike above you said, its not your apartment. Nobody renting space from someone has any right to complain about the rules they enforce if you agreed to abide by their rules. I completely get the slippery slope you're referring to, but in this kind of case we have no argument.

The article just said apartments should be smoke free zones. If the government is enforcing it then that is wrong. If the apartment owner wants to have no smoking, then guess what? They can already do that. I see ads for apartments that say "ns" (no smoking) all the time. It is generally done because they don't want to have to replace all the carpets and drapes if a heavy smoker moves out.

I think all these second hand smoke studies are total BS.. not to mention I never see a lot of studies about what in tobacco causes lung cancer, it is actually the fertilizers which contain radiation and additives which are carcinogens. If everybody smoked organic American Spirits then lung cancer from cigarettes would probably be almost non-existent. It is already non-existent for cannabis tokers.

Schifference
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I own and live in a two family. I rent one apartment and do not allow smoking. The unit was advertised that way and the contract forbids it. Both tenants smoke and abide with the rule.

Meatwasp
11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
[freefertilizers which contain radiation and additives which are carcinogens. If everybody smoked organic American Spirits then lung cancer from cigarettes would probably be almost non-existent. It is already non-existent for cannabis tokers.[/QUOTE]

You are right on that, but now they should have a study what causes allergic reactions from second hand pot smoke.
Just the other day a woman had to rush her kid to the hospital because the pot smoke went into her kids room.
The sheriff couldn't do anything because the pot smoker wasn't deliberately trying to harm her.
If I was her and there were no rules on smoking she should move.

Noob
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Ban smoking in apartments well lead to baning of smoking in your own private home, leads to tobacco being treated like a ban controlled substance.

Fast Food being treated like junk food, leads to Happy Meals with toys being ban, leads to all Fast Food being ban, leads to all food that does not help to stop global warming being ban and treated like an ban controlled substance.

Meatwasp
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Ban smoking in apartments well lead to baning of smoking in your own private home, leads to tobacco being treated like a ban controlled substance.

Fast Food being treated like junk food, leads to Happy Meals with toys being ban, leads to all Fast Food being ban, leads to all food that does not help to stop global warming being ban and treated like an ban controlled substance.

Yes if the government is doing it ,but apartment owners have the right to ban smoking. Right?

dannno
11-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Just the other day a woman had to rush her kid to the hospital because the pot smoke went into her kids room.
The sheriff couldn't do anything because the pot smoker wasn't deliberately trying to harm her.
If I was her and there were no rules on smoking she should move.

I actually had a reaction while helping some people harvest cannabis plants recently, I had horrible hives ALL OVER my arms.. luckily I had some benadryl cream to treat it. But guess what? I've harvested plenty of times before without reaction.. the difference was these plants were heavily infected with a mold called botrytis, and I am allergic to mold. Botrytis infects all kinds of plants, not just cannabis. I hope klamath is reading this.

But the odd thing is, as far as having reactions to the smoke, I NEVER EVER EVER EVER hear anything like this when I lived in a community of tens of thousands of people where nearly every household has someone or friends over that smoke herb.....have NEVER EVER EVER EVER heard anything like it from individuals older and younger who lived in said community along with many, many other similar communities here in so cal, yet apparently it happens to random folks on RPFs?!?!

If it was even a relatively common allergy, like 1 in 10,000, I am SURE that I not only would have heard about it happening but there would be documented cases.. yet look on the internet, and all you find are like 3 or 4 random people who think that this is what caused their allergy?

I am HIGHLY skeptical that cannabis itself caused that allergy.. I would think it was either a coincidence or perhaps they were smoking really moldy herb and this kid is really sensitive to that particular kind of mold? I know around here moldy herb is simply discarded or made into hash, because it isn't worth selling.. yet other places I have seen herb that would never ever sell out here, so I'm sure there are people smoking moldy herb in some locales. So if you use where I live as a control, since all I see is clean herb (on the market), and nobody is ever allergic to the clean herb on the market here, we can see that cannabis itself probably doesn't cause any allergic reactions.. or it is incredibly, incredibly uncommon, and most of even the reported incidents are due to mold or something else.

MelissaWV
11-05-2010, 05:12 PM

You have a point if those are Government bans.

If, however, a private property owner wishes to add whether or not smoking is allowed to the terms of use of their property, I support their right to do so. This would go more along the lines of...

People eating less junky food because it's crap, leads to McDonalds voluntarily offering healthier versions of kids' meals (which actually most companies try to do).

dannno
11-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't think anybody has a problem with apartment owners not allowing smoking as smoking cigarettes causes damage to the property.

My biggest problem is they are lying about health consequences of second hand smoke and the attitudes they create from this are what is leading the cause to ban cigarette smoking on private property and apartments by govt. decree.

If an apartment owner wants to ban smoking herb too, fine, but I'm going to do it anyway and unless you're standing outside my window you'll never know cause it doesn't cause damage or permanent odors no matter how much you smoke.. which is quite surprising considering the strong initial odor, but true.. With that said if I get caught I'd be ok with getting kicked out, though I probably wouldn't live there in the first place and you'd be missing out on a good tenant who always paid their rent and didn't damage the property.

MelissaWV
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Okay the "no odors" thing is patently untrue :p Maybe you don't smell it because you're used to it, but I definitely notice the smell on clothes or in homes or apartments or in cars (even used ones which haven't been toked in for some time). It just depends on the frequency of use and the strength of it.

All that said, I can also smell all kinds of other nasty things that aren't banned yet.

dannno
11-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Okay the "no odors" thing is patently untrue :p Maybe you don't smell it because you're used to it, but I definitely notice the smell on clothes or in homes or apartments or in cars (even used ones which haven't been toked in for some time). It just depends on the frequency of use and the strength of it.

That is not residue from pure cannabis smoke you are smelling. It is either blunt wraps or joint papers or the person is smoking really shitty herb with other stuff in it that causes other odors. I know for a fact that you can smoke MASSIVE quantities of quality herb out of a water filtered bong or a glass pipe, and the smoke will not cause any long term odors in curtains or carpet or clothing.

I'm serious. You can hot box a closet with a pipe or bong several days a week for an entire year, and those clothes in the corner of the closet that don't end up being worn all year for whatever reason will come out smelling the same as the day you threw them in the closet.

On the other hand, I had a really tiny room for a few months like 7 years ago and small rooms are great for hotboxing so everybody wanted to use it... we were in a blunt rolling stage and all my clothes smelled like blunts after just one session... (for those that don't know, a blunt is cannabis wrapped in cigar or tobacco paper)

MelissaWV
11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Notice how many qualifications you had to add before it didn't stink the place up...

The bulk of folks out there are not smoking in the manner you've described. It would also make a hell of a long classified ad. :D

Icymudpuppy
11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Danno, some people smell better than others. I don't find skunk odor to be very strong, and can tolerate it quite nicely, and often need my dog to help me find dead animals because I can't smell the odor at all. Meanwhile post menopausal women seem to have incredibly acute senses of smell and can smell that mostly dehydrated dead mouse that I'm looking for at the other end of the house.

dannno
11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Notice how many qualifications you had to add before it didn't stink the place up...

The bulk of folks out there are not smoking in the manner you've described. It would also make a hell of a long classified ad. :D

Well smoking blunts is smoking tobacco, so that's entirely unfair.. most joint papers aren't that bad, but I've noticed some odor after using certain types before so I wouldn't doubt it.

As far as quality herb, if it were legal then everybody would have quality herb. Quality doesn't necessarily mean the most potent, f-u up herb, it just means clean buds, no molds or residue from pesticides or anything..

I have no desire to smoke joints when I'm at home, they are mostly for outdoors or concerts (and even then I prefer a pipe or something if possible)

I just like talking about this topic because I find it incredibly fascinating how powerful the initial odor of herb is compared to tobacco, yet how much tobacco clings and makes everything so aweful in the long run whereas cannabis odor just disappears.. I went to vegas recently and stayed in a smoking room, I don't even think we smoked in the room but when I went home my clothes stank like tobacco anyway.. even the ones at the bottom, the whole bag.. tobacco odor just seeps into everything, it's incredible..

dannno
11-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Danno, some people smell better than others. I don't find skunk odor to be very strong, and can tolerate it quite nicely, and often need my dog to help me find dead animals because I can't smell the odor at all. Meanwhile post menopausal women seem to have incredibly acute senses of smell and can smell that mostly dehydrated dead mouse that I'm looking for at the other end of the house.

Ya I know, but I have experienced multipliers beyond what is normal (smoking pipes/bongs) with a lot of people and pounds of herb in extremely, extremely confined areas over long periods of time and still NOTHING.. The clothes or drapes literally have the same exact odor as before.. I'm talking filling a room with so much smoke you can barely see 2 feet in front of you.. doing it over and over.. that is extreme... and still no smell..

Meatwasp
11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
My husband smoked a pipe and we couldn't stand the smell so he put his pipe in a shed and every time he wanted to smoke he had to walk over to it to smoke.
Finally he quit and then he couldn't stand his brothers cigarette smoke.. He apologized to all of us.
My poor dear did die of lung cancer.

Meatwasp
11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
dannno,
It may not leave a smell when it is out but it sure as heck smell terrible when you smell the guy smoking it.

dannno
11-08-2010, 06:29 PM
dannno,
It may not leave a smell when it is out but it sure as heck smell terrible when you smell the guy smoking it.

I think it smells really good.. though it is certainly pungent, I think most people don't like it because they are taught it is something 'bad' invading their body when it is in fact completely harmless. Since it smells so strong, they assume there must be a lot of "bad" stuff invading their body. Also, there's a big difference in the smell between schwagg (low quality bud) and good quality bud, which has a very diverse range of aromas.

My husband smoked a pipe and we couldn't stand the smell so he put his pipe in a shed and every time he wanted to smoke he had to walk over to it to smoke.
Finally he quit and then he couldn't stand his brothers cigarette smoke.. He apologized to all of us.
My poor dear did die of lung cancer.

That's a shame, I wonder what flavor he had? My coworker smokes pipe tobacco and I don't know what flavor it is, but whenever he takes it out if there is somebody new here working they say "Wow, what is that smell? That smells really good!"

I know we have a really high quality pipe tobacco store around here, he probably gets it there. Everybody has commented about how his pipe tobacco smells so great, it smells great when you walk by him outside smoking it as well. Cigarettes, on the other hand, most people don't seem to like that smell at all.

And again I'd say the cancer was likely due to the radioactive fertilizers they use rather than tobacco itself.

oyarde
11-08-2010, 07:02 PM

I have a highly sensetive sense of smell . Smoke smells of many types do not bother me at all , weed , cigarettes , cigars , pipes , fireplaces , leaves etc . Maybe it is because I grew up on a farm and a normal Dec. morning the house would smell like wood smoke , bacon and coffee .