PDA

View Full Version : I just met Gary Johnson

Liberty_Mike
10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Gary Johnson spoke in Reno, NV tonight at the UNR campust to a group of about 10-15 people. I was present for the event. Johnson gave a 20 minute speech about his career as Governor, his visions for the future, and his "Our America" initiative. He then took questions from the attendees, where he not only gave answers, but more led a conversation about them. I had the ability to ask Gary a couple questions. My first question was about his privitization of 50% of the prisons in New Mexico during his time as governor. He gave a very good explanation of how he did this, and how it was a perfect example of how privitization of services leads to efficiency and reduction of price, when government run institutions do the complete opposite. I also had the opportunity to ask him about the patriot act, and violations of our 4th ammendments. I brought up the story from last week where a young muslim man found an FBI tracking device on the bottom of his car. Gary said he had actually just heard of that story earlier today. He went on to emphasize how much he opposes such actions by the government. He also said that America is supposed to be a place of freedom, and he supports repealing the patriot act. Other issues he addressed from audience questions were his support of abolishing the IRS and Federal Reserve, legalization of marijuana, large reductions in government spending, and privitizing areas which the government currently controls. He also discussed foreign policy, and stated he fully supports brining our troops home from not only Iraq, but Afghanistan, Europe, Japan, and South Korea. He said that it is not the obligation of the United States to act as nation builders or the world's policemen.
You may ask why I am telling you all of this. The reason I am sharing my experience from tonight with everyone here is because after meeting him, I can assure you Gary Johnson is one of us. He stands with us 100%. I have heard skepticism of Johnson at the Daily Paul and Ron Paul Forums in the past, and I do not understand why. Gary Johnson has the energy, personality and enthusiasm to spread the message of liberty and respect of our Constitution better than anyone. Although it is too early to tell what he or Ron Paul are going to do in terms of 2012, we need to make sure the two work together so we the people can accomplsih our goals. Ron Paul and Gary Johnson working together in 2012 is the best thing that could happen for the liberty movement. I suggest those of you who are not too familiar with Gary Johnson do your research on him, and discover that he is truly one of us, and that he can be one of the most important and influential figures in waking the people up to liberty if the grass roots will support him in the beginning. Cheers!

Agorism
10-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Ya he'll be great...for some later election after Ron is finished running again!

phesoge
10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I love Ron Paul. I truly do,but I don't understand why Gary isnt considered just as viable a candidate for 2012.

Brett
10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
I love Ron Paul. I truly do,but I don't understand why Gary isnt considered just as viable a candidate for 2012.

We can't split our liberty vote, it's small as it is.

Sola_Fide
10-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I think having Ron and Gary BOTH in the Republican presidential ebates would be HUGE for the liberty movement.

Could you imagine what kind of presidential debate that would be?

Flirple
10-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I think having Ron and Gary BOTH in the Republican presidential ebates would be HUGE for the liberty movement.

+1

emazur
10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I also met him in February and asked him about abolishing the income tax/IRS, and another attendee asked him about abolishing the Fed. Although he's called for ending the Fed in the past at the Rally for the Republic, when asked this year he basically answered that he didn't think it was realistic and said the same thing about ending the IRS. I was somewhat disappointed by that response, but am still very supportive of Gary. I also called him on a talk radio show the other day to ask him for advice on running for office if anyone's interested:
YouTube - Gov. Gary Johnson's advice on running for public office (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEgf5C-YX5k)

Liberty_Mike
10-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I also met him in February and asked him about abolishing the income tax/IRS, and another attendee asked him about abolishing the Fed. Although he's called for ending the Fed in the past at the Rally for the Republic, when asked this year he basically answered that he didn't think it was realistic and said the same thing about ending the IRS. I was somewhat disappointed by that response, but am still very supportive of Gary. I also called him on a talk radio show the other day to ask him for advice on running for office if anyone's interested:
YouTube - Gov. Gary Johnson's advice on running for public office (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEgf5C-YX5k)

Just listened to your clip. Awesome you called in and had the opportunity to ask that question. Are you planning on running for office anytime in the near future?

emazur
10-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Just listened to your clip. Awesome you called in and had the opportunity to ask that question. Are you planning on running for office anytime in the near future?

Possibly I would like to run for Congressman as a Libertarian (maybe GOP - there are 2 other Ron Paulers in OR who got nominations in other districts) as early as 2012 in my district. Unfortunately there are no liberty candidates running this year in my district, so I figured someone had better step up to the plate next go around. I'll really have to work on getting my talking points down though - I've researched a great amount of invaluable information but always look for the big picture instead of committing things to memory, so as it is I'm not an effective libertarian communicator when speaking.

Agorism
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM
This is Ron Paul's year. No one is more principled.

Johnson is young enough that he can wait another 4. Right now, I might even edge towards Johnson over Rand, but that will depend on how he does in the senate.

trey4sports
10-19-2010, 11:57 PM
This is a revolution of ideas, we need as many people a possible on the stage representing liberty. I think having gary and ron on the stage would spread the message even further than just having 1 candidate

james1906
10-19-2010, 11:58 PM

Notice that only about a dozen people showed up. Johnson is great, but if it was Paul speaking, a dozen people would show up to camp out overnight to hear him speak.

Uriel999
10-20-2010, 12:08 AM

honestly all I have EVER seen him debate is marijuana legalization. Sure I agree it should be legal, but I would love to see him talk in the media on other issues. He marginalizes himself as a 1 issue candidate.

LudwigVonMisoSoup
10-20-2010, 12:44 AM
This is a revolution of ideas, we need as many people a possible on the stage representing liberty. I think having gary and ron on the stage would spread the message even further than just having 1 candidate

It would certainly reframe the debate. Not only that, Gary could expand or address questions that Ron doesn't get time for.

Kregisen
10-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I met Barry Hess tonight (running as the libertarian for Arizona governor against Jan Brewer) but meeting Gary Johnson is quite a bit better.

Johnson has been great except, I remember there was one position he had us all bamboozled on...I think he voted yes on a smoking ban for restaurants? Something like that, hopefully someone else can find it. It was an issue that totally make you lose respect for someone like that, even if it was Ron Paul.

JS4Pat
10-20-2010, 04:02 AM

I just me Gary Johnson for the first time at the Nullify Now Event in Orlando on 10-10-10.

I asked him if Ron Paul running in 2012 would have any impact on his decision to run. He answered no and added that he thought the more voices for liberty - the better.

Not sure if I agree on that one or not....

M.Hays
10-20-2010, 08:31 AM
If you have only heard him debate marijuana legalization then you aren’t paying attention. I follow Gary Johnson pretty closely and while he does speak out on the issue a lot, it has to do with the fact that the vote on Prop 19 is on the ballot this upcoming election. I have heard him speak out on and write articles on many different non-marijuana issues as well. States’ rights, immigration, national defense and even Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell last week and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I completely agree people should pay more attention to Gary Johnson. I have not had the chance to hear him speak yet, but I look forward to an opportunity to. I am sure at this point when Ron Paul was preparing for his campaign he didn’t have large crowds of people showing up to hear what he had to say, but he moved forward and now look at everyone standing behind him! I don’t know what will happen in 2012, but it would be great if people were more open to Gary Johnson instead of just focusing on the fact that he isn’t Ron Paul. Dr. Paul is an icon, really THE icon, for the liberty movement to say the least, but he is by no means the only one.

I also do agree that the more voices for liberty the better. It is a movement that remains unseen and heard for the most part and if we can change that then perhaps we can change people’s perspective and then maybe change the country! A little bit corny, but true, haha.

I would be very happy if Governor Johnson decides to run for President in 2012. Not necessarily more or less excited then if Ron Paul decided to run, but still very thrilled.

Krugerrand
10-20-2010, 08:46 AM
I just me Gary Johnson for the first time at the Nullify Now Event in Orlando on 10-10-10.

I asked him if Ron Paul running in 2012 would have any impact on his decision to run. He answered no and added that he thought the more voices for liberty - the better.

Not sure if I agree on that one or not....

A commitment to run in the same election with RP is not a bad thing. RP being an opponent in the primaries is not a reason for him not to run.

Now, if RP starts to pick up some momentum and his campaign stands in the way of that, I would hope that he would bow out gracefully. But, I don't think that's a fair question to ask him to answer.

However, if RP's campaign hits some unsurmountable roadblock, GJ could then be well positioned to push forward for liberty.

There's never just one neo-con on the ballot.

Liberty_Mike
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
This is Ron Paul's year. No one is more principled.

Johnson is young enough that he can wait another 4. Right now, I might even edge towards Johnson over Rand, but that will depend on how he does in the senate.

After meeting Johnson and looking at his record, I believe he is just as principled as Ron Paul. Last night he told me that he vetoed over 700 bills during his time as Governor, which was more than all other 49 Governors in the US combined in that 8 year period. He went on to mention that a little over 100 of these were bills that had been voted on unanimously in the New Mexico legislature.

HOLLYWOOD
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM

No one can ever come out and oppose the establishment outright. But once in office, you can pull a switch and target THE FED and IRS fraud/schemes. both sides of the duopoly still have their paid pundits calling RP a kook or quixotic agenda on these very same issues.

The well oiled machine of the establishment runs deep with the public relations firms know as the 4th branch of government (Main Stream Media) to sabotage ANYONE they wish.

Get your foot in the door, once there, then a pillar of do-good.

klamath
10-20-2010, 10:48 AM
A commitment to run in the same election with RP is not a bad thing. RP being an opponent in the primaries is not a reason for him not to run.

Now, if RP starts to pick up some momentum and his campaign stands in the way of that, I would hope that he would bow out gracefully. But, I don't think that's a fair question to ask him to answer.

However, if RP's campaign hits some unsurmountable roadblock, GJ could then be well positioned to push forward for liberty.

There's never just one neo-con on the ballot.

Honestly I would vote for Palin or Newt before Johnson if Johnson syphoned enough votes in the early primaries to defeat RP.

Liberty_Mike
10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Honestly I would vote for Palin or Newt before Johnson if Johnson syphoned enough votes in the early primaries to defeat RP.

What would be the purpose of that?

klamath
10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
What would be the purpose of that?
What would be the purpose of Johnson running for the same voters RP HAS to get is a better question?

LibertyEagle
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Considering your choice of avatar, "Liberty-Mike", sorry, but your opinion of a candidate doesn't go too far with me.

Krugerrand
10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
What would be the purpose of Johnson running for the same voters RP HAS to get is a better question?

I think it's fair to have several like-minded folks on the ticket. See which one is showing the most voter appeal and then rally around that individual. Of course, I hope that is Ron Paul, but I'm prepared to see who else is available if it is not.

Sentient Void
10-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Guys... having both Johnson *AND* Ron Paul running for the Republican nomination for president in 2012 can *only* be a good thing. I sincerely believe that both of these guys don't have a lust for power - but instead stand for truly maximizing liberty. If I'm right, then it would be great to have both candidates talking about the issues in the debates, picking up slack where the other missed out on certain points or did not have enough time to answer correctly - while showing support / agreement with the other. This will frame the debate in terms of liberty and true small government principles... then, further into the election process - eventually one could bow out and endorse the other, throwing their support behind him.

Hell, I'd donate to both of their campaigns.

Liberty_Mike
10-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Considering your choice of avatar, "Liberty-Mike", sorry, but your opinion of a candidate doesn't go too far with me.

Do you even know what my avatar is?

Liberty_Mike
10-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Johnson can attract more people to the liberty movement along with Ron Paul. That would be the purpose. It would be absurd in my opinion to vote for someone like Palin or Newt over someone who is on our side!

LibertyEagle
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Do you even know what my avatar is?

It looks like it is mocking Christianity. If it is something else, please do tell.

klamath
10-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I think it's fair to have several like-minded folks on the ticket. See which one is showing the most voter appeal and then rally around that individual. Of course, I hope that is Ron Paul, but I'm prepared to see who else is available if it is not.
The person that wins the majority of the first three primaries will be the nominee. RP and GJ would be competing for the exactly the same 15 to 20% of the libertarian/republican voters in the republican party. Split that between them and the next christian/right or neocon candidate will win with as little as 18 percent of the vote. GJ know this and RP knows this and if GJ runs anyhow I wouldn't trust the motives of the SOB.

Brett
10-20-2010, 12:02 PM
It looks like it is mocking Christianity. If it is something else, please do tell.

Bad Religion is a band.

BamaAla
10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm of the opinion that the more liberty candidates we have on the scene the better we are. Johnson is a bit more articulate that Paul and some people are persuaded by things like that, so I can't see this as a bad thing.

Liberty_Mike, do you post on another forum aimed at high performance American cars by any chance?

LibertyEagle
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Bad Religion is a band.

Thanks. I looked it up.

It is a band who is led by an atheist who hates Christianity.

Krugerrand
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
The person that wins the majority of the first three primaries will be the nominee. RP and GJ would be competing for the exactly the same 15 to 20% of the libertarian/republican voters in the republican party. Split that between them and the next christian/right or neocon candidate will win with as little as 18 percent of the vote. GJ know this and RP knows this and if GJ runs anyhow I wouldn't trust the motives of the SOB.

I'd be very curious to see how accurate this has been historically. Given the volatile nation of politics these days, I don't think that can be assumed. Look how long the DEMS were in contest in '08.

IF the same individual wins the first three primaries, that would likely be the case. But, even then, depending on who drops out and what factions remain, the battle could continue. Then, take into consideration states like Pennsylvania where the direct primary election means nothing - the election of the delegates makes all the difference - a close election could get very interesting. A strong impact in the early debates I would say is even more important than winning early primaries - provided that the same individual does not win all the early primaries.

klamath
10-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Johnson can attract more people to the liberty movement along with Ron Paul. That would be the purpose. It would be absurd in my opinion to vote for someone like Palin or Newt over someone who is on our side!
Just tell me what Johnson says that would attract more voters??

Brett
10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
So, it is a band who hates Christianity. That makes it better?

Not sure, I just know who they are because they have a few catchy songs. Their lyrics from what I've heard don't talk about religion at all, but I don't know their actual beliefs.

Liberty_Mike
10-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Bad Religion is a punk band who have been around since the early 1980s. I would hope you would not judge my support of a candidate due to the choice of music I listen to.

I'm of the opinion that the more liberty candidates we have on the scene the better we are. Johnson is a bit more articulate that Paul and some people are persuaded by things like that, so I can't see this as a bad thing.

Liberty_Mike, do you post on another forum aimed at high performance American cars by any chance?

No, I don't post on any forums aimed at automotive subjects.

Look, he would be a new voice to the liberty movement, and he would be campaigning on those issue. I know we all like Ron Paul here, but he can't do everything on his own! If Gary Johnson campaigns on our issues, he can do a lot to expand our voice in the Republican party, since he will be an addition to Ron Paul.

BamaAla
10-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Bad Religion is a punk band who have been around since the early 1980s. I would hope you would not judge my support of a candidate due to the choice of music I listen to.

No, I don't post on any forums aimed at automotive subjects.

I thought I recognized your handle from somewhere else; sorry. Bad Religion is a good band, but my personal favorite from around that period is Social Distortion.

I'm going to see Gary in Birmingham soon; I hope I get the chance to talk with him!

Krugerrand
10-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Two important things here. 1) He may say the same thing differently that may resonate with some people who didn't catch on to Ron Paul's presentation. (and the bigger) 2) In debates, it's harder for the other candidates to marginalize Ron Paul when he has fellow candidates speaking the same message.

LibertyEagle
10-20-2010, 12:22 PM

No, of course not. It just seemed kinda odd that you would have something like that as your avatar. Because for people who don't know it's a band, it appears that you are sending a completely different message altogether.

It's the last I'll say about it and sorry for taking your thread off-topic.

:)

klamath
10-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd be very curious to see how accurate this has been historically. Given the volatile nation of politics these days, I don't think that can be assumed. Look how long the DEMS were in contest in '08.
IF the same individual wins the first three primaries, that would likely be the case. But, even then, depending on who drops out and what factions remain, the battle could continue. Then, take into consideration states like Pennsylvania where the direct primary election means nothing - the election of the delegates makes all the difference - a close election could get very interesting. A strong impact in the early debates I would say is even more important than winning early primaries - provided that the same individual does not win all the early primaries.

Very. I have been following it since 1976. Who Won Obama or Clinton?

Liberty_Mike
10-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I thought I recognized your handle from somewhere else; sorry. Bad Religion is a good band, but my personal favorite from around that period is Social Distortion.

I'm going to see Gary in Birmingham soon; I hope I get the chance to talk with him!

Social Distortion is one of my favorites too! Bad Religion is my all time favorite, but I am a big fan of pretty much all of the ones from that era. I post on other forums with this alias for the 49ers and drums, so maybe you have seen it there if by any chance you visit those sort of forums.
Glad to see you will be seeing Gary soon. They guy is very receptive of questions from the people. He talked to me one on one about a couple things. Hopefully you get the same chance. Let us know how your experience goes.

Fredom101
10-20-2010, 12:30 PM

He's not for ending the income tax which is why I don't support him. "Cut taxes" is the same old bullshit we've heard for decades from republicans and it doesn't cut it. :mad:

BamaAla
10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Social Distortion is one of my favorites too! Bad Religion is my all time favorite, but I am a big fan of pretty much all of the ones from that era. I post on other forums with this alias for the 49ers and drums, so maybe you have seen it there if by any chance you visit those sort of forums.
Glad to see you will be seeing Gary soon. They guy is very receptive of questions from the people. He talked to me one on one about a couple things. Hopefully you get the same chance. Let us know how your experience goes.

Its a great period of music unlike what we're experiencing at present.

I will compose a full report after the meeting; I'm a big Garry Johnson fan and a supporter of the "Our America" initiative.