PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit: Cincinnati Schools Pushing Only Democrats on Students, Loading Vans to Vote

FrankRep
10-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Lawsuit: Cincinnati Public Schools pushing Democrats (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20101018/NEWS010702/10190308/)

Cincinnati, Ohio News
October 18, 2010

Three van loads of Hughes High students were taken last week – during school hours – to vote and given sample ballots only for Democratic candidates and then taken for ice cream, a Monday lawsuit alleges.

The complaint was made by Thomas Brinkman Jr., a Republican candidate for Hamilton County auditor, and the Coalition Opposed to Additional Spending & Taxes against Cincinnati Public Schools.

“They plan to bring four more high schools (to vote) this week,” Christopher Finney, COAST attorney, said Monday after filing the suit.

It seeks a temporary restraining order to prevent school officials from participating or helping students participate in partisan politics during school hours or with school property or employees involved.

CPS spokeswoman Janet Walsh said taking students on school time to vote has been done before. “It has to be scrupulously nonpartisan,” Walsh said.

Stepaniak said church vans were volunteered to drive students to vote.

The suit alleges three van loads of Hughes High students arrived at the Downtown Board of Elections offices at 1 p.m. Wednesday, supervised by a school employee. School lets out at 3:15 p.m.

SOURCE:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20101018/NEWS010702/10190308/

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Lawsuit: Cincinnati Public Schools pushing Democrats (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20101018/NEWS010702/10190308/)

Cincinnati, Ohio News
October 18, 2010

Three van loads of Hughes High students were taken last week – during school hours – to vote and given sample ballots only for Democratic candidates and then taken for ice cream, a Monday lawsuit alleges.

The complaint was made by Thomas Brinkman Jr., a Republican candidate for Hamilton County auditor, and the Coalition Opposed to Additional Spending & Taxes against Cincinnati Public Schools.

“They plan to bring four more high schools (to vote) this week,” Christopher Finney, COAST attorney, said Monday after filing the suit.

It seeks a temporary restraining order to prevent school officials from participating or helping students participate in partisan politics during school hours or with school property or employees involved.

CPS spokeswoman Janet Walsh said taking students on school time to vote has been done before. “It has to be scrupulously nonpartisan,” Walsh said.

Stepaniak said church vans were volunteered to drive students to vote.

The suit alleges three van loads of Hughes High students arrived at the Downtown Board of Elections offices at 1 p.m. Wednesday, supervised by a school employee. School lets out at 3:15 p.m.

SOURCE:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20101018/NEWS010702/10190308/

The article title is misleading. It says the vans were NOT school vans, and were driven by civilian volunteers. So the school didn't advocate any candidate, and no school money was spent.

Other than the fact that one school employee chaperoned the event, this doesn't seem to be a big deal unless they can prove that the school somehow coordinated with the Dem candidate's campaign to have people there handing out campaign literature when they arrived?

FrankRep
10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
The article title is misleading. It says the vans were NOT school vans, and were driven by civilian volunteers. So the school didn't advocate any candidate, and no school money was spent.

The Cincinnati Public Schools allowed the vans to pick up students during school hours. Cincinnati Public Schools are Responsible and Liable for those actions.

klamath
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Other than the fact that one school employee chaperoned the event, this doesn't seem to be a big deal unless they can prove that the school somehow coordinated with the Dem candidate's campaign to have people there handing out campaign literature when they arrived? The school sent a chaperone to an event that only gave out democratic ballots? Come on obamaman, they KNEW.

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 04:55 PM
The Cincinnati Public Schools allowed the vans to pick up students during school hours. Cincinnati Public Schools are Responsible and Liable for those actions.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's why they sent a chaperone- just as they would do on a field trip to the local zoo or whatever.

If they showed up at the polling place, and Dem campaign workers handed them materials, that's no big deal- both parties can do that as long as they stay a certain distance from the polling place.

Unless the school chaperone encouraged them to vote Dem or directed them into the arms of Dem campaign workers, I don't see this as a big deal- it's nothing more than taking a trip to let the kids vote (I'm assuming Cincinnati must have some sort of "early voting" system).

Am I missing something here?

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 05:00 PM
The school sent a chaperone to an event that only gave out democratic ballots? Come on obamaman, they KNEW.

How do you know it wasn't just an alert Dem campaign staffer who handed out materials as they walked into the polling place? I've voted lots of times where one party is handing out materials, and the other party is represented by no one.

If they drive students to the polling place, and one party has someone there handing out literature, and the other doesn't, that's just politics, that isn't a crime.

If there is some proof that the school chaperone somehow colluded with the Dem campaign, then you have a problem.

klamath
10-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I'm assuming that's why they sent a chaperone- just as they would do on a field trip to the local zoo or whatever.

If they showed up at the polling place, and Dem campaign workers handed them materials, that's no big deal- both parties can do that as long as they stay a certain distance from the polling place.

Unless the school chaperone encouraged them to vote Dem or directed them into the arms of Dem campaign workers, I don't see this as a big deal- it's nothing more than taking a trip to let the kids vote (I'm assuming Cincinnati must have some sort of "early voting" system).

"When they got out of the vans, the students, the suit alleges, also were accompanied by adults who appeared to be campaign workers or supporters for U.S. Rep. Steve Driehaus, D-West Price Hill, the congressman being challenged this fall by Steve Chabot. When the students got out of the vans, the suit alleges they were given sample ballots containing only Democratic candidates."

dannno
10-19-2010, 05:02 PM
That's funny.

...and Libertarian4321 is one of the most trusting persons of people with dubious intentions i've ever encountered.

oyarde
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM

"Directed them into the arms of Dem campaign workers" .... sounds like a horror movie .

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
"When they got out of the vans, the students, the suit alleges, also were accompanied by adults who appeared to be campaign workers or supporters for U.S. Rep. Steve Driehaus, D-West Price Hill,

The question is, were those campaign workers just working the polling station and came up to greet the van, or did the school coordinate with them? Unless they can prove that there was some sort of collusion, I don't see where they have any case.

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 05:26 PM
"Directed them into the arms of Dem campaign workers" .... sounds like a horror movie .

I've got your sample ballot right here, sir. I'd appreciate it if you STRONGLY considered voting the Dem party line...

http://www.costumzee.com/view/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/jason.jpg

oyarde
10-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I've got your sample ballot right here, sir. I'd appreciate it if you STRONGLY considered voting the Dem party line...

http://www.costumzee.com/view/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/jason.jpg

LOL , I love it .

klamath
10-19-2010, 05:45 PM
The question is, were those campaign workers just working the polling station and came up to greet the van, or did the school coordinate with them? Unless they can prove that there was some sort of collusion, I don't see where they have any case.

Again. "when-they-got-out-of- the-van.....they-were-also-accompanied-by.".. Maybe this happened or maybe not but you are NOT reading what was said in the article which is all we have to go with. If they had democratic campaign workers on the van with the school chaparone it WAS coordinated. If the school shows the democrats weren't on the bus then you could be right.

"When they got out of the vans, the students, the suit alleges, also were accompanied by adults who appeared to be campaign workers or supporters for U.S. Rep. Steve Driehaus, D-West Price Hill, the congressman being challenged this fall by Steve Chabot. When the students got out of the vans, the suit alleges they were given sample ballots containing only Democratic candidates."