PDA

View Full Version : GQ's Jason Zengerle destroys Jack Conway! Calls Aqua Buddah ad the most despicable ad

Dripping Rain
10-18-2010, 10:43 PM
:cool:
While the liberal facists at pageonekentucky and BFP continue to cheerlead and stand behind this sickening ad. The Man himself who investigated and broke the Aqua Buddha story shows his disgust and disdain for Jack Conway's "despicable" ad and defends Dr. Rand Paul

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/78475/vile-ad-kentucky-senate-conway-paul

There are still two weeks left until the midterm elections, but it’s not too early to declare a winner in the contest for the most despicable political ad of this campaign season. On Friday night, Jack Conway, the Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate in Kentucky, released a 30-second spot questioning the Christian faith of his Republican opponent Rand Paul. Conway’s ad focused on two episodes from Paul’s days as a college student in the early 1980s. At Baylor, Paul belonged to a secret society known as the NoZe Brotherhood which, according to the ad’s narrator, “called the Holy Bible ‘a hoax’ [and] was banned [from campus] for mocking Christianity and Christ.” It was also during his time at Baylor that Paul and a fellow NoZe brother allegedly tied up a female classmate, tried to get her to do bong hits with them, and then took her to a creek where they made her worship “Aqua Buddha”—which, as the ad points out, is “a false idol.” During a candidate debate on Sunday night, Conway repeated these charges, while Paul accused Conway of “descend[ing] into the gutter” and “demean[ing] Kentucky.” When the debate was over, Paul refused to shake Conway’s hand.

Frankly, I don’t blame him. First, no candidate over the age of, say, 30 should be held politically accountable for anything he or she did in college

Alas, as the guy who first shined a light on Paul’s NoZe membership and the Aqua Buddha prank in GQ this past summer, I suppose I’m responsible for supplying the raw material for Conway’s disgusting ad. But the reason I wrote about Paul’s college days was not because I thought they revealed anything interesting or significant about his religious faith, or even his attitudes toward illegal drugs. Rather, I wrote about them because I believe they point to traits that are crucial to understanding Rand Paul: namely, his anti-authority streak and his lack of respect for institutions.

ronaldo23
10-18-2010, 10:50 PM
lmao.

one thing that surprises me is that factcheck.org hasn't condemned the fact that the ad IS FROM AN ANONYMOUS source. Instead factcheck says that "Rand never denied it" rather than the fact that it is literally an anonymous accuser

Dripping Rain
10-18-2010, 11:01 PM
lmao.

one thing that surprises me is that factcheck.org hasn't condemned the fact that the ad IS FROM AN ANONYMOUS source. Instead factcheck says that "Rand never denied it" rather than the fact that it is literally an anonymous accuser

in a state full of birthers like KY factchek.org is really like the stupidest source to quote. Almost all birthers know of that website thats nothing but a convenience tool used and updated by the same democratic machine
they may have quoted fatcheque.org and people may have taken the bait

jct74
10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Great article! This needs to go viral. Here is I think the most important part of the article though:

Although the Conway campaign makes the NoZe Brotherhood sound like a bunch of pagans who got together to sacrifice small woodland creatures in tribute to the anti-Christ, the group was, in reality, the closest thing Baylor had to the Harvard Lampoon. In other words, the NoZe existed to poke fun at and, whenever possible, piss off the school’s administration; and since Baylor was (and, to a lesser extent, still is) a devoutly Southern Baptist school, the surest way to do that was to engage in absurd acts of sacrilege. So that’s the context for understanding why the NoZe, in its satirical newspaper, called the bible “a hoax”; and why Paul allegedly told a female classmate his God was “Aqua Buddha”; and why the Baylor administration ultimately banned the NoZe from campus. After all, during Paul’s time at Baylor, the Baylor administration banned dancing on campus, too. (Chapel attendance, meanwhile, was required.) Belonging to the NoZe didn’t mean a Baylor student was irreligious or a bad Christian. It simply meant the student didn’t subscribe to—or, at the very least, was questioning toward—all of the very conservative dictates of the Southern Baptist Convention.

It explains that the NoZe brothers weren't some sort of Satanic or atheistic brotherhood, but were merely just a bunch of guys that had a disdain for authority at a place that didn't even allow dancing until 1996! They didn't do these things because they were AGAINST Christianity.

Cardinal Red
10-18-2010, 11:20 PM
I actually know the author sort of indirectly, and I am hoping that some displeased comments I sent (very gently) his way after the original article appeared may have had some influence in his writing this one. Though that's probably just vanity on my part

Jeremy
10-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Amazing, amazing.

Matt Collins
10-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I wrote about them because I believe they point to traits that are crucial to understanding Rand Paul: namely, his anti-authority streak and his lack of respect for institutions.Well then you could've done a better job spelling that out inthe original article!

Indy Vidual
10-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Win Rand Win!

Libertea Party
10-19-2010, 05:26 AM
I'll give credit where credit is due. He didn't have to write this but he did.

I still think he's being a bit disingenuous, why pick one candidate and track them and their college friends down?

Whatever, this was a thoughtful write-up.

sailingaway
10-19-2010, 07:17 AM
I saw him on Reason TV talking about his story (and Rand meeting with Kristol et al.) and he was actually taking Rand's side, sort of against Reason, saying Rand hadn't sold out, or that had held his own counsel sufficiently that McConnell's camp was still really worried about him, etc. He seemed pretty impressed after going to the farm forum to see Rand say farm subsidies were on the table to that audience while Conway pandered, promised the moon, and flipped on the Bush tax cuts.

He was still 'for' the Dem candidate, but I thought it was clearly 'the Dem candidate' he was for, and certainly not Conway.

sailingaway
10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Great article! This needs to go viral. Here is I think the most important part of the article though:

It explains that the NoZe brothers weren't some sort of Satanic or atheistic brotherhood, but were merely just a bunch of guys that had a disdain for authority at a place that didn't even allow dancing until 1996! They didn't do these things because they were AGAINST Christianity.

I agree that is the quote that is more important but I'd ad more of it:

"Although the Conway campaign makes the NoZe Brotherhood sound like a bunch of pagans who got together to sacrifice small woodland creatures in tribute to the anti-Christ, the group was, in reality, the closest thing Baylor had to the Harvard Lampoon. In other words, the NoZe existed to poke fun at and, whenever possible, piss off the school’s administration; and since Baylor was (and, to a lesser extent, still is) a devoutly Southern Baptist school, the surest way to do that was to engage in absurd acts of sacrilege. So that’s the context for understanding why the NoZe, in its satirical newspaper, called the bible “a hoax”; and why Paul allegedly told a female classmate his God was “Aqua Buddha”; and why the Baylor administration ultimately banned the NoZe from campus. After all, during Paul’s time at Baylor, the Baylor administration banned dancing on campus, too. (Chapel attendance, meanwhile, was required.) Belonging to the NoZe didn’t mean a Baylor student was irreligious or a bad Christian. It simply meant the student didn’t subscribe to—or, at the very least, was questioning toward—all of the very conservative dictates of the Southern Baptist Convention."

emphasis mine

in other words, young adults were forbidden to dance and some made fun of what some saw as the pompous, enforced religiosity, not the faith, of the school.

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
:cool:
While the liberal facists at pageonekentucky and BFP continue to cheerlead and stand behind this sickening ad. The Man himself who investigated and broke the Aqua Buddha story shows his disgust and disdain for Jack Conway's "despicable" ad and defends Dr. Rand Paul

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/78475/vile-ad-kentucky-senate-conway-paul

Interesting article.

I didn't know much about Conway until today. I haven't followed or donated to the campaign since the primary.

However, I watched the Chris Matthews interview with Conway, and he comes off as such a complete jackass/sleaze that I'm going to http://www.randpaul2010.com/ and make a donation!

sailingaway
10-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I like this quote, too:

"What it says is that, unlike so many politicians who cast themselves as outsiders, Paul is the real deal. Time and again throughout his life—first as a student at Baylor; then as a renegade ophthalmologist who tried to secede from the specialty’s leading professional organization in protest of its membership rules; and finally as a Senate candidate who ran against the state’s Republican establishment in the GOP primary—Paul has demonstrated a profound lack of respect for authority and institutions. In this, he’s very different from the typical Republican senator. And if Paul makes it to Washington, it stands to reason that he’ll display a similar attitude toward the powers that be in the Senate Republican caucus, occasionally making Mitch McConnell look like Dean Wormer."

However, I have been thinking about why Rand DIDN'T just say 'when I was young and irresponsible I was young and irresponsible.' First, it is nonsense that he would have been able to leave it there. Other candidates aren't attacked as he is, and that is the simple truth.

But there is something else. I honestly came to believe Rand was standing on principle that candidates should not be asked about such things as adults and made to run on a college social record. I think it goes with his being one of only two doctors at his first practice to come out against the anonymous 'turning in' of doctors for substance abuse etc, saying you should be able to face your accuser. I think it is more like Bierfeldt (sp?) refusing to tell TSA where the money he was carrying came from when he was carrying a box of money for Campaign for Liberty. He was defending not just his rights but his principles of what standards should be applied to everyone. I think it would ultimately have been easier to do what is now being said he should have done in a desperate attempt to pin some of the blame for Jacks' commercial on Rand. But he didn't do it.

Pennsylvania
10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Dripping Rain, welcome back man!