PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul refuses to shake hands with opponent Conway after debate

Rael
10-18-2010, 09:42 PM
LOUISVILLE — A debate filled with unabashed personal attacks concluded Sunday night with Republican Rand Paul briskly brushing past Democrat Jack Conway, refusing to shake the hand of an opponent who raised questions about his religious beliefs.

"Jack, have you no decency? Have you no shame?" Paul asked Conway during the fourth of five scheduled debates between Kentucky's U.S. Senate candidates.

Paul said Conway's actions were "a disgrace" that should disqualify Conway from the heated contest Kentuckians will decide Nov. 2.

Paul's initial comments in the debate focused on a Conway TV ad that began airing over the weekend that says that while in college at Baylor University, Paul was in a secret brotherhood that mocked Christianity. It also alleged that he tied up a woman while in college and forced her to bow down to a god named "Aqua Buddha."

The ad is based on articles about Paul's days at Baylor that have appeared in GQ magazine, The Washington Post and Politico.com in recent weeks and months.

The ad has caused the race to descend "into the gutter," said Paul, who described himself as "a pro-life Christian." He recited biblical Scripture from the Book of Mark, asking Conway what does it profit a man to gain the world if he loses his soul?

Conway said the ad raises legitimate questions about Paul's values and repeatedly challenged Paul to answer two questions: Why did he join a college society, the NoZe Brotherhood, that mocked Christianity, and when is it appropriate to tie up a woman and make her bow down to "Aqua Buddha"?

Paul, a Bowling Green eye surgeon making his first bid for public office, did not answer Conway's questions. Instead, he suggested people could tell Conway, the state's attorney general, was lying because his lips were moving.

Matt Collins
10-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Source / link?

MelissaCato
10-19-2010, 12:21 AM
I think I would have done the same thing, only faithfully flipped him the bird going off stage.

Crazy, how Americans think now adays. :eek:

YeeeeHawwwwwww Mudder Phuckers !!!!

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

~~~~ Samuel Adams :eek::eek::eek:

EndDaFed
10-19-2010, 02:10 AM
He pulled a Collins. Now that is pimp.

Rael
10-19-2010, 02:11 AM
I think I would have done the same thing, only faithfully flipped him the bird going off stage.

Crazy, how Americans think now adays. :eek:

YeeeeHawwwwwww Mudder Phuckers !!!!

~~~~ Samuel Adams :eek::eek::eek:

I might have too. Although I don't believe in religion I can understand him being pissed.

Conway is going to lose anyway. I hope Rand Paul lives up to my expectations.

squarepusher
10-19-2010, 02:38 AM

lol

legion
10-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Conway reiterated the accusations made in the ad against Paul. "Why did he freely join a group known for mocking, for making fun of people with faith?"

I didn't know Paul was running as a democrat?

payme_rick
10-19-2010, 06:02 AM
you for sure don't shake hands after that...

anyone every tried "bowing" while tied-up? more like a face-plant...

Yieu
10-19-2010, 06:10 AM

My first thought.

Matt Collins
10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
he pulled a collins. Now that is pimp.

my first thought.

:d:d:d:d:d

MikeStanart
10-19-2010, 08:00 AM

I lol'd :D

pcosmar
10-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't have shaken his hand either.

I wouldn't likely do anything while there were witnesses.
;)

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 09:39 AM
I think giving Conway a subtle "fuck you, asshole" by not shaking hands was appropriate.

Matt Collins
10-19-2010, 09:46 AM
I think giving Conway a subtle "fuck you, asshole" by not shaking hands was appropriate.

The irony of this is amazing....It reminds me of the following song:

(beware vulgar lyrics)
YouTube - The Handshake - Bad Religion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHMHVKpl9w)

Ekrub
10-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Can someone fill me in on this fabled Collins non-handshake?

legion
10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Can someone fill me in on this fabled Collins non-handshake?

He didn't pet the state weasel, Zack Wamp, and the Davidson County (Nashville) RNC got pissed and kicked him out of the VP chair position.

Brett85
10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I think this might have been what brought down Rand in the polls.

Matt Collins
10-19-2010, 03:51 PM
He didn't pet the state weasel, Zack Wamp, and the Davidson County (Nashville) RNC got pissed and kicked him out of the VP chair position.
Sort of kind of.

I wasn't actually thrown out of the GOP nor was my position taken. Their vote to purge me was invalid but I decided to leave anyway so that I could focus on other more important projects.