PDA

View Full Version : Texans: Who will you be voting for in November?

RileyE104
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
I know I will be voting for;

Governor - K. Glass
Comptroller - Mary Ruwart
Dist. 22 - Steve Susman
State Agricultural Commissioner - Rick Donaldson

I DO NOT know who I will be voting for;

Lt. Governor - ?
Attorney General - ? (I wanted to vote for Barry Cooper but IDK if he's still running)
State Land Commissioner - ?
State Railroad Commissioner - ?

Also, the following apply to where I live:
TEXAS LEGISLATURE
Senate: District 11
Representative: District 129
Board of Exucation: District 7

Please help me find some good candidates!

RileyE104
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I would also like to vote for people running as justice/judge, but idk what court I'm supposed to be voting for... Is there a way to find that out? I'm not sure if I'll be able to vote for the people running for those positions because IDK if I'm in their "district" or whatever it's called for courts.

Natalie
10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
//

FrankRep
10-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I will be voting for the Libertarian in every position. But if there is no Libertarian, I will vote for the Republican. This is the voting technique I always use, lol.
Why did Ron Paul run as a Republican? Why is Ron Paul currently in office?

V4Vendetta
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I have no idea - who all is running for governor? Is there a website that shows whos running for what in Texas?

Mary Ruwart is running for comptroller?

Natalie
10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
//

FrankRep
10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Idk, but I used to live in Ron Paul's district. I voted for him for Congress the first time I ever voted (2006). I voted straight Libertarian, except for Ron Paul ;)
I wish Libertarians would wake up and follow Ron Paul's lead. Just run as a Republican.

Natalie
10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
//

Dr.3D
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
I know right?!!! The Libertarian Party is a waste of time. We would totally dominate if all the Libertarians just ran as Republicans.

Them not running as Republicans is probably the reason the so called Republicans are not really Republicans. (not conservative in the least)

RileyE104
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
I know right?!!! The Libertarian Party is a waste of time. We would totally dominate if all the Libertarians just ran as Republicans.

I like Libertarian as a philosophy. It's too bad more candidates don't run with that philosophy and take the Republican Party by storm.

FrankRep
10-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I like Libertarian as a philosophy. It's too bad more candidates don't run with that philosophy and take the Republican Party by storm.

Ron Paul on Running as a Republican
YouTube - Who Inspired Ron Paul to Run as a Republican? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQqQDFkxFqw)

Number19
10-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I first met Tom and Kathy Glass back in '79 in the young Libertarian movement in Houston. She has my vote.

Bman
10-18-2010, 08:34 PM
I will be voting for the Libertarian in every position. But if there is no Libertarian, I will vote for the Republican. This is the voting technique I always use, lol.

I'm sure there's a few of us in here that use this technique.

Number19
10-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I like Libertarian as a philosophy. It's too bad more candidates don't run with that philosophy and take the Republican Party by storm.The time just wasn't right, the past 30 years. RP pulled it off because he delivered 4,000 babies in Brazoria County. You'll see this happening a bit more often in the near future. The time is now right.

CaseyJones
10-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Texas Governor?
The Answer Is As Clear As Glass :)

Zatch
10-18-2010, 08:40 PM
bump

Kotin
10-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Ruwart for Comptroller!!!!!!!! Wooooooo

smithtg
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
The time just wasn't right, the past 30 years. RP pulled it off because he delivered 4,000 babies in Brazoria County. You'll see this happening a bit more often in the near future. The time is now right.

RP is an exception in TX. TX is still 'good ole boys' in the rural and RINO areas. How else would dubya get elected?

I live in RP's district and laugh about how the corrupt OBOTs run galveston county but the voters still put RP in by landslides every time

james1906
10-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Glass for sure. Probably Libertarian for the rest of the offices. All the judge positions, I don't know.

If you live in Houston proper, get those damn red light cameras gone!

lynnf
10-19-2010, 02:40 AM

Governor - K. Glass
Dist. 22 - Steve Susman

Lt. Governor - ?
Attorney General - ? (I wanted to vote for Barry Cooper but IDK if he's still running)

TEXAS LEGISLATURE

here's a link to your sample ballot, you can pick off the judicial candidates names and do a web search to find their websites if they have one.

http://harrisvotes.com/Sample_b/SampleBallot_ENG.pdf

Imperial
10-19-2010, 02:59 AM
I hear the Republican for Land Commissioner is pretty good.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Those in the LP do not run as GOP because they were purged out of the GOP in 1969. The GOP is dominated by Buckleyites and Kristolians. Good luck getting a majority in that party. At this point I don't think enough of the population wants to stop looting each other, so best bet is to get all the libertarians to move to the same area so we can at least have one refuge when the country collapses.

Also, go Mary! :p

Bern
10-19-2010, 08:26 AM
This voter guide from the DMN is pretty neat. Pick a race and select two candidates from the list to compare their stances:

http://www8.thevoterguide.org/v/dallas/race-index.do

payme_rick
10-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I have no effin clue except for congress, which is a no-brainer since I'm in RP's district... My county's JOP is a tough one, might go with the dem there...

MikeStanart
10-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Governor - K. Glass
Dist. 22 - Steve Susman

Lt. Governor - ?

TEXAS LEGISLATURE

For you people in Harris County (Houston and surrounding areas)

Stan Stanart for Harris County Clerk! Thats my dad, folks!

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
I wish Libertarians would wake up and follow Ron Paul's lead. Just run as a Republican.

Your comment isn't very realistic.

Texas has 32 House districts. Republicans are contending most of those districts.

There is a grand total of ONE libertarian Republican running on the GOP ticket that I know of (Ron Paul)- all the rest are typical Republicans- neocons, extreme social conservatives, big government Republicans.

For the other districts that are held by Republicans, there is almost no chance for an upstart libertarian Republican to beat the incumbent establishment Republican- so if there is a libertarian leaning person who wants to be on the ballot, he has to run as a Libertarian. If you are a candidate who is well known, has a lot of connections and a million dollars to spend, maybe you have a shot- otherwise forget it.

The same is true of seats in open districts that are competitive- the GOP will support an establishment candidate to run against the Dem.

There is a chance that libertarians can run as Republicans in the "throw away" districts- those that are Gerrymandered into guaranteed Democratic seats- the Republicans generally run amateur candidates in these districts and give them no funding because they know there is no chance to win. Libertarians (small "l") could run in those districts- but if you are going to lose anyway, and you are libertarian, why not just run as a Libertarian rather than as a Republican?

There are some libertarians who tried to run as Republicans, including one in my district. They all lost to establishment candidates.

So now I have a choice of voting for a big government liberal Dem, a big government neocon Republican, or a Libertarian.

My vote is going to the Libertarian. I'll be voting for every Libertarian on the ballot. For those races with no Libertarian, I MAY vote Republican- I did that for many years, but these days I'm so disillusioned with the Republican Party, I may just leave the ballot blank.

I will also be voting for myself for TX State Rep. (running as a Libertarian, of course). I'm running against a Dem incumbent in a district the Republicans aren't even contending. Maybe I could have run as a Republican in this throw away district, but to do so I'd have to get mixed up in the vile morass of Republican politics and I'd have to (uggh!) call myself a Republican- I'd rather not.

I'm a libertarian, not a damned Republican. While I spend most of my life as a Republican, I find myself disagreeing with the Party on an ever widening array of issues.

I'm not a war monger, I don't believe the government should legislate morality, I don't support ever expanding government, I don't support a police state to "keep us safe", I don't support restricting the free choice of adult citizens- and these are all core Republican principals- I'm not going to pretend to support this crap just to get a few more votes!

Natalie
10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
//

libertarian4321
10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
My last post was a bit of a rant.

Sorry about that, but at this point, I firmly believe THE REPUBLICAN PARTY SUCKS BALLS!

That wasn't very eloquent, but you get the point.

MikeStanart
10-19-2010, 09:58 PM
AN unshameful bump!

CaseyJones
10-19-2010, 10:02 PM
http://lptexas.org/content/current-candidates