PDA

View Full Version : Statement from Ryan Frazier's campaign about declaring war

Knightskye
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
One of Andrew Breitbart's websites yesterday had a bunch of videos about black Republicans running for Congress. One of them is Ryan Frazier, running in Colorado. While checking out the issues on his campaign site, I noticed that he used the phrase "authorize the use of military force" instead of "declare war." So I e-mailed the campaign, and today I got a response.

It is true that the Constitution gives Congress the power to declare war, but the president is the commander-in-chief and does have the authority to deploy troops. Congress is in charge of the purse strings and therefore can defund it at any point. This system allows for checks and balances.

That seems... wrong.

What do you guys think?

torchbearer
10-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I think there is a law that allows a 30 day emergency deployment that must be followed by action of congress.
the problem with this law is- once you stick your troops into a trouble area, its kinda hard for the congress to go behind them and pull them right back out. (politically)

Knightskye
10-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Ron Paul has said if it's imminent, the President can deploy troops. But Iraq wasn't an imminent threat. It wasn't even a threat.

AGRP
10-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Breitbart is essentially a neo-con tilted site.

Ever notice any true constitutionalists there?

Knightskye
10-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Breitbart is essentially a neo-con tilted site.

Ever notice any true constitutionalists there?

On the "Big Government"site... sort of.

Nick Gillespie infrequently posts clips, and sometimes there's an article (about economics) by Veronique de Rugy.

But yeah, it's not like they'll let someone from Reason post a clip saying "neocons suck" to their face.