PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think all this forum activity is detrimental to helping Ron Paul?

theseus51
10-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I usually only post on here when I'm at work, and there's not much to do. I try to leave flyers everywhere, and do sign waiving and help with my meetup group whenever they have activities.

When I'm at work, I look at the forums, and wonder if any of this is really doing anything to help the campaign. Like posting articles and videos and what not. Or debating endlessly on what the campaign "should be doing" or complaining about fund-raising.

I think doing almost anything would be better than all this forum activity, that doesn't really advance the cause. I'm going to try spend more time leaving flyers everywhere and stuff, and less time on the forums, cause I think it'd be more productive.

UCFGavin
10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
you can't be out on the street all the time. this is a good place to discuss ideas and such.

Ibgamer
10-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Well it is a great place to recieve information and videos to share with others. Its also a great way to get organized and show a perspective on how well we are doing across the nation. This doesnt harm the campaign but helps quite signifigantly I would say

paulitics
10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I usually only post on here when I'm at work, and there's not much to do. I try to leave flyers everywhere, and do sign waiving and help with my meetup group whenever they have activities.

When I'm at work, I look at the forums, and wonder if any of this is really doing anything to help the campaign. Like posting articles and videos and what not. Or debating endlessly on what the campaign "should be doing" or complaining about fund-raising.

I think doing almost anything would be better than all this forum activity, that doesn't really advance the cause. I'm going to try spend more time leaving flyers everywhere and stuff, and less time on the forums, cause I think it'd be more productive.

yes your right. But every now and then a stroke of genius comes from these forums. Unfortunately, I don't live in NH, but want to help out the cause through here, by donating, and exchanging ideas. Im hoping more and more people unite together for the early primary states. My state sucks, because it is Giuliani territory.

DrNoZone
10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
It certainly doesn't harm it, but if all you do is spend time on these forums vs. doing some on the streets activism, then you should balance your time better. I'm guilty of this at times myself.

BarryDonegan
10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
this forum provides me a lot of encouragement.

terlinguatx
10-18-2007, 08:42 PM

American
10-18-2007, 08:43 PM
I think it has its uses, but nothing will take the place of good old fashioned campaigning foot soldiers.

This forum is full of anti Ron Paul people though, and for some its hard to tell who is who, which really pisses me off. The only thing I have to say about anyone who finds this forum and gets some of that bullshit then its not good.

To the new people who want to help, go to http://ronpaul2008.com there you can find campaigning material and all the real information you need. This is a public forum so we also gets the scum of the public who dont like Ron Paul as well.

Drknows
10-18-2007, 08:57 PM

Yes this forum is great! Its encouraged me to donate more plus gave me ideas and ron paul talking points. This forum is more valuable than you think. Just think of all the online/offline action that has taken place because of it. youtube videos, online polls, chipins, emailing, flyers, tv ads, radio.

heres a video you might not have watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNH4GlV01s

Besides every army needs a base.

Jordan
10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
This forum helps get me motivated to promote Ron Paul

Without this forum, I would have never handmade signs and plastered them all over my town.

michaelwise
10-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I consider this forum, the command and control center for the entire grassroots campaign. From the birth of ideas, to the dissemination of, the up to the minute news and information concerning the campaign. This forum is priceless.

ValidusCustodiae
10-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Donegan you said it bro.

runderwo
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
The forum gets me motivated and gives me more ideas on how to EFFICIENTLY reach the maximum number of people with Dr. Paul's message.

JoshLowry
10-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I spend too much time here, it's detrimental to my social life. :p

paulitics
10-18-2007, 09:15 PM
this forum is detrimental to my sleep.

runderwo
10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
this forum is detrimental to my sleep.

agreed :eek:

JaylieWoW
10-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Given my current situation (not able to get out all that much), this forum helps me tremendously in talking about him to others. I get out some when I can, but I've converted several acquaintances from ways of talking about him I learned from here... so absolutely this forum ROCKS in my book!

ValidusCustodiae
10-18-2007, 10:00 PM
so absolutely this forum ROCKS in my book!

Agreed, and so does your quote, I really like that one.

Cindy
10-18-2007, 10:16 PM
I think it helps tremendously. I became more active and started donating money AFTER I was here for a bit. This is a great place to get and give informational resources to share with others from, Inspiration, and experiences with what ideas are working and what's not.

Coming here frequently helps keep me focussed on what little time we have left to do a lot. Without this forum, I would easily get caught back up in the mundane day to day I think, and do less and give less.

If anyone thinks it is not helping them to get out there and campaign and donate more, then, they should stop spending time here.

I also think it helps the tired and weary to come here and get a lot of support, feedback, appreciation and encouragement from others for all they are doing.

This forum is a vital cog in the wheel of the Freedom train taking RP to the White house.

Thanks to those who put it up and maintain it and to those who contribute all they do to make it the BEST RON PAUL forum on the Internet!!!

theseus51
10-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Hmm, ok, well I guess as long as it's helping more than hurting. I think the forums are great too, and I like reading stuff, but I think sometimes we have too much fun here. Like it's more a social hang out, where we spend hours and hours and hours a day.

I'll try cut back, maybe 30-60 minutes a day is good for me. Or at least that's what I'll try to stick to from now on.

DjLoTi
10-18-2007, 10:22 PM
The whole movement is growing quite a bit.

Paul4Prez
10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
The forum is great, just make sure to hit the real world, too. (Not to mention other websites.)

There are some under-utilized sections on this forum -- like "Strategies for Success" and "Member Works" and the like. Also, the state primary sections should be seeing a lot more activity very soon....

Pete
10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
The forum's great. I have collected videos that I mix and match for different people and can argue pretty effectively for the whole platform.

The downsides are on work (I'm self-employed) and home life!

davidhperry
10-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Like any good thing, if it's taken to the extreme then it becomes a bad thing. This site is a great way for people to connect and collaborate but I don't think that people should obsess over it.

Primbs
10-18-2007, 11:17 PM
The forum provides great ideas.

dmitchell
10-18-2007, 11:20 PM
No, but bombarding people with angry email is detrimental. That sort of thing has blowback.

M.Bellmore
10-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Well since the official campaign cannot provide grassroots support, this is it! The meetups "sort of" work, but at least for me, sporadic. This forum is where the great ideas come from. Look at all the NH stuff that's going on! You'd never hear about ANY of it if all you had to rely on was the meetups.

robatsu
10-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I think that this forum has provided an invaluable function for the grassroots, a horizontal across the vertical meetups, local orgs. Some really terrific stuff has come out of this, things that would cost a huge amount of money for a traditional campaign in terms of quality, etc. Sure, there is some inefficiency, but overall, the process/economics of it are pretty efficient.

Something to consider - a lot of significant activity has come out of this and meetups, etc. with absolutely no guidance from official campaign. And you know what, no faux pas, big gaffes, etc. That's pretty amazing when you consider that most of the people (myself first and foremost) are political amateurs and we're basically all running around amok. Having forums really is a moderating influence, good ideas rise to the top, bad ideas sink to the bottom, no traction. I started getting real interested in the dynamics of this unofficial campaign around the Iowa straw poll, compared it to open source dev efforts, which similarly produce pretty good stuff.

Without these kinds of support activities, it is hard for me to see how RP would have gotten any traction - not that the ideas aren't cool, but these forums have been critical in people forming relationships, bypassing the media & official channels to take charge of their campaigns themselves.

sedele
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
For me personally, this forum has helped clear up issues that i wasn't too sure of or informed about.

The best things about this forum are for example: organizing the Philly rally, the mosaic ads, sharing battle stories, Being encouraged, ect, ect.

The bad things are the negative, defeatest mentalites that you get sometimes and the trolls.

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 08:50 AM
This forum is an asset. It is a big asset. However, people simply need to be going out and doing stuff in the real world as well.