PDA

View Full Version : CVS to pay $77.6 million in meth case

kahless
10-14-2010, 08:29 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/14/news/companies/cvs_meth/index.htm?hpt=T2

"This case shows what happens when companies fail to follow their ethical and legal responsibilities," said U.S. Attorney André Birotte Jr. "CVS knew it had a duty to prevent methamphetamine trafficking, but it failed to take steps to control the sale of a regulated drug used by methamphetamine cooks as an essential ingredient for their poisonous stew."

I am personally very much against meth and drug use. The actions of the dealers and cooks is morally reprehensible. But to go after CVS for $77.6 million since they did not behave like DEA agents makes me knee jerk response that the US government's actions are just as criminal. I am assuming a company of that size has a significant cash reserve for litigation. If not, I wonder how many jobs will be lost due to CVS having to pay out that kind of money.

^Am I missing something here with this belief? On one hand I am outraged at the government's actions and on the other I think about all the lives destroyed by such a horrible drug.

HOLLYWOOD
10-14-2010, 08:37 PM
So, instead of someone going to jail or serving community service for wrong doings... the government steals $78 Million from CVS... which they'll writeoff against their earnings.

Well people... look for prices at CVS to be $78 million higher... :rolleyes:

oyarde
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
So, instead of someone going to jail or serving community service for wrong doings... the government steals $78 Million from CVS... which they'll writeoff against their earnings.

That is correct .

kahless
10-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I struggle with this part of Libertarian beliefs since on one hand I do not believe businesses should have to be bothered with such regulation nor be penalized. Leave it up to the business to decide issues of morality of selling in such quantities and whom they will and will not sell to.

On the other hand, meth is so dam destructive that by selling in such quantities you are giving people a license to kill themselves or others and being a threat to society around them. So why not have regulations in place to prevent such sales.

This is unlike a hand gun that can be used for a variety of reasons other than suicide. I do not know maybe I am selfish for not wanting to be inconvenienced to. The last time I needed Sudafed I had to wait in-line and fill out a form. We all how much pharmacy employees want to spend their time trading individual Sudafed boxes with you so you can compare and which one will work best. That can't be good for Sudafed sales.

Anti Federalist
10-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Yeah, and cold medicine to be next to impossible to acquire.

Fuckin' tweekers.:D

YouTube - Primus - Those damned blue collar tweekers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1C2SFrwdq0)

tangent4ronpaul
10-14-2010, 09:16 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=263500&page=3

post 22

I picked up some pseudafed recently as I was at the pharmacy for something else and was otherwise out of it. It's a great decongestant that my family has used as long as I remember. Nothing else works as well.

The whole process with the log and ID the clerk filling out 5-6 fields took 5 minutes. There were 15 entries per page and a good half inch of pages had been filled out - double sided. You can do the math. Talk about an unfunded mandate on a business! - not to mention a customers time.

I asked the clerk if she thought this actually helped. She said "it's the law".

Also because of meth they took draino off the shelves for a while. It was being used to adjust pH in meth recipes - like nothing else will do that :rolleyes: The chem they tried to replace it with was so abysmal at unclogging plumbing they had to bring draino back.

F'ing jack booted regulators and nanny state know it alls!

-t

Mach
10-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Sounds like a pyramid scheme dictatorship to me.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-15-2010, 02:14 AM
I struggle with this part of Libertarian beliefs since on one hand I do not believe businesses should have to be bothered with such regulation nor be penalized. Leave it up to the business to decide issues of morality of selling in such quantities and whom they will and will not sell to.

Not that I have any sympathy for CVS because the are certainly part of the competition stifling lobby machine... but how hard would you be struggling if it was your business and you had to write a $78 million dollar check?

RonPaulwillWin
10-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Bad news considering the weekend is coming up. Is 7-11 public?

james1906
10-15-2010, 02:47 AM
So the DEA is now shaking down corporations to get money to fuel the war on drugs?

johngr
10-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Methamphetamine is an artifact of drugs laws. When far less toxic and harmful Dexidrine was widely available, meth was almost unheard of.