PDA

View Full Version : Did First Lady Michelle Obama Violate Illinois Election Law?

FrankRep
10-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Did First Lady Michelle Obama Violate Illinois Election Law? (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-the-first-lady-violate-illinois-election-law/)

The Blaze
October 14, 2010

First Lady Michelle Obama stopped in at the Martin Luther King Center on Chicago’s south side Thursday to cast her early vote for the upcoming November midterm elections. But reports from the scene suggest Mrs. Obama may have engaged in political discussion at the polling place — a big no-no according to state election law.

Full Story:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-the-first-lady-violate-illinois-election-law/

zade
10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Oh come on, who cares

Bruno
10-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh come on, who cares

You're right. Let the Obamas violate whatever laws they want to.

FrankRep
10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
http://drudgereport.com/siren.gif

Drudge Report:

FIRST LADY CAMPAIGNS INSIDE POLLING PLACE (http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm)

kpfareal
10-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I just read that on Drudge.

What really stood out to me:

"A top Ilinois State Board of Elections official tells the DRUDGE REPORT that Mrs. Obama -- a Harvard-educated lawyer -- may have simply been ignorant of the law and thus violated it unintentionally.

"You kind of have to drop the standard for the first lady, right?" the official explained late Thursday. "I mean, she's pretty well liked and probably doesn't know what she's doing."

kahless
10-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Most people know not to that but they are passing it off as she was ignorant of the law. Such BS since she has a Harvard law degree so how could she not know the law in this case. Probably more like she feels she is above the law.

If it was a Republican, the media would be all over it and there would be a public outcry for prosecution.

CountryboyRonPaul
10-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh come on, who cares

Yeah, she has earned the privilige to get away with things that may get any of us arrested. :rolleyes:

Politically connected people should be subject to more scrutiny than civilians, not less.

sluggo
10-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I just read that on Drudge.

What really stood out to me:

"A top Ilinois State Board of Elections official tells the DRUDGE REPORT that Mrs. Obama -- a Harvard-educated lawyer -- may have simply been ignorant of the law and thus violated it unintentionally.

"You kind of have to drop the standard for the first lady, right?" the official explained late Thursday. "I mean, she's pretty well liked and probably doesn't know what she's doing."

She was a lawyer, right?

MikeStanart
10-14-2010, 07:56 PM
She deserves a ticket just like anyone else.

zade
10-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Why isn't this a free speech issue?

oyarde
10-14-2010, 08:10 PM

Do you think people should be able to solicit votes while you are standing in line ?

Bruno
10-14-2010, 08:10 PM

Because it is an election law issue she violated.

specsaregood
10-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Maybe it should be. Has she voiced or supported removing these laws? Let her lead the way.

qh4dotcom
10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Do you think people should be able to solicit votes while you are standing in line ?

As long as you don't violate anyone's rights by doing so then yes.

Mini-Me
10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
It should certainly be considered a free speech issue, but it's double-standards like this that keep the political class insulated and out of touch with the injustice of the very laws they write and enforce.

Wolverine302
10-14-2010, 11:33 PM
you have a bunch of people with different political views meeting together in one area, anyone who lacks the common sense to see why there should be any rules about political discussions in a voting area need to re-examine themselves.

Kregisen
10-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I've always thought this was a huge bitchslap to free speech.

Someone here locally wasn't allowed to vote because she had a tea party themed t-shirt on.

This is fucking ridiculous. Why shouldn't you be allowed to talk?

If someone has absolutely no idea why they're voting for something, and change their vote last second because someone talks them into it, THEY SHOULDN'T BE VOTING TO BEGIN WITH.

And of course partisen politics means if someone high up i.e. the first lady dares talk about politics when voting, the other party will be all over it...

Just shut the fuck up. This is one of the stupidest laws I've seen, and one EVERY person on these forums should want to get rid of.

Mini-Me
10-14-2010, 11:48 PM
you have a bunch of people with different political views meeting together in one area, anyone who lacks the common sense to see why there should be any rules about political discussions in a voting area need to re-examine themselves.

Why isn't it anything that, "Don't shoot/stab/hit each other, don't harass or intimidate people, and keep your voice at indoor levels," can't solve? Besides, there's a difference between rules (break them and you get kicked out) and laws (break them and you incur the wrath of the state...unless you're in the political class).

Wolverine302
10-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Why isn't it anything that, "Don't shoot/stab/hit each other, don't harass or intimidate people, and keep your voice at indoor levels," can't solve? Besides, there's a difference between rules (break them and you get kicked out) and laws (break them and you incur the wrath of the state...unless you're in the political class).

because you cant compromise the integrity of the voting process. the last thing you want is people slowing down the process. and people will always be people.

devil21
10-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Where's that recent YAL video of them handing out "programs" from Obama's U-Wisconsin visit? How fast would those people have ended up in jail for doing the exact same thing that Michelle did at a polling place?

Fuck her. She knows she's breaking the law but the royal family is never responsible for their actions. This much has become clear.

edit: heres the vid
YouTube - YAL UW-Madison crashes Obama Rally (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ILj9Z6rCI)

Promontorium
10-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Well I can see why it shouldn't be a law, let the poll workers decide if someone is being detrimental . And no, I don't think it's logical to allow anyone any amount of time to stand next to voters telling them who they need to vote for, the polling place would quickly fill up with assholes yelling their nonesense, so law no, but regulation, yes, because voting is the purpose, and if you're in there being a douchebag I'd rather have someone hauled out for
harrassment than being scared away.

But fuck if you're being "pro-liberty" by suggesting it's cool for the president's wife to break te law, with everyone making excuses for her, while the average guy is 100% guilty, ignorance isn't an excuse. The President, and subsequently his crew, should at least be held to the same standard, and if the government had any honor, they wouldn't excuse the behavior, and if Obama had any honor he would champion this as example for a need to allow others the same liberty.

The outrage isn't that she talked, your snarky "who cares" is irrelevant. The outrage is the special treament. And god damnit, if you think no one should care about that, you are lost.

Zippyjuan
10-15-2010, 01:49 AM
On the video in the original post link the only thing I hear her say is to "make sure everybody's voting early". That is not campaigning since there was no suggestion for how anybody should vote. No promoting any candidate or issue. Blown way out of proportion based on that.

Mini-Me
10-15-2010, 10:05 AM
because you cant compromise the integrity of the voting process. the last thing you want is people slowing down the process. and people will always be people.

Perhaps, but the latter point stands regardless: Rules that you follow to not get kicked out are different from laws you follow to not get raped by the government.

oyarde
10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
As long as you don't violate anyone's rights by doing so then yes.

I would not care for it .

devil21
10-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Allow electioneering of any sort at a polling place and you'll quickly see why it's NOT allowed. A circus would ensue.

oyarde
10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Allow electioneering of any sort at a polling place and you'll quickly see why it's NOT allowed. A circus would ensue.

I think so . I go on my way to work . I just want to vote and go. I am usually only on my second cup of coffee , so I really would not be interested in conversation while in line .