PDA

View Full Version : In a facebook debate, does this come off as too harsh?

Ekrub
10-13-2010, 11:03 AM
1) Given that our country is the most charitable in the world, I'm sure that under a free market system where prices of these services would plumet, people would be able to have all these services. And as I've already said, I'm fine with a tiny bit of voluntary collectivism, just as close to home as possible. But to think that one man has a right to another man's income is asinine. You have a right to your life, your liberty, your property, and to to keep the fruits of your labor. People so obsessed with providing the poor services they can't afford ought to be giving their entire expendable income to people who can't afford these things, instead of requiring others to do it for them.

Does this come off as too harsh?

Modern_Matthew
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
No. But this is coming from someone that has been called pretentious in Facebook debates. :D

Bruno
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Does this come off as too harsh?

No, I don't think so. But for some, anything more than "I loves me some french fries!" is too harsh on facebook.

Acala
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't think so. But then I probably come off as too harsh at times. Especially when I just punch people who disagree with me.

AuH20
10-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Liberals in the past have derogatorily called me a sociopath, after I told them that health care and education aren't a right. :D

snewbie
10-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Anything of any substance seems to be too harsh on FB. People that I know arent shallow and stupid get on there and suddenly become that.

ravedown
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
possibly, but that's because its in the context of a facebook post. it makes total sense and is very well said...and like you- ive argued that i'd also reluctantly go along with very local collectivist ideas like public assistance as long as other wasteful programs were eliminated...and rather than receiving a response of " i respect your view, clearly you have researched the issue and formulated a position based on reason and logic" people would rather respond with, "whatever, go listen to hannity you tea-bag racist."

Acala
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I have had one argument on Facebook. It was when that "healthcare is a right thing was going around. I made my usual spiel and some guy I never met said something like "Well then I guess you would want to abolish the VA and Social Security too?" I guess he thought I was some mealy-mouthed Romney Republican and was going to back off. Instead I ripped Social Security and the VA and demanded that he show me a program that actually works! Silence.

ravedown
10-13-2010, 11:38 AM
i like patton oswalts humor, and follow him on facebook- but when he drops some bitter ultra-lefty political points and someone tries to comment from a different position, its really fun/sad to watch that person completely crushed and piled on by the statist lemmings and their brutally harsh responses.

AuH2O
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
If you swap out "asinine" it isn't harsh at all.

JamesButabi
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
If you swap out "asinine" it isn't harsh at all.

Good call.....maybe use immoral or unethical. Its pretty timid as far as im concerned.

ClayTrainor
10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't think so. But then I probably come off as too harsh at times. Especially when I just punch people who disagree with me.

NAP Violation! :p

surf
10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
i'd emphasize that charity giving is wonderful, both for the giver and receiver (some even refer to charitable giving as selfish). but i'd also add something of detail about the defficencies of gov't in the charity arena.

Acala
10-13-2010, 01:07 PM
NAP Violation! :p

Even if they disagree with me? And are asinine and ugly and would probably punch me first given a chance because they hate my freedom?

denison
10-13-2010, 03:15 PM
printing off (inflated, increasingly worthless) fiat bills and handing them out to victims you've bombed is not charity. :rolleyes:

phill4paul
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
No, I don't think so. But for some, anything more than "I loves me some french fries!" is too harsh on facebook.

LOL. Friends had to constantly remind me that it is a "social" networking site not an "anti-social" networking site.
I stay off the damn thing these days.

One Last Battle!
10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
People on Facebook whine. Facebook is like the area between the true Internet and Reality, where people are willing to make dopey jokes but aren't yet willing to become thick skinned and troll. Compared to the rest of the internet, it is incredibly easy to piss people off on Facebook, probably since they haven't been desensitized yet. At any rate, this is the internet. There is no such thing as "too harsh".

oyarde
10-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Liberals in the past have derogatorily called me a sociopath, after I told them that health care and education aren't a right. :D

Crap , I did not know I was a sociopath :D .

oyarde
10-13-2010, 03:49 PM
i'd emphasize that charity giving is wonderful, both for the giver and receiver (some even refer to charitable giving as selfish). but i'd also add something of detail about the defficencies of gov't in the charity arena.

I give my church one dollar , they give it to someone , that person recieves one dollar . The govt. takes one dollar from me to give to another , a person gets twenty cents . The other 80 cents are used to pay for the govt employee and building needed to distibute what they have stolen from me .

Chieppa1
10-13-2010, 04:19 PM
charity with another person's money is still theft.

I've won every debate in which I pulled out at gem.

mczerone
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Even if they disagree with me? And are asinine and ugly and would probably punch me first given a chance because they hate my freedom?

Did George W. Bush get a RPF account? :cool:

Jcambeis
10-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I am fine with any form or degree of voluntary collectivism no matter how far from home it is.

Ekrub
10-13-2010, 05:39 PM
yeah that sounded stupid. What I meant was I am fine with voluntary collectivism, and if you MUST HAVE collectivism at all make it as close to home as possible.

Hallamaat
10-13-2010, 06:09 PM
i like patton oswalts humor, and follow him on facebook- but when he drops some bitter ultra-lefty political points and someone tries to comment from a different position, its really fun/sad to watch that person completely crushed and piled on by the statist lemmings and their brutally harsh responses.

Yeah, I follow Patton as well and I've seen this before too. The most common insult I see thrown around in those threads is "UR A RACIST RETHUGLICAN...um...RACIST!!!!!!" Patton is a smart guy and it surprises me that he hasn't acknowledged (from what I've seen) that Obama and the D's are keeping on with the wars and that Obama reauthorized the Patriot Act. Those are 2 big things that he always railed on Bush for.

Nick DiPaolo OTOH posts some conservative jokes and talking points on his own page every once in a while and I've seen a few people hit him there too by telling him to stick to comedy and stop talking about political views that they don't agree with.