PDA

View Full Version : Will Ron Paul get the Chairmen position of the House Financial Subcommittee?

libertybrewcity
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Or will Republicans not allow it?
Ron Paul is next in line!!!

Excerpt from NY Times:
None of them has gone as far, though, as Mr. Paul’s father, Representative Ron Paul, a Texas Republican and libertarian activist who is seeking to abolish the central bank. (His 2009 book, “End the Fed,” is popular in Tea Party circles.) The senior Mr. Paul, who ran for president in 2008, is in line to lead a House subcommittee that oversees the Fed if Republicans win control of that chamber in November.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/us/politics/11fed.html?_r=2&scp=2&sq=federal%20reserve&st=cse

Lord Xar
10-12-2010, 10:49 PM
They will absolutely NOT allow it.

Trust me, shennanigans will be in full force and he will be denied OR it will fold into a "new committee" or some such....

I think him "not" getting it would be grounds for a revolution.... or a MASSIVE campaign to expose it.

Philhelm
10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
I voted "no". :(

Reason
10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
/hope

amy31416
10-12-2010, 11:50 PM
In 2003, his seniority put him in line to chair the subcommittee that oversees the Federal Reserve. To deny him, Republican leaders merged two committees. In 2005, he was again set to assume the top spot. With another merger impossible, a senior colleague was pressured onto the subcommittee so that she, and not Paul, would take the gavel.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/the-tea-party-8217-s-brain/8280/2/

I'd have to say that the answer is no, even though he is far more deserving than anyone I can think of. They'll do whatever it takes.

Bman
10-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I certainly think they will try to prevent it. We may have to make certain people's voice mail and email addresses full until they get exposed nationally.

Matt Collins
10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
The special interests have paid off enough of the congresscritters that it won't be allowed.

jclay2
10-13-2010, 12:36 AM
unfortunately, tptb will not have any of it. Could you imagine the bernanke interviews with rp in charge?

BenIsForRon
10-13-2010, 01:00 AM
I really have no clue.

How do committee chairs get decided on?

Michigan11
10-13-2010, 01:07 AM
They will absolutely NOT allow it.

Trust me, shennanigans will be in full force and he will be denied OR it will fold into a "new committee" or some such....

I think him "not" getting it would be grounds for a revolution.... or a MASSIVE campaign to expose it.

This is very interesting, and will be watching this very closely and forwarding the information to others, so they can also decide for themselves what is going on if in fact Ron does not recieve this position, if repubs take the majority.

Good post and I agree this would be grounds for revolution or exposing it to the masses....

newbitech
10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
the term "gadfly" didn't come from the MSM, it came from republican party leadership.

no he won't be chairing any committees. He'll still have his seniority tho, and you can bet he will have the ear of whoever is running that committee.

robertwerden
10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I think if Barney Frank does leave this november Ron should take his position on the committee and start seeding the process of ending the fed and restoring sound money. Then he will have the base supporting him in those efforts.
This would be an excellent launching point for 2012 if he actually affects the changes in the fed and treasury.

JamesButabi
10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I have a feeling schenanigans will be in full effect. He should use his outlets and make it a big deal if he really wants it.

specsaregood
10-13-2010, 08:58 AM
no he won't be chairing any committees. He'll still have his seniority tho, and you can bet he will have the ear of whoever is running that committee.

If seniority is also based on length of time ON a committee --which I understand it is-- then there isn't anybody else with more seniority that can replace him. They'll have to close the committee down again OR completely go against their own rules and standards.

rp08orbust
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
If they think they can lure Ron Paul out of a presidential run in 2011-2012, then maybe.

specsaregood
10-13-2010, 09:08 AM
If they think they can lure Ron Paul out of a presidential run in 2011-2012, then maybe.

Hrm......so what you are saying is there might be a reason for him to delay announcing...until committee assignments are made.

rp08orbust
10-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Hrm......so what you are saying is there might be a reason for him to delay announcing...until committee assignments are made.

Possibly. If he announced he were running in November, then that would be the excuse they would need to break their own rules.

Koz
10-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I think the party leadership can "decide" who they want running a committee. When Rangel got booted from Ways & Means that volatile guy from California (can't remember his name) was next senior and they passed over him in favor of someone else.

Unfortunately they will not let him be the chairman. They will close the committee down before that happens.

georgiaboy
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
What's so special about leading the committee? Do you get to set the agenda? Why would Ron want this position?

Theocrat
10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
If the Republicans win the House, then Congressman Paul will be the Chairman of that committee...unless the secret cohorts of the Fed implant a new intern for Dr. Paul who poisons his tea (no pun intended) in his office the day before he takes the seat in that committee...

Cherder
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Ron Paul is not next in line for the committee, although he is next in line for one of the subcommittees.

See my thread here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=263602

austrobrady
10-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Longtime lurker and first-time poster here. This is the thread that brought me out of the shadows. It’s surprising to see how many posters and poll participants think Boehner will dissolve the Domestic Monetary Policy subcommittee, the only way to deny Paul the Chairmanship. The unanimous Republican support for H.R. 1207 and the fact that auditing the Federal Reserve was one of three amendments Republicans tried to send back to the Conference Committee suggest a broad interest in Paul’s initiative. Republicans will be swept to power on the heels of voter’s dissatisfaction with the current spending and power grab by the Federal Government. The Audit The Fed was pushed by many Tea Partiers and Austro-libertarians; the Republicans responded and acted.

So how do act to secure the Chairmanship of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology for Doctor Paul?

Call your Representatives and advocate for Chairman Paul. Let’s try to organize some coordinated effort as well and shoot for 3 November to “Melt The Lines” action day.

Visualize Chairman Paul getting members to yield time and use his prerogative as Chair to grill the SecTreasury and Chairman of the Fed for scores of minutes.

erowe1
10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I really have no clue.

How do committee chairs get decided on?

By seniority. He is the ranking Republican member of that subcommittee. It's not the full Financial Services Committee, just the Domestic Monetary Policy subcommittee.

I think he'll be the next chairman of it. He has a lot more clout now than he did last time he was up for it, when Delay dissolved the subcommittee to prevent him from chairing it.

erowe1
10-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Longtime lurker and first-time poster here. This is the thread that brought me out of the shadows. It’s surprising to see how many posters and poll participants think Boehner will dissolve the Domestic Monetary Policy subcommittee, the only way to deny Paul the Chairmanship. The unanimous Republican support for H.R. 1207 and the fact that auditing the Federal Reserve was one of three amendments Republicans tried to send back to the Conference Committee suggest a broad interest in Paul’s initiative. Republicans will be swept to power on the heels of voter’s dissatisfaction with the current spending and power grab by the Federal Government. The Audit The Fed was pushed by many Tea Partiers and Austro-libertarians; the Republicans responded and acted.

So how do act to secure the Chairmanship of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology for Doctor Paul?

Call your Representatives and advocate for Chairman Paul. Let’s try to organize some coordinated effort as well and shoot for 3 November to “Melt The Lines” action day.

Visualize Chairman Paul getting members to yield time and use his prerogative as Chair to grill the SecTreasury and Chairman of the Fed for scores of minutes.

+1

People need to put the pressure on their Republican reps.

Bern
10-13-2010, 01:49 PM
There are a lot of Republican candidates seeking your votes right now. You might try asking them if they will support Ron Paul attaining chairmanship of the HFS.

TheTyke
10-13-2010, 01:49 PM
What's so special about leading the committee? Do you get to set the agenda? Why would Ron want this position?

Chairmen are EXTREMELY powerful. Possibly the most powerful aspect would be the ability to decide whether or not a bill passing through their committee even comes up for a vote - or ensure that good legislation DOES get a vote (hint: it usually doesn't even get that!) Additionally, I imagine the Chair has some influence over who talks, when, and procedural stuff like that.

Short of the presidential veto, this would be a dream position for someone like Ron Paul. It's a cause very worth fighting for.

Who exactly makes the decisions? This is a cause worth fighting for, but I wonder who specifically to contact.

freshjiva
10-13-2010, 01:53 PM
No way in hell Ron will get to be Chair of that committee. He's by far the most deserving, but the special interests at the Fed and the big banks will keep him out.

Cowlesy
10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
No, it'll be Spencer Bacchus I assume.

specsaregood
10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
There are a lot of Republican candidates seeking your votes right now. You might try asking them if they will support Ron Paul attaining chairmanship of the HFS.

Yes, perhaps we need a letter template we can send to our representatives and candidates confirming that they would be against closing the subcommittee and support his chairmanship.

erowe1
10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Chairmen are EXTREMELY powerful. Possibly the most powerful aspect would be the ability to decide whether or not a bill passing through their committee even comes up for a vote - or ensure that good legislation DOES get a vote (hint: it usually doesn't even get that!) Additionally, I imagine the Chair has some influence over who talks, when, and procedural stuff like that.

Short of the presidential veto, this would be a dream position for someone like Ron Paul. It's a cause very worth fighting for.

Who exactly makes the decisions? This is a cause worth fighting for, but I wonder who specifically to contact.

Chairman of his subcommittee wouldn't be nearly as important as the chairman of the whole House Financial Services Committee or the Speaker of the House. And the establishment can take consolation that if they don't find a politically expedient way to keep RP from chairing his subcommittee, those occupying those two positions above him on the totem pole will still have enough authority to decide what happens to bills that get through his subcommittee.

I stand by my prediction that he'll chair his subcommittee.

sailingaway
10-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I voted yes. I think they won't WANT to allow it but the stink there will be if they don't is something they won't like in the slightest. This ISN'T years ago, and Ron DOES have support.

Matt Collins
10-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Visualize Chairman Paul getting members to yield time and use his prerogative as Chair to grill the SecTreasury and Chairman of the Fed for scores of minutes.Not in the Senate though. Senator "Bailout Bob" Corker (who I'm embarrassed to say is from TN) specifically said he didn't want a Fed audit. The guy is like a sniveling little weasel.

YouTube - Bob Corker to Bernanke: Please, no audits at the Federal Reserve. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7mH2euK_d4)

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-13-2010, 11:59 PM
As soon as this election goes down I hope we launch a campaign and exhaust all political capital to END THE FED.

Health care, wars, and everything else is a non-issue once We The People have to start writing federal support checks.

Daamien
10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
They will probably give him the chairmanship. The reason being that it is simply a subcommittee, and therefore its bills must be submitted to the main House Financial Services Committee, which Ron Paul will not be chairman of, given how Rep. Spencer Bachus (R) is currently the ranking member with greater seniority.

In other words, it won't mean much if he gets the chairmanship other than his ability to quickly bring favorable bills to vote in the subcommittee itself.

No1ButPaul08
10-14-2010, 02:10 AM
They will probably give him the chairmanship. The reason being that it is simply a subcommittee, and therefore its bills must be submitted to the main House Financial Services Committee, which Ron Paul will not be chairman of, given how Rep. Spencer Bachus (R) is currently the ranking member with greater seniority.

In other words, it won't mean much if he gets the chairmanship other than his ability to quickly bring favorable bills to vote in the subcommittee itself.

Agreed. Plus, when Bernanke appears before the committee, it's the regualar Financial Services Committee, not Ron's Monetary Policy subcommttee. If Bernanke did appear before Ron's subcommittee, hell would freeze over before they gave Ron the chairmanship.

itshappening
10-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Ron is 2nd in line for chairmanship of the Financial services committee so there WILL be times he will act as chairman, just like that Democrat banker lobbyist who tried to kill audit the fed has sat in for Frank

erowe1
10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Ron is 2nd in line for chairmanship of the Financial services committee so there WILL be times he will act as chairman, just like that Democrat banker lobbyist who tried to kill audit the fed has sat in for Frank

From this list, it appears that he's 6th in line of the Republicans.
http://financialservices.house.gov/singlepages.aspx?NewsID=397

austrobrady
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
ACTION ALERT

Please contact your representitive and gently suggest that the Republican Steering Committee follow its own rules on seniority and appoint Ron Paul as Chairman of the Domestic Monetary Policy Subcommittee.

PPROPOSED ACTION ALERT

Contact Spencer Bachus and suggest the same - I think the steering committee appoints the Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee and that Chairman appoints subcommittee Chairmen.

PROPOSED ACTION ALERT

See if we can get Bachus to let Ron Paul chair a Bernanke Hearing *without prior public announcement*. Hopefully Bernanke will be caught off guard and with unlimited time as Chair, Ron Paul could engage in extended questioning.

Question: Does Bernanke appear before the full committee or the Domestic Monetary Policy Subcommittee or Both?

Bern
11-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Slate is reporting that Paul is slated to chair the Monetary Policy Subcommittee.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2010/11/03/ron-paul-to-chair-monetary-policy-subcommittee.aspx

BenIsForRon
11-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I hope they're right, but what is their source?