PDA

View Full Version : U of Michigan students hack DC electronic voting site to play school fight song

sailingaway
10-12-2010, 07:07 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk-elections/article/dc-electronic-voting-site-hacked-by-iran-china-university-of-michigan/19669259?icid=main%7Chp-desktop%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C176851

Administrators have no sense of humor.

Slutter McGee
10-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Misleading title. It was an experiment with a new online voting and the students along with others were asked to try and hack it. They realized then how many security risks there are and shelved the idea for now.

Still funny,

Slutter McGee

FunkBuddha
10-12-2010, 07:22 AM
"While we were in control of these systems, we observed other attack attempts originating from computers in Iran and China," Halderman said. "These attackers were attempting to guess the same master password that we did. And since it was only four letters long, they would likely have soon succeeded."

a 4 letter master password? Seriously?

http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/061/361/original/picard-facepalm.jpg?1279913952

sailingaway
10-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Misleading title. It was an experiment with a new online voting and the students along with others were asked to try and hack it. They realized then how many security risks there are and shelved the idea for now.

Still funny,

Slutter McGee

They weren't supposed to be able to do it, though.

specsaregood
10-12-2010, 07:53 AM
They weren't supposed to be able to do it, though.

They either hired morons or meant for it to fail.
They didn't even follow standard compliance rules. eg: leaving a text file with 900 accounts+pin numbers on a publicly hittable web server?

puppetmaster
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
They either hired morons or meant for it to fail.
They didn't even follow standard compliance rules. eg: leaving a text file with 900 accounts+pin numbers on a publicly hittable web server?

It is government....of course they did hire morons and this is typical for our government.

does anyone remember talking to their last government employee....THEY ARE FUCKING STUPID and the powers that be count on it

surf
10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
"hail to the motherf#ckers
hail to the great cocksuckers
hail, hail, to Michigan
the cesspool of the west"

a version i heard at my first visit to the Rose Bowl as a young kid watching my Huskies beat Michigan. can't get it out of my mind right now.

Brett
10-12-2010, 11:24 AM
"hail to the motherf#ckers
hail to the great cocksuckers
hail, hail, to Michigan
the cesspool of the west"

a version i heard at my first visit to the Rose Bowl as a young kid watching my Huskies beat Michigan. can't get it out of my mind right now.

Sounds good to me! :cool: