PDA

View Full Version : The Hate for the Elites is Justified

AuH20
10-11-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/government-270326-people-character.html

No matter what level of life in which you operate, you are likely overwhelmed by forms, by a blizzard of regulations, rules, new laws. This is not new, it's just always getting worse. Priests are forced to be accountants now, and army officers, and dentists. The single most onerous part of Obamacare is the tax change whereby spending $600 on goods or services will require a IRS 1099 form. Economists will tell you of the financial cost of this, but I would argue that Paperwork Nation is utterly at odds with the American character.

Because Americans weren't born to be accountants. It's not in our DNA! We're supposed to be building the Empire State Building. We were meant, to be romantic about it, and why not, to be a pioneer people, to push on, invent electricity, shoot the bear, bootleg the beer, write the novel, create, reform and modernize great industries. We weren't meant to be neat and tidy record keepers. We weren't meant to wear green eyeshades. We looked better in a coonskin cap!

There is, I think, a powerful rebellion against all this. It isn't a new rebellion – it was part of Goldwaterism, and Reaganism – but it's rising again.

For those who wonder why so many people have come to hate, or let me change it to profoundly dislike, "the elites," especially the political elite, here is one reason: It is because they have armies of accountants to do this work for them. Those in power institute the regulations and rules and then hire people to protect them from the burdens and demands of their legislation. There is no congressman passing tax law who doesn't have staffers in his office taking care of his own financial life and who will not, when he moves down the street into the lobbying firm, have an army of accountants to protect him there.

Washington is now to some degree the focus of the same sort of profound resentment that Hollywood liberals inspired when they really mattered, or seemed really powerful. For decades they made films that were not helpful to our culture or society, that were full of violence and sick imagery. But they often brought their own children up more or less protected from the effects of the culture they created. Private schools, nannies, therapists, tutors. They bought their way out of the cultural mayhem to which they'd contributed. Their children were fine. Yours were on their own.

This is part of why people dislike "the elites" and why "the elites," especially in Washington, must in turn be responsive, come awake, start to notice. People don't like it when they fear you are subtly, day by day, year by year, changing the personality and character of their nation. They think, "You are ruining our country and insulating yourselves from the ruin. We hate you." And this is understandable, yes?

Jcambeis
10-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I do not like to group people and charge them with crimes. I am an individualist not a collectivist

LibertyEagle
10-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Did you even read the article?

ChaosControl
10-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Good points if all the crappy culture they make is for the better, how about the scum start living in it with the rest of us. I refuse to call them "elites" though as that makes it sound as if they are somehow better than any of the rest of us, no, they're just "the scumbags".

AuH20
10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Good points if all the crappy culture they make is for the better, how about the scum start living in it with the rest of us. I refuse to call them "elites" though as that makes it sound as if they are somehow better than any of the rest of us, no, they're just "the scumbags".

Gated communities. Gulfstream jets providing them with instant transportation from the fray. Servants galore. Tax loopholes. Insider Trading.

These pricks are insulated from the malice they spin.

Travlyr
10-11-2010, 11:57 AM
For those who wonder why so many people have come to hate, or let me change it to profoundly dislike, "the elites," especially the political elite, here is one reason: It is because they have armies of accountants to do this work for them. Those in power institute the regulations and rules and then hire people to protect them from the burdens and demands of their legislation. There is no congressman passing tax law who doesn't have staffers in his office taking care of his own financial life and who will not, when he moves down the street into the lobbying firm, have an army of accountants to protect him there.
That's not why I loathe them. I despise the fact that the elite steal my wealth through inflation, go warring around the world killing innocent people, enslave/jail people for drugs, and strip opportunity from the people with useless laws & regulations that are unconstitutional.

Romulus
10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
And just to be clear, the hate is not directed toward them because they are rich, its because they are collectivists.

There are 2 sets of rules. Waivers for them, servitude and obedience for us.