PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Generation Teach-In

J Free
10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
OK. I got a great idea. I think we grassroots can change this election in a heartbeat.

Idea:
1. Produce a curriculum of articles/videos and other Internet-based materials. A Teach-In guide/curriculum to the election. Not exclusively Ron Paul (he will be the beneficiary because it is online and because we are doing it and won't conveniently "forget" to include him) but a general guide. Ask all the candidates (both parties) to produce their own recommended sites for a)candidate info and b)issue info.

2. Produce a step-by-step vision of "how-to". My vision is that kids and their parents/grandparents - or tech-savvy volunteers and seniors - sit down together. At local libraries, schools, senior centers, and in homes across the country. With the kids/volunteers clicking the mice and serving as guides. The parents/seniors (voters) doing the learning/watching. With discussion. Great for families and community. Bridges the "digital divide". etc.

3. If 1 is sufficiently non-partisan (goal: get the approval of the League of Women Voters or similar that it is OK); then LWV etal will do the initial announcements and marketing. Meetup folks can head around to local schools, libraries, senior centers, etc and set up specific times/dates/schedules with them. Those groups (and local media) will then publicize the Teach-Ins.

4. Whatever central website serves as the jumping-off point can probably get serious advertising/sponsorship. Almost certainly enough to cover costs and probably much more.

I've mulled this idea over in my head and can't even see that a whole lot of work is required. Serious project plan and mobilizing of these established groups but not a lot of creation of new stuff except the website. And this project is itself pretty newsworthy IMO so I don't see where the most important piece (the marketing) would falter.

What do folks here think of this?