PDA

View Full Version : NYT - John Dennis Comes out of the Closet in Gay Bar...

PatriotOne
10-10-2010, 08:14 AM
...as a Republican

The Republican Actually Running Against Pelosi
By JESSE McKINLEY
Published: October 9, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/us/politics/10dennis.html

“O.K., we’re all sitting here, we all have a drink here?” Mr. Dennis said, taking a deep breath. “O.K.: I’m a Republican.”

“Oh. My. God,” responded Chris Craig, a 72-year old Democrat who is retired.

“Are you sure?” another man at the table asked.

Mr. Dennis smiled and nodded, and continued on in his curious and probably quixotic mission: to unseat Nancy Pelosi, the House speaker, a Democrat who was elected to her 12th term in 2008 with a slim 72 percent of the vote.

“It’s a challenging district,” Mr. Dennis acknowledges.

That is, without a doubt, an understatement. But the long odds notwithstanding, Mr. Dennis — a 47-year-old straight, married father of a 4-year-old girl — says he is making an honest run for Ms. Pelosi’s seat and raising not a small amount of money to do so.

With some 33,000 donors, most of whom, not surprisingly, do not live in San Francisco, Mr. Dennis has raised nearly $2 million, all in order to woo San Franciscans with his antitax, antiwar and anti-Pelosi rhetoric.

“This is an enormous platform,” he said. “This is a way to get out and talk about the things that I care about.”

That said, Mr. Dennis is not exactly leading with his party affiliation — “I don’t usually include the Republican part,” he said — and for good reason. Republicans are about as rare as warm evenings here, making up just 9 percent of the San Francisco electorate.

Rest at link.

malkusm
10-10-2010, 08:22 AM
They had to throw in "quixotic," didn't they? At some point, they have to realize that there are synonyms, and that their vocabularies aren't as large as they'd like people to believe.

Aratus
10-10-2010, 11:33 AM
he has a chance. i feel he may adroitly come within 3 to 5 points of her on election day.
the two million $ plus added attention pulls him out of the more normal 20 to 25 point gap
she would expect between her and any opponent. he easily could close the gap this month!!!

libertarian4321
10-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Dennis is more realistic than a lot of you are.

While he's not going to come out and say he has no chance (what candidate ever does?), he knows the deal- if he pulled every Republican (9%) vote and ALL the Independent votes (30%), he'd still get crushed.

At the end, they quote Dennis as saying "“I have to say, my feet are firmly planted on earth,” he said. “I know where we are.” That's his way of saying he knows the deal- he's going to give it his best shot, but he understands the realities of that district.

libertarian4321
10-12-2010, 04:00 AM
he has a chance. i feel he may adroitly come within 3 to 5 points of her on election day.
the two million $ plus added attention pulls him out of the more normal 20 to 25 point gap
she would expect between her and any opponent. he easily could close the gap this month!!!

Okay, I think I see why you have unrealistic expectations.

You think there is a "normal" 20-25% gap between Pelosi and her Republican opponent.

Let me dissuade you of that notion.

Her "normal" victory gap over her Republican opponent is SEVENTY TO SEVENTY-FIVE (70-75) POINTS, not 20-25.

She typically gets about 85% of the vote, the Republican typically gets 12-13%.

For those who think "he can win" or "he can make it close"- take a look at these numbers for past elections from the CA 8th district:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California's_8th_congressional_district

Probably the most lopsided district in the country.

Indy Vidual
10-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Mr. Dennis has raised nearly $2 million...

How much of that $2 Million USD can he save in his "war chest", while legally moving to a different district? :)

LudwigVonMisoSoup
10-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Okay, I think I see why you have unrealistic expectations.

You think there is a "normal" 20-25% gap between Pelosi and her Republican opponent.

Let me dissuade you of that notion.

You're wasting your time posting on multiple threads about how 'unrealistic' Dennis' chances of election is. What's your purpose? Most of us know he's a long shot, you don't need to chime in on every thread about it. Do something more purposeful with your time and spread the liberty message rather than shoot it down.

Aratus
10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
2010 is not a normal year --- in san francisco THIS year the 20 point to 25 point gap IS uber normal...

a galvanizing door to door effort WOULD take Mr. john dennis to my high 45% to 48% range!

Aratus
10-12-2010, 11:56 AM
CASE IN POINT --- WHEN SENATOR TEDDY KENNEDY HEADED THE TICKET,
Ms. MARTHA COAKLEY HAD HER NUMBERs and HIS WONDEROUSLY OVERLAP...

lets go back to the winsome whimsical TEA PARTY EXPRESS "scott brown" effect
that is now to be a textbook example at the college level in all poly~sci classes
one would ever love to take! ---the "experts" were off by easily FIFTEEN full points
at the begining of the formal race prior to new years and then spent three weeks jaw
dropping before tabasco sauce bottles and heinz catsup helped crow go down into
the tummy tum tum feed sack we all have to more than a 99.9 percentile as a species...

Aratus
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
LudwigVonMisoSoup --- i can see that Libertarian4321 is totally realistic and pragmatically practical,
i do not now thusly berate this apt lucidity and perceptiveness, however given that i am a dreamer
who senses a significant political opening sorta like the goat-path up in the mountains for xerxes
at thermOpoly, can i be now forgiven for assuming that all DemOcrats are not a hobbes leviathan
monolith of bland conformity? they too are quite indiviual people with drives & dreams and hopes!

Aratus
10-12-2010, 12:12 PM
thermopylae happenstances when some unwash'd troops do find a narrow unguarded goat-path
there are no Democratic strongholds this day, this year & there be no monopoly on wisdom!
my only regret is that i did not send my brainfreezes to the john dennis people direct...