PDA

View Full Version : Campaigning to the kids

scbissler
10-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Driving home from the grocery last night I came across some local high school kids, maybe 20-30 of them, on the side of the road protesting against the Iraq War. I was stopped at a light so I rolled down my window, gave them a shout and handed them a Ron Paul Revolution bumper sticker. Arrived home, grabbed some literature and went back to talk to them. The one who seemed to be the "leader" and who will be voting next year (as will many of the rest) said, "Ron Paul, isn't he the dude who wants to get rid of the Fed?" I was floored. I went into the whole spiel, told them if they truly wanted to end the war then forget the democrats and tell everyone they know to vote RP in the republican primary. It was all very well received. I left a lot of literature - fliers, cards, etc. There may be Hope for America.

Adam Smith
10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
The same thing happened at our RP booth at our state fair last week. We gave away tons of stuff to teenagers and college students. Over 100 bumper stickers in one afternoon!

We had a fifteen year-old kid who came to our booth wearing an RP t-shirt who asked to sign up for our local MeetUp. His parents saw our booth first (they weren't RP supporters) and they went and found him out on the rides at the fair and brought him back in just so he could sign up.

A couple of high school girls begged us for campaign literature to pass out at a concert being held at the fair. So we gave them about 100 slim jims and some buttons. After the concert was over they came back for more.

I was floored. And very happy.

jacmicwag
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Now if we can get them all registered to vote and out on election day.

thehittgirl
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I just remembered that my son who is in middle school, rides the bus with the high schoolers(cheap school district-lol)I'll ask him to find out who the 17 year olds are.

Anyway,I love it when my son wears his revolution shirt to school. His dean is a RP supporter. When we picked him up from the bus stop, I heard kids say, "Ron Paul?"

My 7 year old wants to wear his jacket with a bumper sticker on it. The revolution is spreading!

Jordan
10-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Anyone who is truly interested at politics at my HS is very much considering Ron Paul

scbissler
10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Anyone who is truly interested at politics at my HS is very much considering Ron Paul

Great to hear!

Danny Molina
10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I think this may be the best turnout for -25 year old in a primary EVER.

isrow
10-18-2007, 03:34 PM
As an 18 year old I can confirm that Ron Paul is the only candidate getting support from the youth. You would be surprised at how astute many teenagers are when it comes to politics. Best of all most teens haven't developed the he can't win so why bother attitude. Anyone else on a college campus needs to get active and get organized because there are millions of students who once they hear the message would be supporters.

Danny Molina
10-18-2007, 04:04 PM
While I see Obama getting alot of support from teens in the general election I have a feeling that very few of them will vote in the primaries.

Jordan
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
While I see Obama getting alot of support from teens in the general election I have a feeling that very few of them will vote in the primaries.

that goes for nearly any candidate but RP.

katao
10-18-2007, 04:17 PM
We should start serious Voter Registration efforts (at high schools, community colleges, universities). Schools, generally, would be supportive. This is especially important in NH, Iowa, SC and Nevada.

katao
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM

This is the stereotype, but I posted research yesterday that showed that in Iowa in 2000, the percentage of 18-29 year olds participating in the Caucuses were the exact percent of that age group in the population!

In other words, Dean didn't lose Iowa because the youth didn't vote!

There is even more hope this time, with the Caucuses happening during the break between Semesters, students will be at home (where they must show up in person at their home precincts) instead of at school.