PDA

View Full Version : GOP U.S. House Candidate Under Fire for Wearing German WWII Uniform (Reenactor)

RonPaulFanInGA
10-09-2010, 05:23 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/123491-gop-house-candidate-belongs-to-nazi-war-reenactment-group

Rich Iott, the House Republican nominee in Ohio’s 9th district, belongs to a group that reenacts World War II battles as a Nazi SS division.

Iott confirmed to The Atlantic that he has been a member of the group, called Wiking, for years but that his participation stems from his interest in history.

"In fact, there's a disclaimer on the [Wiking] website,” he told The Atlantic, which first reported his membership. “And you'll find that on almost any reenactment website. It's purely historical interest in World War II."

Iott is seen in photos dressed up in a Nazi military uniform. The group says its name come from the 5th Panzer Division Wiking, which was an armored tank division that included foreigners and mainly fought against Russians on the Eastern Front. A recruiting video on the Wiking site, shows members of the group marching, shooting rifles and performing drills as if they’re German soldiers.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/assets_c/2010/10/reenactors-iott-b-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/4v5t7a.jpg

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-09-2010, 05:33 PM
How is this even an issue? Someone has to portray Japanese, Germans, Italians, etc. in re-enactments and it is stupid to assume that everyone who is on those sides in re-enactments believes in what those countries did in that era. That is fucking stupid beyond belief. They should watch the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Raymond has to play a CSA soldier in the re-enactments. :p

libertyfan101
10-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Between O'Donnell and this guy. The Tea Party is looking ridiculous. It's bad enough both of them are neo-cons. Now their witches and nazis. Insane.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Between O'Donnell and this guy. The Tea Party is looking ridiculous. It's bad enough both of them are neo-cons. Now their witches and nazis. Insane.

Really? I think this is absurd. This candidate also played a union soldier and a sailor. There are two sides to each war and somebody has to play the 'bad' one. It can't be Allies vs. Allies in a WWII reenactment.

Cowlesy
10-09-2010, 05:42 PM
lol...

oh for pete's sake....

ItsTime
10-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Byrd agrees with this thread

http://www.uncoverage.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/polls_byrd_kkk_0925_229387_poll_xlarge1.jpg

libertyfan101
10-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Really? I think this is absurd. This candidate also played a union soldier and a sailor. There are two sides to each war and somebody has to play the 'bad' one. It can't be Allies vs. Allies in a WWII reenactment.

What's more absurd is his neo-con foreign policy.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-09-2010, 06:08 PM
What's more absurd is his neo-con foreign policy.

Of course, but I think we should all reject the "politics" of character assassination, don't you agree?

FrankRep
10-09-2010, 06:10 PM

The attacks against them is ridiculous.

libertyfan101
10-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Of course, but I think we should all reject the "politics" of character assassination, don't you agree?

I agree. I also think people in the tea party need to do a 10x's better job in endorsing candidates. Maybe making a little bit of an effort into checking their background and stances on issues. Such as neo-con foreign policy endorsements.

Minlawc
10-09-2010, 06:16 PM
This is even dumber than the mosque thing. You kinda have to have someone dressed as Nazis in a WWII re-enactment, or they'd just be a bunch of jackasses standing around in the Allied countries' uniforms.

libertyfan101
10-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Iraq and Afghanistan Wars

Thanks to the fortitude of President Bush, military leaders and the incredible bravery of our soldiers, we have completed the task in Iraq, and we have freed 25 million people from a brutal dictator. We are working toward the same goal in Afghanistan, and we will succeed if General Patreaus is able to change the rules of engagement to allow our soldiers to actually fight that war to win. I support that effort. It has become a slogan, but it is true – we live in a world where terrorists want to kill Americans. If we don’t fight and kill them over there, we will end up having to fight them on the streets of our own cities. We must remain vigilant in this effort.

Iran

We have failed to act decisively to stop Iran from pursuing a nuclear program that no one doubts will end up with them possessing a nuclear bomb. This is a serious failure we will have to deal with now, and for decades. One thing is clear – we must, by treaty help defend Israel, and we must do all we can to preserve peace in the Middle East.

http://voteiott.com/issues/

Screw this guy and his nazi uniform.

Jeremy
10-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Didn't Reagan wear a Nazi uniform when he was an actor?

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree. I also think people in the tea party need to do a 10x's better job in endorsing candidates. Maybe making a little bit of an effort into checking their background and stances on issues. Such as neo-con foreign policy endorsements.

There are a lot of neo-cons and Buckleyites in the movement. It is not surprising they would endorse such people. The ultimate rejection, must be of the Buckleyites and Neo-Cons. Both are atrocious and both need to be defeated. However, in doing so we must stay on principle and policy, and not target someones character or their activities which have no bearing on policy.

That is why I don't like the amalgam the Tea Party is. It is the new 'fusionism' which was shown to be a total and complete mistake and folly. It didn't work in the 50s and it isn't going to work now. We need our own movement and not get subsumed into the Buckleyite/Neo-Con bullshit. A rennaisance of principle -- From Lane, Mencken, Bastiat, Dunoyer, Cantillon, Mises, Salerno, Long, Nock, etc.