PDA

View Full Version : Chris Christie wins VATP straw poll - Palin, Ron Paul in close second and third

Lucille
10-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Via twitter:

Gov. Chris Christie wins POTUS straw poll @ VA T-Party convention, followed by Gov. Sarah Palin and in 3rd, Rep. Ron Paul.

MOD Update:

RICHMOND -- The surprise winner of the 2012 straw poll at the Virginia Tea Patriots Convention -- announced by a literal drum roll -- is Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.). He won 14% of the vote in a 15-way ballot, beating Sarah Palin (13.5%), Ron Paul (12.5%), Newt Gingrich (8.4%), and Jim DeMint (7.3%), in a poll of 1,560 attendees -- at least twice as large as the news-making Values Voter straw poll, if I'm remembering correctly.

Also on the ballot, although the full results weren't read: Bobby Jindal, Mike Huckabee, Mitch Daniels, Michele Bachmann, Mike Pence, Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Santorum -- who actually attended the conference. (Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton also appeared on the poll, sort of as a joke.)

low preference guy
10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the votes were taken before or after the speeches (or presentations, whatever), and if everyone heard Ron's.

fahayek
10-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Why is Ron even at these Tea Party conventions?

MRoCkEd
10-09-2010, 03:59 PM
To spread the message!

fahayek
10-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I wonder if the votes were taken before or after the speeches (or presentations, whatever), and if everyone heard Ron's.

Ron spoke earlier.

Palin? WTF!

fahayek
10-09-2010, 04:01 PM
To spread the message!

It looks like people paid attention. Palin finished ahead of him :rolleyes:

HOLLYWOOD
10-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Bummer on Ron's 3rd place... Christie is Gulianni's buddy and part of the establishment, even though he's cleaning up 4 decades of mess in New Jersey.

Nice piece about the Virginia Tea party interview:

Tea Party Groups Join Forces
Jamie Radtke, president of the Richmond Tea Party and chairwoman of the Federation of Virginia Tea Party Patriots, talks about the group's growing ambitions and plans.

http://online.wsj.com/video/strong-brew-tea-party-groups-join-forces/C1D0C37A-DE28-4615-BD21-603D623239DB.html?mod=WSJ_Article_Videocarousel_3

MRoCkEd
10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
It was close for the top 3:

RICHMOND -- The surprise winner of the 2012 straw poll at the Virginia Tea Patriots Convention -- announced by a literal drum roll -- is Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.). He won 14% of the vote in a 15-way ballot, beating Sarah Palin (13.5%), Ron Paul (12.5%), Newt Gingrich (8.4%), and Jim DeMint (7.3%), in a poll of 1,560 attendees -- at least twice as large as the news-making Values Voter straw poll, if I'm remembering correctly.

Also on the ballot, although the full results weren't read: Bobby Jindal, Mike Huckabee, Mitch Daniels, Michele Bachmann, Mike Pence, Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Santorum -- who actually attended the conference. (Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton also appeared on the poll, sort of as a joke.)

jmhudak17
10-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Imagine if Paul ran with Christie as his VP. It would easily garner both the libertarian and conservative vote.

low preference guy
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
It was close for the top 3:

Yep, Ron ended up about 25 votes short of the winner, in a conference of about 1500 people.

Anti Federalist
10-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Via twitter:

Gov. Chris Christie wins POTUS straw poll @ VA T-Party convention, followed by Gov. Sarah Palin and in 3rd, Rep. Ron Paul.

MOD Update:

<<<facepalm>>>

The Ghoul and the Fat Man.

FFS

speciallyblend
10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I suspect the gop and the tea parties will fail if they do not follow ron paul's platform!! I can only make sure my vote counts!! I do not think the gop or tea party folks will do well in 2010 election unless they are truly liberty-oriented, this is my only hope! let the chips fall where they may! I can only hope gop establishment and the tea party hi-jackers fall on their faces in nov!!

MRoCkEd
10-09-2010, 05:01 PM
It's okay. Ron Paul is establishing himself as a serious contender. Someone who won CPAC, came right behind Romney at SRLC, and got a solid third above Gingrich at the tea party convention is no fringe candidate.

paulitics
10-09-2010, 05:14 PM
This was a strong finish, and it isn't surprising to see Christie win. They are rewarding him for being a strong fiscal conservative and getting results in NJ of all places. He won for the right reasons.

At least they aren't choosing Romney. And Ron was not far behind, so why the negativity?

speciallyblend
10-09-2010, 05:19 PM
It's okay. Ron Paul is establishing himself as a serious contender. Someone who won CPAC, came right behind Romney at SRLC, and got a solid third above Gingrich at the tea party convention is no fringe candidate.

i hope so, i am getting very nervous for the gop!!! They have to see the writing on the wall!!!!

somedays i think hmm they get it! Then other days i am like wow they are clueless!!

TXcarlosTX
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Im under the impression that consistent top 3 finishes is solid. This is fine. Now lets waive the fuck out of signs on the NOV5TH!!

devil21
10-09-2010, 05:25 PM
<<<facepalm>>>

The Ghoul and the Fat Man.

FFS

At least Gingrich didn't win. I can deal with Christie and Palin edging out RP but Gingrich would have been unacceptable.

Michigan11
10-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Agreed. Go Ron and all supporters who are voting him up and spreading the message for his 2012 WIN!!!

Jordan
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Imagine if Paul ran with Christie as his VP. It would easily garner both the libertarian and conservative vote.

This ticket would be awesome!

speciallyblend
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Im under the impression that consistent top 3 finishes is solid. This is fine. Now lets waive the fuck out of signs on the NOV5TH!!

i hear ya, i am thinking of using my big ron paul 2008 blue signs and holding them over overpasses and taking pics on nov 5th! i figured i can cover summit and eagle counties on i-70 on nov 5th!!
RON PAUL 2012
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=103347796396805

Bruno
10-09-2010, 05:39 PM
This was a strong finish, and it isn't surprising to see Christie win. They are rewarding him for being a strong fiscal conservative and getting results in NJ of all places. He won for the right reasons.

At least they aren't choosing Romney. And Ron was not far behind, so why the negativity?

+ rep

ItsTime
10-09-2010, 05:48 PM

So he can win the GOP nomination?

trey4sports
10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
This is a WIN WIN WIN folks!

I don't think that the Ron Paul brigade invaded this event like we typically do to all the other events and the upside of that is that we are polling really well with the conservative base.

If we were polling 2 points behind the leading GOP contender nationwide could anyone really complain?

fahayek
10-09-2010, 07:26 PM
So he can win the GOP nomination?

so GOP and Tea Party are synonymous?

Epic
10-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I was at the event. People could vote anytime on Friday or Saturday. Ron Paul spoke Saturday afternoon, so most votes were in before he spoke. His speech was his normal spiel, and he got a good reception.

This convention was NOT crashed at all by paul people - looking at the Straw poll voting line, most everyone was older and probably retired.

Ron Paul got a solid result. Too bad he didn't win, but it's a good result.

speciallyblend
10-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I was at the event. People could vote anytime on Friday or Saturday. Ron Paul spoke Saturday afternoon, so most votes were in before he spoke. His speech was his normal spiel, and he got a good reception.

This convention was NOT crashed at all by paul people - looking at the Straw poll voting line, most everyone was older and probably retired.

Ron Paul got a solid result. Too bad he didn't win, but it's a good result.

I hear you:) i am so jealous:), i just hope folks do what is needed ! Which is register republican and become delegates!! If Ron Paul supporters cannot do this simple thing. We might as well support mickey mouse in the lp!!

RM918
10-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Christie has absolutely no interest in running, he's given a pretty blunt response to that.