PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hosting Service

ronpaulhawaii
10-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Having a secure web hosting/development operation will be very valuable over the next few years. RPF member Suzu has a good option for our consideration and support.

Suzu has been hosting/developing RP sites since '07. Some took off, some didn't. The Ron Paul Riders and Liberty Straw Poll sites were two RPF successes. Her contract is due for renewal and a good option for our needs is more than she can afford. She can put $90 in now, but needs to raise $250 more. This will be an upgrade to a dedicated IP address capable of hosting tons of sites.

Top Reasons to get a Dedicated IP:

* So you can enable SSL on your web site - SSL Certificates are crucial if you have a business oriented website, especially if you want to accept secure transactions like credit card payments or sending personal information through your site. Secure SSL Certificates require your site to have a Dedicated IP in order to work.
* Ability to run more software on your server - Certain programs require a dedicated IP address before they can be setup and used. With a dedicated IP you will have more options on the type of scripts you can run.
* Ability to open non-standard ports - Purchasing a dedicated IP will allow us to grant you access to additional ports you may need to run special services on that are blocked for shared IPs.
* So you won't be negatively impacted by the actions of others - On a shared IP, if someone else sharing your same IP happens to get blocked by IP or censored, as some countries or ISPs sometimes do. Their IP (and yours) could get banned or blacklisted, causing problems for your web site or search engine rankings.
* Your website may perform better in the search engines - Although difficult to prove, many people believe that sites with a dedicated IP address rank better in the search engine results than those utilizing shared IP addresses.
* You can view your web site by typing its IP address - This is handy for situations where you want to access your site, but your domain name is inaccessible, such as during domain name propagation periods.

This is for 36 months (it is only $50 more than a 24month contract and won't have us renewing come Oct 2012... ) As in the past, Suzu will:

"I can/will - for anyone who uses the service - install nearly any sort of script/software such as content management programs, blogs, polls, surveys, forums, guestbooks, chat rooms, mailing lists, photo galleries, RSS feeds, wikis, eCommerce stuff and much more. I will also make email addresses and FTP accounts as needed and assist with site development as best I can, on request (as I always have). Also willing and able to help with photo and video editing (assuming I get my own PC going again - have been using Dave's for the last 4 months - or possibly get a new one)."

I think this is a valuable asset for the r3VOLution and know that Suzu has always been a great help to many of us. While I don't have money to donate, at this time, I am glad to help by posting this request for feedback and donations

http://suzu.chipin.com/liberty-hosting-service

ONWARD!

GunnyFreedom
10-07-2010, 08:44 PM
huzzah!

Two years from now there will be hundreds of Paulers running for office, and campaigns of every sort. a good host is essential to any sort of campaign nowadays.

Suzu
10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you so much, Michael :)

ronpaulhawaii
10-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Did I mention this will create a free dedicated and secure hosting service for qualifying RP sites/projects?

ronpaulhawaii
10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
While the crickets chirp here, I just took a phone call from an organizer of the '07 Boston Tea Party and he will be throwing a hundred in. I need to call him back later today...

As a side note. He has reserved Faneuil Hall again and it is looking like there will be another RP Tea Party on Dec 12th in Boston...

ONWARD!

Austin
10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I chipped in a little. It's not a lot, but maybe it'll get the ball rolling.

Suzu
10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Thank you, Krippy!

LibertyMage
10-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I just donated a few bucks. I wish there was more actual action on these forums these days.

Suzu
10-09-2010, 05:29 AM
The kitty grows again :)
Thanks to Robin and to Robert!

squarepusher
10-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Did I mention this will create a free dedicated and secure hosting service for qualifying RP sites/projects?

i thought it was $300?

ronpaulhawaii
10-09-2010, 06:55 AM
The kitty grows again :)
Thanks to Robin and to Robert!

Robert is not on RPFs and will be kicking in more later, (he had to recharge his debit card...) He will also be shopping the chip-in around a bit...

i thought it was $300?

To get the dedicated IP set up will cost $340. What I wrote was that this will create a free hosting service for RP sites/projects. IOW, if someone wants to build a site, like my original RPRiders.com, they will not need to pay for the hosting/set-up. Key word here though is "qualifying", (as I doubt anyone involved will approve a "Nazis for Paul" site...)

Big thanks to Krippy and Mage, hopefully the chip-in will fill up a bit here before I start shopping it around elsewhere...

Suzu
10-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Michael - we will still be on a shared server, but with a dedicated IP address.

Suzu
10-11-2010, 11:52 PM
This thread has over 230 views, and the chipin is still over $200 short of its goal. Six days left to reach the total....

Indy Vidual
10-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Suzu, you might be dealing with a high-priced company.

Please spend the money on something better than shared hosting.

Shared hosting is horrible and any site that gets busy will be quickly suspended.

Dedicated IP addresses are free with a VPS (virtual private server), and only ~$1 or $2 per month extra with most shared hosting.

Virtual private servers cost only ~$10 to $50 per month depending on the details and support levels.

@ronpaulhawaii Yes-you did-and the facts are not lining up properly this time, sorry.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I am totally broke right now.. like to the point I just spent the last dime I had (no joke) so while I would love to kick some money into this I just can't. I do however have one luxury right now and that is time. So just tell me what else I can do to help out and I will give it everything I have.

Suzu
10-12-2010, 07:18 AM

Shared hosting is horrible and any site that gets busy will be quickly suspended.

Indy, a Virtual private server is still on a shared machine, and not only is it more expensive (far more than you indicate), I would need to administer it remotely, which is not something I want to attempt.

I've been using the current service for the last 5 years, most of the time with at least a dozen active sites, with absolutely no problem. To move all the sites at this point would be a major - and needless - waste of time.

Jeremy
10-12-2010, 09:33 AM
What liberty websites will you be hosting immediately after you renew?

ronpaulhawaii
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Suzu, you might be dealing with a high-priced company.

Dedicated IP addresses are free with a VPS (virtual private server), and only ~$1 or $2 per month extra with most shared hosting.

Virtual private servers cost only ~$10 to $50 per month depending on the details and support levels.

@ronpaulhawaii Yes-you did-and the facts are not lining up properly this time, sorry.

Well, I remain pretty e-gnorant of terminology/costs/etc. What I do know is that Suzu hosted many sites for us, for free, during the '08 cycle and I imagine we will be needing many more during the 2012 cycle. I'm not sure of the options you are mentioning, but unless someone else is willing to step up and provide the service that Suzu has a track record of supporting, this seems the best option to insure the r3VOLution has a dedicated option for sites such as Liberty Straw Poll/RonPaulRiders/etc...

OK, as I stated above, I am pretty much an e-gnoramus regarding tech. The point is that, with a dedicated IP, some other blogger on the server won't be able to take down our sites by posting actionable material. Is that correct?

I am totally broke right now.. like to the point I just spent the last dime I had (no joke) so while I would love to kick some money into this I just can't. I do however have one luxury right now and that is time. So just tell me what else I can do to help out and I will give it everything I have.

I'm sure you have a personal contact list you can go through for $10s and $20s :) I've been too busy with Glen to be doing much outreach. I'll be doing more this week...

MRoCkEd
10-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Interesting. So what recent contributions have you made with your server? Are there any specific projects you need this for?

Suzu
10-12-2010, 11:07 AM
i thought it was $300?

I have to pay for the service, but I turn around and offer free hosting and development help to Ron-Paul/Liberty oriented sites. So if you donate you are helping to make the service available, whether you personally want to put a site on it, or not.

Suzu
10-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Interesting. So what recent contributions have you made with your server? Are there any specific projects you need this for?

Several sites have remained active since the '08 campaign season. There are are no new sites specifically lined up at the moment, but the space and bandwidth are available to any who need it, and I am sure there will be many who make use of it over the next few years. I think I will give it up after that, because it really is an awful lot of work and my time is very short, funds are shorter still.

Jeremy
10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I just don't see the point tbh. We've had multiple sites since 2008, none of which were hosted by you.

Maybe if you had specific websites in mind, there would be a specific reason to donate.

Suzu
10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I just don't see the point tbh. We've had multiple sites since 2008, none of which were hosted by you.

Maybe if you had specific websites in mind, there would be a specific reason to donate.

I suppose we ought to just forget the whole thing, then, since *you* never used this service in the past.

Thanks for your input :)

brandon
10-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I just don't see the point tbh.

Same. Hosting is dirt cheap from companies like godaddy. I don't see why someone wouldn't just buy straight from them. What is the benefit of a middle man?

Suzu
10-12-2010, 11:24 AM
What liberty websites will you be hosting immediately after you renew?

Sorry for missing this post, I admit I've had you blocked for a while.

I still have RonPaulRiders.com, LibertyStrawPoll.com, C4Liberty.com and PaulsParachute.com active. Any others who want to sign on will be welcome, now and for however long I am able to keep the service going.

Not looking too hopeful at this point, though ;(

Suzu
10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Same. Hosting is dirt cheap from companies like godaddy. I don't see why someone wouldn't just buy straight from them. What is the benefit of a middle man?

Have you ever *used* godaddy for hosting? I've heard more than a few horror stories about them.

Dirt-cheap for some is more than others can afford. Hence the "free" option.

Also, why spend money on hosting if you don't have to? The money can be sent to worthy candidates, instead.

MRoCkEd
10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Cool.. So, where are you buying this? And is there any reason to do this now considering you do not know any sites that need hosting at this point?

Jeremy
10-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Well don't use GoDaddy lol.

newbitech
10-12-2010, 11:50 AM
what are the server and plan specs? Reading through the thread, I am not sure if you are getting a dedicated server or not. Dedicated IP is no longer required for SSL. Other than that, the benefits of dedicated IP listed in the OP aren't all that great to be paying more.

Also, doing the math, it sounds like a standard hosting plan to me. Who is the host? The only reason I can see needing SSL for practical purposes is to run a merchant account for ecommerce.

I like the idea of liberty hosting, but I'd need to justify sending money to a company that is not directly endorsing the concept.

So I'd be willing to chip in if I can have those questions answered.

FWIW, I can get 1 year of unlimited hosting and shell access for $10 for the year. No the SSL is not free, and its shared, but for grassroots campaigning on site that will end up being recycled, I don't see a need for dedicated anything.

Your deal sounds good for the price if it is truly dedicated. Actually it kind of sounds unbelievable because 300 for 36 months comes out to less than $10 a month. I'd love to know where I can have dedicated hosting that cheap! Its basically a steal!

Anyways, I digress! Tech people need tech specs~!

Indy Vidual
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I've been using the current service for the last 5 years...

Prices have fallen dramatically in the last 5 years, for all types of hosting.
Your intentions, effort, and quality of service are probably all way above average. The fact remains, raising well over $200 for any type of shared hosting simply might not be a good idea in 2010 and beyond.

ps.
VPS's with a full 1Gig of RAM for only $10/ month do exist (you are correct the CPU is still 'shared')
Managed options cost more, however my price range quoted was highly accurate.

$$
Bargains Galore
Shared hosting is so cheap, there could be 10,15 or 20 Liberty Hosting Services.

Why have one single point-of-failure and one single target for hackers?

brandon
10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Have you ever *used* godaddy for hosting? I've heard more than a few horror stories about them.

Yep for the past 2 years. It costs me $4.99/month and I have never had a problem.

Also, why spend money on hosting if you don't have to? The money can be sent to worthy candidates, instead.

Oh the irony ;)

FunkBuddha
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Just thinking out loud here.

Assuming the release of Diaspora (http://www.joindiaspora.com/) is coming up in a few months or so (maybe). What if we had a BHS (Big Honkin' Server) that was partitioned using KVM and reserved one VM for Diaspora seed hosting at say $10 per year and leave the rest of the server resources available for VPSes.

For around $250.00 a month you can purchase 1U of rackspace with 100GB (not sure if this would be enough) per month of data transfer or $3000 per year. Add a /27 (30 ip addresses) onto that for about $40 per month or $480 per year.

I don't know what the server would cost, maybe around $3000-$4000 with 4x 750GB 2.5" drives, a couple of quad cores and oodles of RAM.

The software to do this is all freely available.

Or we could rent a dedicated server like this with bandwidth for around $6k per year.
LINK (http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/ServerPremiumHexaCore3XL;jsessionid=683030ECBB5D8D FE6C5D84CB71397470.TCpfix141a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static&ordernow=true)

Of course this would only be sustainable if we had at least 600 Diaspora customers but maybe if people knew that their contribution was helping to provide services for the liberty community it would be more appealing.

Again, I'm thinking out loud here. I think the original premise of the post is a good idea. It just seems pricey for what you're getting. My VPS costs me $3.50 a month for 128MB of RAM and 1TB per month of transfer.

Indy Vidual
10-12-2010, 12:49 PM
...Or we could rent a dedicated server like this with bandwidth for around $6k per year.
LINK (http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/ServerPremiumHexaCore3XL;jsessionid=683030ECBB5D8D FE6C5D84CB71397470.TCpfix141a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static&ordernow=true)...

32 GB RAM = Wow :D = High price
~4 GB RAM (for example) = ~$140/month (or less), including bandwidth = ~$1,680/year

Still has one single point-of-failure and one single attack point for hackers.

FunkBuddha
10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
32 GB RAM = Wow :D = High price
~4 GB RAM (for example) = ~$140/month (or less), including bandwidth = ~$1,680/year

Still has one single point-of-failure and one single attack point for hackers.

I'm not a web guru. I don't know what kinds of resources would be necessary to do what I'm talking out.

For the host though, we can lock it down tighter than a drum. We would still have to worry about (D)DOS though with one pipe. Single point-of-failure is the major issue in my mind. I don't know if any of the co-location facilities provide any sort of out-of-band backup plan or not. I'll have to do more research.

I just wanted to throw this out there. There may be a better way. This whole plan depends on Diaspora taking off as well which is iffy to say the least.

Suzu
10-12-2010, 01:06 PM
VPS's with a full 1Gig of RAM for only $10/ month do exist (you are correct the CPU is still 'shared')
Managed options cost more, however my price range quoted was highly accurate.

From the investigation I've done, yeah, for around $10/month you can get root access to a shared server, possibly with an OS installed. But that's all. Everything else that's normally included with a typical hosting account costs extra. Or if you wanna spend all your time on it, you can do everything yourself.

Suzu
10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Prices have fallen dramatically in the last 5 years, for all types of hosting.
Your intentions, effort, and quality of service are probably all way above average. The fact remains, raising well over $200 for any type of shared hosting simply might not be a good idea in 2010 and beyond.

You are, of course, aware that the $250 is for three years of service, right?

ronpaulhawaii
10-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Not looking too hopeful at this point, though ;(

Don't get discouraged, there is still time and I have been to busy on the ground here to do much...

I don't know who this "we" is you mention, but Suzu has hosted multiple RP sites that I have either owned outright, or helped out on. IIRC correctly, Suzu also helped Chris Rye rebuild the "ForLibertyMovie" site (even though it is hosted elsewhere).

I see this as building infrastructure for 2012. I can think of two sites we will be needing to build for next summer. Suzu has always offered to help and her services have been underutilized.

I have edited the OP to clear up my confusuion on the differences between a dedicated IP and a dedicated server. Again, I am not a tech person so my apologies for the confusion.

ONWARD!

Suzu
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Yep for the past 2 years. It costs me $4.99/month and I have never had a problem.

If you had used my hosting, you wouldn't have had to spend that 24x4.99=$119.76.

Suzu
10-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Cool.. So, where are you buying this? And is there any reason to do this now considering you do not know any sites that need hosting at this point?

I've used this service for the last five years, it has about a bunch of sites on it right now and the capacity for many, many more. Nothing brand new in the pipeline at the moment, but the bill is coming due shortly. The company is Hostmonster. They have a special deal for new customers, a reduced rate for the first year. I recommend them highly and if anyone wants to sign up and pay for an account, you can do what I'm doing, but please use the following link so I can get some referral credit:

http://www.hostmonster.com/track/suzu

Thanks!

brandon
10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
If you had used my hosting, you wouldn't have had to spend that 24x4.99=$119.76.

Would I have been able to have a top level domain? You only have 1 IP address, right?

ronpaulhawaii
10-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Would I have been able to have a top level domain? You only have 1 IP address, right?

I've had .com, .net, and .org sites hosted by Suzu. I have no idea how the single IP address fits in, but if your question is if you can have your own www.brandon.com type address, the answer, in my experience, has always been yes.

brandon
10-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I've had .com, .net, and .org sites hosted by Suzu. I have no idea how the single IP address fits in, but if your question is if you can have your own www.brandon.com type address, the answer, in my experience, has always been yes.

Thanks. Looks like it is possible to do this with apache. Cool!

Suzu
10-18-2010, 09:39 AM
The ChipIn (http://suzu.chipin.com/liberty-hosting-service) is way short of its goal. I realize that this month is a time when donations to liberty candidates takes priority and thus have decided that if the goal is not attained by the end of the day, I will pay for just a month of hosting now, and extend the ChipIn (http://suzu.chipin.com/liberty-hosting-service) until 11/18, by which time, hopefully, there will be sufficient funds to make the three-year commitment. In any event, I will not let the existing sites on the account be wiped out.

Many thanks to those who have chipped in so far.

DirtMcGirt
10-18-2010, 10:33 AM
The ChipIn (http://suzu.chipin.com/liberty-hosting-service) is way short of its goal. I realize that this month is a time when donations to liberty candidates takes priority and thus have decided that if the goal is not attained by the end of the day, I will pay for just a month of hosting now, and extend the ChipIn (http://suzu.chipin.com/liberty-hosting-service) until 11/18, by which time, hopefully, there will be sufficient funds to make the three-year commitment. In any event, I will not let the existing sites on the account be wiped out.

Many thanks to those who have chipped in so far.

Good observation w/ chip-in and the final push for campaign funds going on... After our Liberty candidates pull off some wins I'm sure the forums will adjust priorities and get behind your worthy project...

Suzu
10-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I wasn't able to renew for just a month, the minimum was 3 months. This cost $30, leaving $15 in the fund. I also wasn't able to extend the ChipIn, had to make a new one, with a different name. The new one is for $235, since there is still $15 available from the previous. Here's the new page:

http://suzu.chipin.com/suzus-hosting-service

Anyone who'd like to help by putting up a widget, PM me for the widget code.

Thanks again.