PDA

View Full Version : States Rights

BillyDkid
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
This whole states rights thing is something we need to get crystalized. I have a better understanding of the importance of states right (though I do believe, as I have read Dr. Paul saying himself) that states don't have "rights", people do. The problem with the term "states rights" is that many of us grew with the feeling that "states rights" was really synonymous with and a euphemism for racism. That was what the term represented in the sixties - George Wallace and such. I am not anymore comfortable with the State NY, for example, making decisions and life choices for me than I am with the feds doing it. And this whole idea that if you don't like one state you move to another is really rather nonsense. The hope is as the federal government becomes more liberal (in the original sense of the term) the states will follow suite, but there is no assurance at all of that and you shouldn't have to go to the supreme court to have you basic human rights enforced. I know we have to start somewhere and electing Ron Paul is a great start if we can do it. I just hope as the feds become less collective and authoritarian thinking the states don't become more so. any thoughts about this? my best, bdk

Zarxrax
10-18-2007, 12:55 PM
One MAJOR importance of states having rights rather than the federal government:
It's a LOT easier to create change at the local level than at the federal level. Is there a federal issue that you don't agree with? Well, you honestly can't do much about it. Is your state doing something wrong? Well you can get out there and campaign and raise awareness in your local community, and CHANGE CAN HAPPEN!

Additionally, the entire country is not the same. We are a very diverse group of citizens, and the landscape of the country varies wildly. Whats appropriate for california is not the best decision for kentucky!

Matt Collins
10-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I second what "Z" said.