PDA

View Full Version : Mailing lists by zip code - Direct mail

AdamT
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
My PAC is considering direct mailings, where we'd mail out a 4/4 full page 3 panel bi-fold. For $175 you can get a bulk mail stamp and postage goes down to 24¢ vs 41¢. You must send a minimum of 200 pieces at a time.

For the same postage, full color post cards are another option and you wouldn't need the bulk stamp (which saves the $175 fee).
[Edit, I wonder if a carefully designed post card would be more effective since it's a nice little card vs a bi-fold full page?]

How does one acquire a data file with all mailing address registered to a certain zip code? Anyone know?

Geronimo
10-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Bump

Matt Collins
10-18-2007, 11:01 PM
You should see this on marketing Ron Paul first:
http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25536

Sematary
10-18-2007, 11:03 PM
My PAC is considering direct mailings, where we'd mail out a 4/4 full page 3 panel bi-fold. For $175 you can get a bulk mail stamp and postage goes down to 24¢ vs 41¢. You must send a minimum of 200 pieces at a time.

For the same postage, full color post cards are another option and you wouldn't need the bulk stamp (which saves the $175 fee).
[Edit, I wonder if a carefully designed post card would be more effective since it's a nice little card vs a bi-fold full page?]

How does one acquire a data file with all mailing address registered to a certain zip code? Anyone know?

If I understand correctly, you can simply ask your post office to tell you how many people have mailing addresses in a given zip code then ask them to deliver that many pieces of mail to that specific zip code - everyone will get one.

AdamT
10-18-2007, 11:48 PM
You should see this on marketing Ron Paul first:
http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25536

Thanks Matt, I've seen that and have it bookmarked.

max
10-18-2007, 11:51 PM

google: registerd voter mailing lists

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Check with your local post office's main branch about classes in mass mailings and what you can do to conform to their systems and also cut costs.

Johncjackson
10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
There are also Print and Mail companies that do this. You use their permit and they only charge the actual postage. You can order mailing lists from a lot of places or build your own.

Bradley in DC
10-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Also, you can do a data request with the local board of elections which will only have the registered voters (or just Rs if a closed primary). ;)

reaver
10-20-2007, 08:41 PM
bumping for adamT.*

tekkierich
10-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Adam, I am very interested to hear if you obtain a Bulk permit via this PAC. In Maryland we are nearly complete with this project using stamps. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25841

We used stamps so that we might avoid the PAC complications. We would like to organize an effort to send out another mailing to these folks in two weeks or so. Would your bulk permit be available in time and would we be able to funnel though your PAC to do this?

you may e-mail me via rich at richandwendy dot com

Matt Collins
10-21-2007, 10:52 AM
One thing to keep in mind for direct mailings is that the entire point of the envelope or outer covering is to get the person to open it. In other words, if it doesn't get opened it's wasted so you've got to do everything you can to get them to want to open the envelope.

AdamT
10-21-2007, 11:17 AM
One thing to keep in mind for direct mailings is that the entire point of the envelope or outer covering is to get the person to open it. In other words, if it doesn't get opened it's wasted so you've got to do everything you can to get them to want to open the envelope.

We wouldn't be using envelopes. Just a full page folded and stapled. There would be a section left unprinted where the address would go.

lynnf
10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Also, you can do a data request with the local board of elections which will only have the registered voters (or just Rs if a closed primary). ;)

look out for out-of-date lists -- groups in Texas have run into that, seems there may
not be a requirement to provide an up-to-date list.

lynn

Corydoras
10-21-2007, 11:29 AM
What I have always heard is that postcards have a huge marketing advantage over anything that has to be opened or unfolded.

I think above all that you need to cost this out very carefully, because a small difference in the number of pieces can make a huge difference in mailing cost.

For example, if four-color postcards are expensive to get on their own and you are doing a relatively small mailing, you might want to go with the USPS-sponsored print-and-mail service.
http://www.premiumpostcard.com/index.php?page=483#1

They even provide mailing addresses:
https://infousa.amazingmail.com/DefaultMain.aspx

Energy
10-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Postcards all the way (direct mail is highly effective and targeted):

Postcards are time-savers. Recipients don't even have to open an envelope to read your message. United States Postal Service studies have shown that, on average, only 14 percent of letters get read? On the other hand, postcards have a 94 percent readthrough ratio!

Postcards don't take up a lot of space. People can carry them in their pockets and pocketbooks, or even create postcard displays on their refrigerator doors!

Plus, a postcard isn't just something to send through the mail. You can use postcards as oversized handouts, hang tags, and mini information sheets.

Jumbo (5.5" x 8.5") is desired but standard 4x5 is fine if budget is limited.

Just the fact that people don't have to open anything justifies the small extra cost in using postcards. Some mailing outfits (that print AND mail, just give list) can get postage down to around .17 from bulk pricing.

Just make sure to put thought in designing the postcard especially copywriting. Have calls-to-action (e.g. go to youtube). Experiment with exciting, attention-getting, eyeball-grabbing headlines to get people to read (e.g. "Ron Paul Cured My Apathy", "I just registered as a Republican to vote for Ron Paul, here's why..."). Avoid being just another boring, cookie-cutter promo.

Matt Collins
10-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes on the postcards. They have a disadvantage due to their size, but they also have advantages.

It seems that Cory and Energy seem to also have marketing backgrounds too.

tekkierich
10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
4 1/4 inch X 6 inches is the regulation size for the 26cent stamp rate.

http://richandwendy.com/ronpaul/final.jpg

This is a very good guide for how to design the front of a post card, and is the template I used to design above.
http://www.overnightprints.com/main.php?A=USPS&ONPSESS=96475bdaf0bf5673ff41e030e611a2d1

Corydoras
10-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Remember to use the area AROUND the address like Rich shows.

Bruehound
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I have planned and executived dozens of political mailings with hundreds of thousands of pieces and would humbly make the following suggestions.

I would strongly recommend using "flat' pieces(i.e. just two sides no folds). Imagine 6x10 or 8x11 postcards. You can get huge economies of scale using a printer that uses a 19x 25 "work and turn" press and have multiple duplications of your piece laid out in that sheet then cut and finished.

Use a professional mailing house to address and mail your piece. Often times they can use their bulk permit.

The United States Post Office is required to 'red tag' all political mail 30 days before an election. The means bulk rate postage on political mail is treated as if it were First Class mail. This means you can resonable time your mailers to the day but make sure you monitor and communicate with the Postmasters because this part is highly susceptible to either shenanigans(but mostly likely incompetence). And be nice to them...remember the post office is a monoply and they know it. You have no where else to go and they know it so charm them.

Mailings should always be targeted using voter lists and narrowed by removing those who will not vote for your candidate. Removing Democrats who have voted in the last 3 consecutive Democratic primaries would be my suggestion to start. Many mailing houses will also service your list brokering needs as well. In house Data managers will work closely with you on this.

Keep the mailing light on text(just because you like to read doesn't mean the recipient does too). Make RP's name HUGE and don't be afraid of blank space and imagery. Concise bullet points that all commonly reiterate and reinforce the theme of the mailer(i.e. taxes, property rights, foriegn policy--and stay with only one subject). Captions under a photo should be used as if they are bullet points.

Remember, white is a color too(well, not technically but you get my meaning).

Good luck with this project.

crazyfacedjenkins
12-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey guys this is gold mine of information! I have no marketing background, so this is all new to me. I would like to pull off something like this in NJ.

Our meetup was throwing around the idea of getting a group of telemarketers to survey our list of republicans in NJ, then bulk mail them with appropriate literature. If we had 100,000 republicans vote in our last primary, how many would we have to reach to consider winning? Also, how much would mailing cost on those people?

crazyfacedjenkins
12-06-2007, 12:48 PM
What a great thread, too bad it's boring old direct mailing. You know that tried and true method that has been working for years and not XTREME MARKETING, with back flips and sky divers and shit. Otherwise people would be keeping this thread alive. Oh well...

shrugged0106
12-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Infousa or sales genie would be another option, you can parse out the lists by category (zip, etc) too. It's a little more costly, but I find that I get better leads in terms of quality through them

Bruehound
12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Use voter data so you only will make contact with voters.