PDA

View Full Version : Hispanics are a Democrat voting bloc...... Right?

Kludge
10-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Maybe not (at least, not as significantly as you may think) according to a Pew Hispanic Center poll. While Republican Hispanics are largely outnumbered by Democrat Hispanics, Hispanic Republicans are significantly more involved (considerate, at least) in the political process. The poll also reveals that Hispanic voters are less likely than an "average" voter to definitely vote this year by ~20%.

Survey & detailed summary @ http://pewhispanic.org/reports/report.php?ReportID=127

johngr
10-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Largely European Cubanos vote Republican. Central American Mestizos vote Democrat as a block.

Fr3shjive
10-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Seriously though, what's appealing about the GOP the way it is now? They represent endless war, massive military spending and big government. Whats appealing about that?

Now the message that Ron Paul is promoting would definitely attract a lot more hispanics, imo, but as it is now the GOP doesnt really have much to offer anybody.

Icymudpuppy
10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
75% of the new small businesses in my area are run by hispanics. Small business owners are usually small government advocates as government hurts small businesses the most.

How many mexican food places, landscaping services, handyman contractors, etc do you know that are run by hispanics?

erowe1
10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Seriously though, what's appealing about the GOP the way it is now? They represent endless war, massive military spending and big government. Whats appealing about that?

Unfortunately, it's appealing enough that about half of all voters vote for it in any given election.

The other half vote for the Democrat party, which represents endless war, massive military spending, and even bigger government.

MelissaWV
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, it's appealing enough that about half of all voters vote for it in any given election.

The other half vote for the Democrat party, which represents endless war, massive military spending, and even bigger government.

And at least as many people stay home. I don't think those that stay home are as apathetic, on the whole, as we're lead to believe. I think a large number just don't want to vote for the lesser evil, think their vote won't count (they're kind of right, actually), or something along those lines.

As a tangent to this, I have a dream. No, not an MLK-constantly-replayed dream, either. I have a dream that every voting method will have to, by law, include an option for write-in (or type-in via electronic voting machine). I have a dream that, when people see the totals on election night, they'll notice that the write-in has a whole lot of votes... yet either red or blue will win the day. I have a dream that more folks will see the problem with thinking their vote in the General Election counts for more than a sticker and feeling good about themselves, and get involved in the process earlier (or retool it so that the current shell game of electoral votes changes in their state). Right now, half the country's possible voters wander out and cast their vote for red or blue, and they don't realize it really doesn't matter.

LibertyVox
10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Largely European Cubanos vote Republican. Central American Mestizos vote Democrat as a block.

I don't know form where you got that notion.

Overwhelming number of Cubanos in the US are infact of what you termed as "euro" extraction. And they like the general Hispanic voting block agree with Democrats on sociopolitical issues and with Repubs on value issues.
And btw, Cubans are the most educated of the hispanic demographic.

Dianne
10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
I think most American citizens (hispanic, jewish, southern, polish) do attempt to vote in the right way; provided the Black Panthers don't have a baseball bat to your head in the booth.

I expect all American citizens, regardless of race, to exercise their best judgement when they vote. I'm not one to say all hispanics will vote to re-elect the prick in the White House... I am hoping they have figured out he is an elite fraud. So let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt, that the majority know the White House is a complete scam.

Fozz
10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Would it be good for us if Rubio wins?

oyarde
10-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Would it be good for us if Rubio wins?

Fiscally , yes . Look at the alternatives .

torchbearer
10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
being that most hispanics in the mexican region are devout catholics, they probably don't support any pro-choice candidates based on that single issue.

malkusm
10-07-2010, 07:23 PM
This is my Democratic representative. She wins with 90%+ of the vote every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nydia_Vel%C3%A1zquez

I'll believe Hispanics voting Republican when I see it.

oyarde
10-07-2010, 07:34 PM
being that most hispanics in the mexican region are devout catholics, they probably don't support any pro-choice candidates based on that single issue.

I wonder about that . Most blacks do not support gay marriage or abortion but vote for Dem candidates that do .

torchbearer
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I wonder about that . Most blacks do not support gay marriage or abortion but vote for Dem candidates that do .

abortion seems to be a one issue kinda thing for faithers. the other 99% of their policies could be Stalin and they'd vote for him.

Marenco
10-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Well in my district that is 62.3% Hispanic(who are mostly Mexican) vote democrat the majority of them. The last republican who got elected here was in 1972.

Hilda Solis who is Obama's Secretary of Labor won here 4 times 2002-2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California%27s_32nd_congressional_district

Maybe i should start thinking of moving.