PDA

View Full Version : Lottery for public office, no more elections

MN Patriot
10-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Was talking with a co-worker at lunch today. He suggested getting rid of elections and just have a lottery for public office. Your average citizen could probably do just as well as the ruthless power hungry maniacs that get elected year after year.

I thought about it, and maybe this would be a good way to go. Benefits:

No long drawn out elections where the most devious person wins with help from his cheating supporters.
Fair representation of the population, since drawing a person's name by chance gives every segment of the population a chance to govern.
If a person didn't want to serve, draw again until someone who does want to serve wins. Everyone would be eligible every election.
Could be implemented in a state (something for you free state people to think of) to prove its feasibility.

Any other ideas of why/why not pursue this?

RonPaulCult
10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I've been thinking this way for many years. Why not? We have jury duty and I think that usually works quite well.

I say the terms should last two years. They should be given a rich salary for the rest of the lives once out of office - but they can never again take a job in the private sector. That way they can't be bought off.

Haha - crazy but maybe just crazy enough to work. One can dream.

Vessol
10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Start at 1:00

YouTube - Harrison Bergeron 4/9 PL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7UD5lglE9U)

jmhudak17
10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
the problem with that would be that politicians would have even less accountability than before. they wouldn't have to worry about getting voted out of office since there would be no re-elections.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
How about we try no public office? Voluntary organizations sound good?

reardenstone
10-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Though I support Ron Paul, I think term limits are a great start and most people "get" the idea of term limits. Beyond that, free and equal advertisement time for all candidates would help shore up disparity between the well funded and publicized and the smaller parties without huge war chests.
Any political party can get on the ballot.

If a lot of candidates run, run-offs may be needed.