PDA

View Full Version : UK Tories Cut UK version of Child Tax Credit...

nate895
10-06-2010, 01:59 AM
on "breakfast television," which appears to be taboo in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/8044767/Clever-politics-No-crass-and-out-of-touch.html

Clever politics? No, crass and out of touch
Telegraph View: the ham-fisted plan to withdraw child benefit appears to be about political positioning, pure and simple

The collateral damage from the Government's ham-fisted plan to withdraw child benefit from higher-rate taxpayers has been severe. It has overshadowed the first party conference in 14 years at which the Conservatives can celebrate being in power. David Cameron was forced to spend much of yesterday touring the broadcasting studios on a firefighting mission; George Osborne had to write to all Tory MPs explaining that he had no alternative but to use such a blunt instrument because a fairer mechanism based on household incomes would "create a new complex, costly and intrusive means test". Both men hinted that tax breaks for married couples or even a transferable tax allowance would be introduced by the end of this Parliament to soften the impact of the benefit withdrawal.

I just popped onto the Telegraph's website to get my daily dose of British news (I'm a bit of an Anglophile), when I come across them bashing the Tories everywhere. That is incredibly strange considering that they (or at least most of the contributors) are Tories. I mean how bad do you have to be to have your own base turn against you. Of course, they do have some of the farther right contributors, such as Daniel Hannan and Peter Hitchens (Christopher's younger brother), who absolutely hate the leadership of the Conservatives.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this to say that it's a good thing that I don't live in the UK because it seems the Tories are worse than our own GOP.

BTW, I'm trying to post the pic they have of the PM on the frontpage (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/) of the website, but I can't find a link to it. It's absolutely priceless.