10-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Free State Project - Wyoming

http://www.freestatewyoming.org/

Anyone here from Wyoming?

davidkachel
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Why couldn't there be a free state project where it's warm??!!! <grin>

BTW, just looked at your web site.
The fact that all your most recent items and announcements are many months old/out-of-date does serious harm to your credibility.
Anyone seeing this site for the first time would logically assume the project no longer exists.

perpetualstateofwar
10-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I say if Ron Paul loses we all move to Alaska and join the Alaska Independence Party and secede from the US. We can vote Ron Paul as our 1st President.

davidkachel
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I say if Ron Paul loses we all move to Alaska and join the Alaska Independence Party and secede from the US. We can vote Ron Paul as our 1st President.

OK, I'll go dammit, but you're paying for my electric socks!!!

nexalacer
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Alaska? Wyoming? New Hampshire? Damn, why doesn't anyone suggest sunny Alcapulco or Hawaii or somewhere that doesn't get covered in snow for many months of the year. Yuck, count me out!

davidkachel
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
What the hell is wrong with Texas???

kylejack
10-18-2007, 10:56 AM
23.5 million people.

FSP-Rebel
10-18-2007, 10:58 AM
NO, NH is the more likely state to secede. AK land and resouces are owned in large part by the fed gov and wouldn't easily be let go of. As far as FSP-WY, it's a joke compared to the NH group and was basically developed by someone who didn't want to move east. A new, independent country needs its own ports. Wyoming could never work.
And, regarding the fact that either proposed free state would be cold we need to remember that heated cars/homes have been around for a while now. Talking about a small inconvenience for liberty, I'm surprised that an RP Patriot would bring up such a non-issue. I seem to remember the colonial militia camping at Valley Forge and some soldiers had no shoes or coats. 'Nough said:rolleyes:

kylejack
10-18-2007, 10:59 AM
NO, NH is the more likely state to secede. AK land and resouces are owned in large part by the fed gov and wouldn't easily be let go of. As far as FSP-WY, it's a joke compared to the NH group and was basically developed by someone who didn't want to move east.
Boston T. Party, if I recall correctly.

nexalacer
10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
NO, NH is the more likely state to secede. AK land and resouces are owned in large part by the fed gov and wouldn't easily be let go of. As far as FSP-WY, it's a joke compared to the NH group and was basically developed by someone who didn't want to move east. A new, independent country needs its own ports. Wyoming could never work.
And, regarding the fact that either proposed free state would be cold we need to remember that heated cars/homes have been around for a while now. Talking about a small inconvenience for liberty, I'm surprised that an RP Patriot would bring up such a non-issue. I seem to remember the colonial militia camping at Valley Forge and some soldiers had no shoes or coats. 'Nough said:rolleyes:

If I'm not happy in my place of residence, I'm not free. And I'm not happy living in cold weather.

FrankRep
10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I love Texas, but it's just so darn BIG.

austin356
10-18-2007, 11:01 AM

they have Mexicans there:p :p :p :p

FSP-Rebel
10-18-2007, 11:02 AM
If I'm not happy in my place of residence, I'm not free. And I'm not happy living in cold weather.
I'm sorry to hear that...

FrankRep
they have mexicans there

Mexican girls. :D

kylejack

Don't worry, there's plenty of warm statist places for you.

Elwar
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
The Free State Project is a project to get 20,000 people to move to a single state where they would be able to effectively make a difference in the state to move toward a small and limited government.

For 20,000 people to be effective they needed a state with a small population (doing some comparisons with Quebec and the political change there they needed a state population below 1 million).

None of the southern states had a small enough population where 20,000 people would be effective in making a significant enough change.

As it turns out, from early successes, just 500 activists can make a change as they have in New Hampshire...with one of the Free Staters winning a place in the state government, helping to pass several bills, stopping a lot of big government bills, etc.

Before I gave up on politics (before Ron Paul announced his candidacy) I used to hang out at the freestateproject.org forums. They had the most in depth pro-liberty debates and information on the Internet. Every aspect of libertarian politics is dissected in detail by its many forum users, and New Hampshire is beneffitting from such intellectual discourse through the feet on the ground.

Southern states like Texas or Hawaii would sweep aside such a small minority as an annoyance. New Hampshire, with it's already vocal Live Free or Die attitude is quite open to the small government attitude of the Free Staters.

For the rest of us, if you want liberty...Ron Paul is our best chance.

DrNoZone
10-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I initially, as a FSP member, voted for WY to be the Free State. I opted out of all other states if WY didn't win, and it obviously didn't. Well, since then I've come to realize just how wise choosing NH as the Free State really was, so I've joined again!

unklejman
10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Let's pick a state that doesn't have a scary super mega ultra volcano under it.

Let's see if the Bahamas will let us use a couple of Islands. Their population is 300,529, and %60 of them are on one Island. (Nassau)

FrankRep
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, lets win over one state at a time. I agree with that.

FSP-Rebel
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Let's pick a state that doesn't have a scary super mega ultra volcano under it.
Thx, I totally forgot about that. That would just make the power elites day. I can see just see them laughing now.

mavtek
10-18-2007, 11:19 AM
The only problem I can see with New Hampshire is the price of land and cost of living. What about South Carolina?

DrNoZone
10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
The only problem I can see with New Hampshire is the price of land and cost of living. What about South Carolina?

Do some research at the FSP website. There was a ton of discussion and research done on each of the states in the running. You can't pick just one or two issues and say NH isn't a good choice. There are so many variables which have to be taken into consideration. The biggest issue is: does the political climate of state X work for or against the FSP; and for NH, the answer is that the political climate strongly favors the FSP.

Minlawc
10-18-2007, 11:25 AM

Yes!
Colbert for President!

freedominnumbers
10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Do some research at the FSP website. There was a ton of discussion and research done on each of the states in the running. You can't pick just one or two issues and say NH isn't a good choice. There are so many variables which have to be taken into consideration. The biggest issue is: does the political climate of state X work for or against the FSP; and for NH, the answer is that the political climate strongly favors the FSP.

I live in CT and have been seriously considering moving. The reason is the cost of living. It is almost impossible to support a traditional one income household in CT. Unfortunately that rules out participation in the FSP because the cost of living is equally as high. From all the research I've done NH and CT are almost identical cost of living wise, the difference is it's colder.

Bruehound
10-18-2007, 12:35 PM
All factors considered, NH cost of living is about 25% lower than here in suburban Chicago.

Remember folks, no state income tax or sales tax. Housing is one third lower than where i currently reside and NH property taxes are ten percent lower.

And yes, the native population is very much libertarian minded. They have no seat belt law for adults and while that may sound trivial to some in reality it means they are actually rejecting federal highway funding because they do not want to be told what to do. It is a statement of defiance.