PDA

View Full Version : Girl dies from asthma attack, cop refuses to help, writes ticket instead

Anti Federalist
10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Updates to this story in the latest from Will Grigg.

The Government “Protection” Racket

Posted by William Grigg on October 5, 2010 04:00 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/66759.html#more-66759

A few weeks ago, 11-year-old Brooklyn resident Briana Ojeda suffered a severe asthma attack. Frantic to elude heavy traffic en route to the hospital, the girl’s mother, Carmen, took a detour in the wrong direction on a one-way street. As she did so, Carmen collided with a parked car. This attracted the attention of Alfonso Mendez, an armed revenue farmer in the employ of the NYPD.

“What the f**k are you doing going down the wrong way?” the officer inquired, displaying the professional composure that typifies his caste.

“Help! My daughter needs CPR!” replied the panicking mother.

“I don’t do CPR,” responded Mendez with a smirk. After moving his vehicle to box in the the car containing the dying child, Mendez started to scribble out an extortion note (often called a “traffic ticket”).

Carmen managed to free her car and drive her daughter to Long Island College Hospital. Mendez — who had done nothing to help but was determined to meet his quota — pursued them. Although Briana was still breathing at the time of the traffic stop, she died at the hospital. Mendez reacted to the news by tearing up the citation. He then shaved his head so as to throw off any eyewitnesses to the depraved indifference he had displayed toward the Carmen as her stricken 11-year-old daughter struggled to breathe.

Like all other NYPD officers, Mendez was trained in CPR. He has been suspended without pay, and may face “departmental charges” for “failing to act.” Briana’s parents have announced plans to sue the city. Supporters of the bereaved family have called for enactment of a law that would make it a misdemeanor for a police officer not to render aid in similar situations.

The inconsolable loss suffered by Briana’s parents — who had paid for government-provided “protective services” that were arbitrarily withheld, with unfathomably tragic results — didn’t trigger a gusher of pious indignation from Keith Olbermann. MSNBC’s resident collectivist scold reserves such reactions for stories he can contort into bogus indictments of the non-coercive sector. This is why he seized on the tragic account of Tennessee residents Gene and Paulette Cranick, whose house burned down after the South Fulton Fire Department refused to answer their request for help.

The South Fulton municipal government charges a $75 annual fire protection fee for non-residents, which the Cranicks had neglected to pay. After the fire spread to the property of a neighbor who had paid the fee, the department responded in force, but did nothing to prevent the Cranicks’ home from burning down.

People of a collectivist mindset (Paul Krugman among them) insist that this episode is an indictment of what Olbermann calls “à la carte government,” illustrating the supposed need for coercive provision of an ever-growing number of services as “public goods.” However, “à la carte” coverage is a common feature of fully funded government “protection” services.

Police are not legally or civilly required to come to the aid of an individual citizen threatened with criminal violence. Not long ago, Oakland, California Police Chief Anthony Batts announced that his officers will no longer respond to burglary calls and other crimes. This announced reduction in police “protection” came after 80 officers were laid off when contract negotiations broke down between the police union and the city government over the question of job security: The Oakland Police Officers Association demanded that the inexperienced officers — each of whom cost the city an estimated $188,000 annually in salary and benefits — receive a three-year employment guarantee. And at least one city – Tracey, California – has started to impose a surcharge for 911 services already paid for through telephone fees.

Tracey’s arrangement — which is intended to mulct the productive in order to pay the pensions of the local parasite class — was not the same as the one in South Fulton, Tennessee, where the fire department offered an opt-in service for people who didn’t reside within city limits. In fact, the Cranick tragedy actually offers an argument for full privatization of fire services, rather than a government-run subscription service: Mr. Cranick offered to pay whatever fee the department would charge, but was turned down as a matter of policy. It’s also worth noting that although the firefighters did nothing to save the Cranicks’ home, they didn’t stand idly by while a human being was dying, or actively impede efforts to help the victim, as Officer Mendez did in the case of Briana Ojeda.

None of these instances of bureaucratic greed and calculated cruelty caused Olbermann’s lip to curl in disgust or his eyebrows to knot in theatrical fury, since they aren’t useful in his efforts to promote the gospel of better living through official coercion.

phill4paul
10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Old news I think. But at this point who the fuck knows?

More importantly... who the fuck, if anyone, cares.

And if they care...what the fuck are they gonna do about it?

ChaosControl
10-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Piece of **** cop needs to be thrown in jail for life.

mczerone
10-05-2010, 05:51 PM
How does anyone expect a coercive monopoly to handle police or fire service or market regulation or schooling or banking or postal service or commuter railroads or ports or defense or space exploration or science or arts benefaction or dispute adjudication or criminal prosecution or money issuance or deed registration?

Liberty and Property.

nate895
10-05-2010, 05:54 PM
This is voluntary manslaughter, and ought to be treated as such.

mczerone
10-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Old news I think. But at this point who the fuck knows?

More importantly... who the fuck, if anyone, cares.

And if they care...what the fuck are they gonna do about it?

"Who ... cares"? I do. And so should anyone who has to live under this incompetent class despotism.

"what the fuck are they gonna do about it?" Stop consenting. Start providing my own peaceful and effective alternatives.

Time for a Positive Mental Attitude, phill.

phill4paul
10-05-2010, 06:35 PM
"Who ... cares"? I do. And so should anyone who has to live under this incompetent class despotism.

Glad you are. Me to too. My "WTF"s are give out though. How about yours>?

"what the fuck are they gonna do about it?" Stop consenting. Start providing my own peaceful and effective alternatives.

Stop consenting? ORLY? Is that all it takes? Peaceful and effective alternatives? Care to elucidate?

Time for a Positive Mental Attitude, phill.

Don't mistake my post for a negative mental attitude. It is subjective.

Kotin
10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
This is voluntary manslaughter, and ought to be treated as such.

I could not agree more. this is completely outrageous!

this shit needs the stop.. the law might be good but I don't like the knee-jerk reaction to pass a law everytime something happens... obviously there are laws on the books already to deal with this.

youngbuck
10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I believe as time goes on, more and more cops will be of this ilk.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-05-2010, 09:28 PM
an armed revenue farmer in the employ of the NYPD.

:)

james1906
10-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Doctors can be sued for malpractice, why not cops?

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2010, 09:40 PM
He has been suspended without pay, and may face “departmental charges” for “failing to act.”

Wow, that's harsh punishment. The obvious lesson to LEOs based on this and other recent stories would be to shoot and kill anyone who may need help. That results in no punishment. Failing to help someone may result in punishment. Shoot first, render aid, well, never. :rolleyes:

Kylie
10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I believe as time goes on, more and more cops will be of this ilk.

And as time goes on, I'll bet we will see more and more of them die by the hand of the people they oppress.

CCTelander
10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Doctors can be sued for malpractice, why not cops?

It's called sovereign or qualified immunity.

Here's a whole thread on the subject:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=228509