PDA

View Full Version : Georgia to allow right to travel without a license

knarfxii
10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
GEORGIA TO ALLOW RIGHT TO DRIVE WITHOUT A LICENSE This
Act shall be known and may be cited as the "Right to Travel Act." http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/fulltext/hb875.htm

dannno
10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Wait, did it pass?!!

nate895
10-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I enjoyed the citation of the Magna Carta. It just proves how far we have fallen that autocrats acknowledged more rights to their people than modern democracies.

amy31416
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Weird--first thing that came up with initial research.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875

djdellisanti4
10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Act shall be known and may be cited as the "Right to Travel Act." http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/fulltext/hb875.htm

One of the most beautifully written pieces of legislation i have ever seen.

RonPaulCult
10-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Too bad I don't see this passing in Georgia or anywhere - but I hope I'm wrong

aGameOfThrones
10-05-2010, 05:26 PM

It's not to Drive. The Right to Travel has always existed it's when people exchange their Right for a privilege that's the problem.

nobody's_hero
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Well, it would certainly be a sweet indulgence coming from the "Republican" legislative assembly that snatched up the right of people to not wear seatbelts in pick-up trucks last summer.

My state—the last state to do away with the last seatbelt exemption in the United States.

Oh well, there are always motorcycles . . . for now.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Someone did a nice job preparing that.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Well, it would certainly be a sweet indulgence coming from the "Republican" legislative assembly that snatched up the right of people to not wear seatbelts in pick-up trucks last summer.

My state—the last state to do away with the last seatbelt exemption in the United States.

Oh well, there are always motorcycles . . . for now.

Actually, there are no seatbelt laws in NH. :D

nobody's_hero
10-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Ah, then I blame the nanny staters who claimed everyone else had done away with seatbelt freedom, to trick and pressure us Georgians into doing away with it.

Then so long as one remains, there is hope.

(Actually, it was mostly due to the fact that the Federal Government said "no highway funds for you unless you mandate seatbelts for everyone". To which our cowardly state assembly came to attention, saluted the leviathan, then turned to Georgia pickup truck owners and said "Click it or Ticket!")

Anti Federalist
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
It's not to Drive. The Right to Travel has always existed it's when people exchange their Right for a privilege that's the problem.

The General Assembly finds that:
(1) Free people have a common law and constitutional right to travel on the roads and highways that are provided by their government for that purpose. Licensing of drivers cannot be required of free people because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of an inalienable right

Anti Federalist
10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Ah, then I blame the nanny staters who claimed everyone else had done away with seatbelt freedom, to trick and pressure us Georgians into doing away with it.

Then so long as one remains, there is hope.

(Actually, it was mostly due to the fact that the Federal Government said "no highway funds for you unless you mandate seatbelts for everyone". To which our cowardly state assembly came to attention, saluted the leviathan, then turned to Georgia pickup truck owners and said "Click it or Ticket!")

They tried to do the same thing here, well did, actually, I think we lose some 3 million a year in federal payola loot.

Thankfully we stood them down.

Should have seen the cops lining up for it as well.

Must have been some funding for them too.

Matt Collins
10-05-2010, 08:39 PM
(1) Free people have a common law and constitutional right to travel on the roads and highways that are provided by their government for that purpose. Licensing of drivers cannot be required of free people because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of an inalienable rightThe phrase "constitutional right" should be replaced by "natural right" or "right guaranteed by the Constitution"

QueenB4Liberty
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
*Playing devils advocate* But if it's a government road, the government should decide the requirements of its use? IE, requiring all drivers to be "licensed"

mrsat_98
10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=251779&highlight=georgia+travel

Older thread on the subject.

did it pass ?

Matt Collins
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
*Playing devils advocate* But if it's a government road, the government should decide the requirements of its use? IE, requiring all drivers to be "licensed"
This is why the government shouldn't be in the business of building, maintaining, or owning roads.

osan
10-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Being as there is no such material entity as "government", the answer to your question is an unequivocal "no".

oyarde
10-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Well , the govt. is paying for the road with my money . Why does the license cost so much ?

Promontorium
10-05-2010, 10:17 PM
NH does require minors to wear seatbelts.

Kregisen
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Did this pass? Is it on the ballot for later? What's the scoop?

johngr
10-06-2010, 01:16 AM

It is the ultimate in irony that the state's motto, "live free or die", is emblazoned on its state-required number plates.

Mr. Smith
10-06-2010, 02:27 AM
So if this passes, a 7 year old can drive a car on the highway?

aGameOfThrones
10-06-2010, 04:59 AM
(1) Free people have a common law and constitutional right to travel on the roads and highways that are provided by their government for that purpose. Licensing of drivers cannot be required of free people because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of an inalienable right

So we are in agreement?

Driving denotes Commerce, while Traveling by means of convenience and property denotes Right.

aGameOfThrones
10-06-2010, 05:21 AM
So if this passes, a 7 year old can drive a car on the highway?

Who is stopping a 7 year old from "driving" on the highway now? Is it a License the deterrent? Is it the 7 year old's parents? Who will be responsible for that 7 year old "driving" and causing damages? By Law a 7 year old can't contract without its legal guardian etc., so the owner of the Automobile or Motor Vehicle can face civil actions by those who wish to bring such actions to them for allowing a 7 year old kid to "drive". BTW, I didn't see that Act repealing anything about how Motor Vehicles are exempt from being registered or exempt from being ticketed.

Doing away with Licenses is trivial because you are still Responsible for any damages you cause etc., but they cannot give you citations for exercising a known Right. The State may still required you to pass a test to prove you can Manage that Automobile or Operate that Motor Vehicle by certifying and posting it on the Motor Vehicle's License. Until We are no longer Made to Register our Property to the State and relinquishing ownership...things will never truly change.

Bern
10-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Wait, did it pass?!!

Best I can tell, it's stuck in some committee:
Current Status
01/13/10 - House Second Readers

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/sum/hb875.htm

Elija
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Its the peoples road and the peoples government. Its my understanding thought that the license is a licence to operate a motor vehicle not a licence to travel on the state roads. Then again, try to walk or ride your horse down a state highway and they will have you in jail in under an hour. Once in jail you will be employed making goods that the devil will use to kill innocent people. Better that you cut off your hands than do the work of the devil.