PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Friedman on 2012

jabf2006
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm not a fan of Friedman, but its an interesting piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/opinion/03friedman.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general).

We need a third party on the stage of the next presidential debate to look Americans in the eye and say: “These two parties are lying to you. They can’t tell you the truth because they are each trapped in decades of special interests. I am not going to tell you what you want to hear. I am going to tell you what you need to hear if we want to be the world’s leaders, not the new Romans.”

More and more establishment types are talking like Ron Paul everyday.

Matt Collins
10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm not a fan of Friedman, but its an interesting piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/opinion/03friedman.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general).

More and more establishment types are talking like Ron Paul everyday.
If this is Milton Friedman's grandson, then he wants to bring about seasteading.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
If this is Milton Friedman's grandson, then he wants to bring about seasteading.

No, that is not Milton Friedman's grandson. Patri Friedman is :p

Flash
10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I was thinking may be Ron Paul should run as a Republican, get into the debates, then break off and start his own party. Perhaps call it something simple like the Tea Party or The Taxpayer's Party. I think the name Libertarian Party scares too many people off or confuses them, as the average American isn't too sure what exactly is a Libertarian. I believe he needs around 15% to get into the debates, right now in a hypothetical 3-way race between Obama/Romney/Paul the PPP puts him at 13%.

jabf2006
10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
I was thinking may be Ron Paul should run as a Republican, get into the debates, then break off and start his own party. Perhaps call it something simple like the Tea Party or The Taxpayer's Party. I think the name Libertarian Party scares too many people off or confuses them, as the average American isn't too sure what exactly is a Libertarian. I believe he needs around 15% to get into the debates, right now in a hypothetical 3-way race between Obama/Romney/Paul the PPP puts him at 13%.

Something that radical needs to occur organically. If Paul came out half-way through the election announcing a new party, noone would take him seriously.

Flash
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Something that radical needs to occur organically. If Paul came out half-way through the election announcing a new party, noone would take him seriously.

If it looks like Romney is going to secure the Republican nomination (as a number of early polls are saying) then I don't see why a good chunk of Conservatives would leave the GOP to vote for Ron Paul out of protest. But may be I am too optimistic. I really do think in a 3-way race where Ron is able to attend the debates he would manage to pull it off.

Eric21ND
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
If it looks like Romney is going to secure the Republican nomination (as a number of early polls are saying) then I don't see why a good chunk of Conservatives would leave the GOP to vote for Ron Paul out of protest. But may be I am too optimistic. I really do think in a 3-way race where Ron is able to attend the debates he would manage to pull it off.
The debates are controlled by the two major parties, so they won't invite you. And you have to be polling 15% before they even entertain inviting you to the party.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-06-2010, 06:32 PM
The debates are controlled by the two major parties, so they won't invite you. And you have to be polling 15% before they even entertain inviting you to the party.

Ron is polling 13% right now as an I in a 3 way-race. What makes you think he cannot get 2 more percent?

low preference guy
10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Ron is polling 13% right now as an I in a 3 way-race. What makes you think he cannot get 2 more percent?

never thought I'd see AED discussing the technicalities of electoral politics. it's pretty hilarious.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
never thought I'd see AED discussing the technicalities of electoral politics. it's pretty hilarious.

Indeed. Sometimes I feel a little dirty.