PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: "Dubious" Campaign Donations - WTF?

DeadheadForPaul
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM
2 links:
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/10/17/ron-paul-lists-some-colorful-donors/
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/the-early-read-dubious-campaign-donations/

"Ron Paul’s campaign donors have some of the most interesting jobs. His financial disclosure forms show he’s accepted checks from “a circus clown, diet guru, exotic dancer, monetary architect and slacker in chief.”"

Theyre really trying to discredit our campaign, huh?

werdd
10-18-2007, 10:24 AM
yeah but gay bar owners donating to hillary is AOK

Highmesa
10-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey, it's a big tent.

Appartently big enough to be a circus tent.

Ridiculous
10-18-2007, 10:25 AM
That's what happens when Rupert Murdoch buys the WSJ

LibertyEagle
10-18-2007, 10:27 AM
It's funny. Who cares? If someone who is unemployed thinks it important to donate to the campaign, heck, it should shame everyone else into doing so.

Just stay focused and spread the word.

saku39
10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
They just have to keep saying his name. People will begin to wonder, who is this Ron Paul guy and why do they keep mentioning him?

SouthernGuy15
10-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Look at the movie stars. They don't really care too much if people say bad things about them because the more times their name is mentioned to more they will be noticed!

Every time Ron Paul's name is mentioned he gets more and more publicity!

BlCkDeAtH
10-18-2007, 10:40 AM
a slacker is much better than some lobbying group.

Individual donors are the backbone of Paul’s operation which has relied heavily on grassroots activism and Internet fund-raising. All told in the third quarter, Paul took in $5.3 million in contributions, all but $6,725 of which came from individuals. The campaign has set an ambitious $12 million goal for the fourth quarter, which ends Dec. 31. Since the quarter began, the campaign has raised a little over $1 million — which is monitored in real-time on the campaign’s Web site.

How is that bad press?

Adamsa
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
What, unemployed people can't donate to his campaign now? WTF I'm sure lots of them donated to other candidates.

Ridiculous.

kylejack
10-18-2007, 10:42 AM
exotic dancer
Hahaha, Starchild.

Cindy
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
"Ron Paul’s campaign donors have some of the most interesting jobs. His financial disclosure forms show he’s accepted checks from “a circus clown, diet guru, exotic dancer, monetary architect and slacker in chief.”"

Fred Thompson donated to Pauls Campaign?

leipo
10-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Talking about campaign donations... Can anyone tell me or direct me to the total number of donating supporters from the last 3 quarters? I can't find them.

austin356
10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I kinda liked that write up.

What the heck was wrong with it? (read just the NYT)

When we get mentions like this it means we are top tier, you see any Brownback in there?

Grandson of Liberty
10-18-2007, 11:10 AM
To find this, it's obvious they were digging for some kind of dirt. It's amusing this is the best they could do. Hahaha.

EvilEngineer
10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
They just have to keep saying his name. People will begin to wonder, who is this Ron Paul guy and why do they keep mentioning him?

Yes, but unfortunately they can spin it like Iran. People don't know why we are gearing up for war with them, but even if they don't know ANYTHING about the country they are 100% sure they are "evil" cause thats what the tube keeps telling them.

Sheeple will always be sheeple....

jgmaynard
10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
His financial disclosure forms show he’s accepted checks from “a circus clown, diet guru, exotic dancer, monetary architect and slacker in chief.”"

And THAT'S just the Bush Administration! :D

JM

Paulitician
10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
To find this, it's obvious they were digging for some kind of dirt. It's amusing this is the best they could do. Hahaha.
Yeah, it's quite pathetic. Ron Paul supporters have a sense of humor, the horror :eek:

BLS
10-18-2007, 11:55 AM
FUCK RUPERT MURDOCH.

You HEAR that Rupert? Come and get some you F'ing c0cksucker.

:D

American
10-18-2007, 12:08 PM
WOW, some really good comments on that article, I hope it keeps up.

Johnnybags
10-18-2007, 12:19 PM
R.I.P.

Mainstream Media

1776 - 2007

Cause of Death: Irrelevancy

davidhperry
10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Theyre really trying to discredit our campaign, huh?

You're kidding, right? I seriously doubt that this was intended to be a critique on the RP campaign. Did you really view it that way?

KewlRonduderules
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
You're kidding, right? I seriously doubt that this was intended to be a critique on the RP campaign. Did you really view it that way?

My sense is that they were trying to reinforce the idea of Dr. Paul being a fringe candidate attracting these types of people.

In this respect, I think it was complete nonsense.

nullvalu
10-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Yep.. I was playing Quake 3 Arena yesterday (yes, people still play that game!) with the nickname "RonPaul4Prez" and a guy was asking through chat who Ron Paul is, he keeps hearing about him.. Word's getting out..

McDermit
10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
lol@that quote.

I love it.

davidhperry
10-18-2007, 01:02 PM
My sense is that they were trying to reinforce the idea of Dr. Paul being a fringe candidate attracting these types of people.

In this respect, I think it was complete nonsense.

I agree and I could see how it could be viewed this way. On the other hand, I think this is like a lot of the other human-interest stories that are published every day. My guess is that the reporter was sort of curious to see where Ron's support was coming from so they decided to look deeper. Like a lot of bloggers, they were probably just looking for something out of the ordinary to post about.

Primbs
10-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I could appreciate the humor however,

It does reinforce a false stereotype about Ron Paul. That is not good.

If it had read doctors support Ron Paul, military supports Ron Paul, main stream sectors of society support Ron Paul, that would have been helpful to the campaign.

Other doctors would have been influenced to give as well if they see doctors are donating to Ron Paul.

I would like to see if small businessmen, ranchers, farmers and other occupations donate to Ron Paul.

Somebody should start looking at the donor occupations to see what we can find that will help the campaign raise even more money.

Ron Paul should be supported by the average american. Ron Paul's bill to make tips tax free should be promoted to mainstream of America.

Lord Xar
10-18-2007, 01:24 PM
You know what is soooooo funny.. SHILLARY Clinton is the biggest fundraising corruption person alive and they are writing about Ron Paul and 'unique' persons donating... like a clown.. as if that is something to be ashamed of. Americans of all walks of life do all sorts of jobs....

I guess if you are not taking donations from the military industrial complex, special interests etc... then there is an issue. unbelievable.

So funny. I mean, lets get real....

robatsu
10-18-2007, 01:32 PM
I loved the comment below that was posted on the article (which was just the MSM revealing their contempt for the lumpenproles masked as a humorous, lighthearted piece):

This is really low. His popularity is rising, so the Wall Street Journal publishes names of regular joes in bold face along with their background information just so they can ridicule them. This is trying to dissuade people from donating. Did that Rupert Murdoch deal go through because this is below tabloid. Those people mentioned were never in the public eye for anything and this is how a supposed respected news organization acts. It would be one thing if it is celebrities who make a living in the public eye. Consider my subscription cancelled. I will not stand for this thuggery.

Like other people mentioned, how about exposing corrupt donors instead of ridiculing the working and unemployed public. Go to hell.